Stevie g - red till dead

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby adamnbarrett » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:45 pm

STEVIE REVEALS HIS DESIRE TO BE A RED FOREVER
Mark Platt 08 November 2005 
  Steven Gerrard has revealed a burning desire to stay in football once his playing days are over and he'd love it to be with Liverpool. 
The Reds captain may still be some way off retirement age but he admits to having already thought about what he'll do when he finally hangs up his boots.

Earlier this year Rafael Benitez hinted that in an ideal world he'd like Gerrard to one day succeed him in the Anfield hot-seat and while the inspirational midfielder is not about to start touting himself as a future Kop boss but he accepts that this would be a dream scenario.

He told Liverpoolfc.tv: "I'm always thinking about what I'll do after football. I know what the manager said in the summer but even before that it's always been my idea to stay involved with this football club for as long as I can.

"I've been here since I was eight years of age and it would be wonderful to think I could still be here after hanging up my boots. Whether that'd be in a managerial or coaching capacity I'm not sure.

"Of course, I'm still only 25 and the end of my playing career is still a long way off but the future is something that is constantly on my mind. Whatever happens I hope it is something linked Liverpool."

Gerrard is also quick to acknowledge that in Rafael Benitez and his coaching staff he has the perfect mentors should the day eventually come when he swaps his shin pads for a sheepskin coat.

"I learn things from the manager and coaching staff at Melwood every day and if I did ever become a boss then they'd influence me greatly, as would all the other fantastic manager's and coaches I have worked under. My ideas and tactics would be based on theirs," he says.

Gerrard has been impressed with the coaching techniques of Benitez and explains that the Spaniard has helped put the fun back into training at Melwood.

"As part of our warm-up one day in training recently we did a bit of shadow boxing. It was the manager's idea and it was just good to do something different.

"He must have got out of bed that morning, felt like Mohammed Ali and decided to get us all doing it. He ended up getting into a toy fight with Darren Potter though and came out the loser so I don't think he'll be doing that again!

"Seriously though, the training sessions are much more enjoyable these days. But Rafael Benitez is very serious and once the serious training starts there is no laughing or joking around. He's very keen on tactics and pays great attention to the smallest detail in preparation for each game."
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:50 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:"As part of our warm-up one day in training recently we did a bit of shadow boxing. It was the manager's idea and it was just good to do something different.

"He must have got out of bed that morning, felt like Mohammed Ali and decided to get us all doing it. He ended up getting into a toy fight with Darren Potter though and came out the loser so I don't think he'll be doing that again!

^^^ HAHAHA Imagine rafa fightin  :laugh:  :laugh:  :D  :D

Imagine Gerrard n Carra as manager and asisstant manager...

...wud be a deadly combination  :)
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:08 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:STEVIE REVEALS HIS DESIRE TO BE A RED FOREVER
Mark Platt 08 November 2005 
  Steven Gerrard has revealed a burning desire to stay in football once his playing days are over and he'd love it to be with Liverpool. 
The Reds captain may still be some way off retirement age but he admits to having already thought about what he'll do when he finally hangs up his boots.

Earlier this year Rafael Benitez hinted that in an ideal world he'd like Gerrard to one day succeed him in the Anfield hot-seat and while the inspirational midfielder is not about to start touting himself as a future Kop boss but he accepts that this would be a dream scenario.

He told Liverpoolfc.tv: "I'm always thinking about what I'll do after football. I know what the manager said in the summer but even before that it's always been my idea to stay involved with this football club for as long as I can.

"I've been here since I was eight years of age and it would be wonderful to think I could still be here after hanging up my boots. Whether that'd be in a managerial or coaching capacity I'm not sure.

"Of course, I'm still only 25 and the end of my playing career is still a long way off but the future is something that is constantly on my mind. Whatever happens I hope it is something linked Liverpool."

Gerrard is also quick to acknowledge that in Rafael Benitez and his coaching staff he has the perfect mentors should the day eventually come when he swaps his shin pads for a sheepskin coat.

"I learn things from the manager and coaching staff at Melwood every day and if I did ever become a boss then they'd influence me greatly, as would all the other fantastic manager's and coaches I have worked under. My ideas and tactics would be based on theirs," he says.

Gerrard has been impressed with the coaching techniques of Benitez and explains that the Spaniard has helped put the fun back into training at Melwood.

"As part of our warm-up one day in training recently we did a bit of shadow boxing. It was the manager's idea and it was just good to do something different.

"Seriously though, the training sessions are much more enjoyable these days. But Rafael Benitez is very serious and once the serious training starts there is no laughing or joking around. He's very keen on tactics and pays great attention to the smallest detail in preparation for each game."

Hearing this is no great surprise to be honest.

During our most succesful years we always did promote from within. Shanks was the last manager to come from another club before Souness. That era was our most successful. I would love to see a similar thing happen again.

Rafa has said he wants to create a legacy (or words along those lines anyway) much in the same way shanks did. Shanks took us from a Divison 2 side to the best in the land, he kick started it all. Rafa I feel wants to do a similar thing albeit starting from a higher level.

Shanks had Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish carry on his legacy all coming from within to step into the managers seat. Rafa's legacy could be continued in a similar way, the next manager coming from within. However whether Gerrard would make a good manager or not is too early to tell.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby primodua » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:36 pm

I know that gerrard is comparable to paisley, dalglish, fagan, rushie, etc. and I do hope that he stays here forever. Just like maldini.
I am not however too optimistic about the coaching stuff yet. Not just yet.

eat liverpool, drink liverpool, sleep liverpool
primodua

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:26 am

It'll be great deal if Stevie do succeeds Rafa in the future.
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:47 pm

I honestly think Stevie would be a good manager cos he's a good all rounder, he is a good motorvator, he loves the club and he's technically sound.  Hope it happens someday but remember guys he's only 25 :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion