Stevie g exclusive! - In the news of the world!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby thegreedo » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:35 pm

Am I being over sensitive or am I right in thinking our captain should not be lending his name to a feature in a rag with such close connections to the S*n.

I have to say although I'm loathed to be too hard on Stevie, I'm disgusted! He clearly hasn't thought this through properly as far as I'm concerned. What do you guy's think? :veryangry

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PhiLFC » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:44 pm

I see that paper and I just see the other rag - Its unfortunate and Stevie shoud keep well away... maybe his agent is to blame
PhiLFC

Postby XSD » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:58 pm

Rupert Murdoch owns 175 newspapers, and sky and fox. You can't just boycott everything out there because of the article in the sun, I know most people here watch football games on sky often. I would never read the sun but I would read the times and I would watch sky.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:04 pm

is it defo an exclusive?
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:08 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:is it defo an exclusive?

It is being advertised as such.

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:18 pm

Just been reading the thread about this over on RAWK and they are going well over the top on this one IMO. From what I hear it is extracts taken from his forthcoming book which to me says he hasn't sat in a room with a reporter and given an exclusive interview. It is a bit strange that stevie has allowed himself to be associated with the NOTW considering it's ties to the s*n but a clear definition has to be acknowledged that it isn't the sun, never printed any lies regarding hillsborough AFAIK and the likely case is that they've just paid the books publishers for the rights to serialise extracts from it and stevie had no say in it.

LETS NOT CRUCIFY THE LAD BEFORE WE KNOW THE FACTS!
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:31 pm

owen wrote in the NOTW for years and no one said a word
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Dalglish » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:40 pm

Rupert Murdoch may well own 175 Newspapers but of those only three are in print in this country so it's hardly a difficult thing to avoid them is it ???

The NOTW is a despicable publication and it's the S*Ns Sister paper just in case anyone is unclear ???

Stevie G , his agent and whoever can clutch at straws and argue the merits or otherwise of providing an exclusive to thie ragf if they must but try telling that to the HJC families ???

Shocking piece of misjudgement on Stevie G's part if the stories are true
:(
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:01 pm

stmichael wrote:owen wrote in the NOTW for years and no one said a word

With all due respect St Mike, as far as I'm aware from your previous posts you regularly attend games and as a result of this I can only assume you attended them with cotton wool in your ears around the time of the Owen articles. I for one heard many a heated discussion about Owen's decision to add his name to the columns run by that paper.

Look, I would never seek to slaughter Stevie, his contribution to the recent successes of our club have been amazing. I just feel this is a incredibly thoughtless move by a player I consider to have a fair degree of intelligence. It seems churlish to blame poor advisers. Steve of all people should understand the strength of feeling towards these publications from the people of Liverpool.

I think Steve has made a big mistake, I hope he will come to realise this and not repeat it in the future!

thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:07 pm

thegreedo wrote:
stmichael wrote:owen wrote in the NOTW for years and no one said a word

With all due respect St Mike, as far as I'm aware from your previous posts you regularly attend games and as a result of this I can only assume you attended them with cotton wool in your ears around the time of the Owen articles. I for one heard many a heated discussion about Owen's decision to add his name to the columns run by that paper.

Look, I would never seek to slaughter Stevie, his contribution to the recent successes of our club have been amazing. I just feel this is a incredibly thoughtless move by a player I consider to have a fair degree of intelligence. It seems churlish to blame poor advisers. Steve of all people should understand the strength of feeling towards these publications from the people of Liverpool.

I think Steve has made a big mistake, I hope he will come to realise this and not repeat it in the future!

Fair enough.

With regards to Owen's involvement with the NOTW, I remember reading a rumour that he seeked clarification from either the club, hjc or hfsg about being able to write for them and then being given the go ahead.  ???

I dunno if this is true but any lfc player who associates with either of those rags should be ashamed of themselves.
Last edited by stmichael on Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Dalglish » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:08 pm

Spot On Greedo . Owen got some stick at the time for his NOTW work and I've no doubt LFC Fans will let Stevie G know exactly how they feel.

Of course Stevie G has done a lot for this club but he's not immune to criticism when he makes a bad call as I believe he has in this case.

People talk about "moving on" and that horrible American term "closure" when it comes to Hillsborough and I accept that for some people it's important to work through the aftermath of that fateful day but when it comes to forgiveness for publications such as the S*n and the NOTW then there has to be some signs that these papers have changed their ways but a cursory look at headlines on the front pages of these papers will tell you they haven't changed at all and their only regret regarding Hillsborough was being found out and suffering a downturn in circulation ! ???

Forgiveness comes when regret and change are evident but I don't see either from the S*n !
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:11 pm

Not the wisest move by Stevie, but I don't see the point in going over the top on this one.

What are we realistically going to do about it?  Sell him?  Boo him for the first 10 games of the season?  What would be the point in that?

I'm sure by now someone has had a word in his ear about it and it's probably best left at that.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedWolf35 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:37 pm

Being from the Midlands I never lost anyone on that tragic day.

Stevie has given so much for this club and yes he has been paid very handsomely, however, he is a Liverpool supporter so he should have had more sense.

Lets put it down to a serious case of bad judgement but nothing more

Stevie -   don't be so naive in the future mate

:bowdown
RedWolf35

Postby LFCFan4Life » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:54 pm

I have read from the local fans online, that Steven asked HJC if he could have his book extracts in NOTW, and they said yes.

Make of it what you will, but I don't think that Steven is daft. Surely he must know that NOTW has obvious connections to the S*n, he wouldn't had let his book extrats be published in the NOTW if he hadn't asked HJC for the permission to do so.
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:07 pm

As a Liverpool supporter from outside Liverpool, I had never felt the pain ,horror and anger that the people of Liverpool felt in the aftermath of Hillsborough. Yes I was shocked and angry at the lies spread by the s*n, but I never truly understood (and I probably never will)how deep the hurt that the s*ns lies made so much worse, and the anger felt by a whole City. Its only now through use of the internet have I begun to to understand ,if only a little, how you must feel.
          I have tried to write this with care because I would hate to offend or add to anyones hurt, I am sure that Stevie would never do anything knowingly to add to that pain.

Y.N.W.A.
account deleted by request

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion