World exclusive - Benitez is the man

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Wed May 26, 2004 3:47 pm

Valencia playing bad football?

I think you might be thinking of them under Hectar Cuper three years ago.

Valencia are the darlings of the Spanish press at the moment for winning a "double" by having no money and playing good football!
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Wed May 26, 2004 3:52 pm

valencia are so good because they can play in a number of ways. if they want to play defensive they can play defensive. however they are also superb going forward.

one of the problems we had was that we couldn't alter our style of play based on the opposition we were facing.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Stan Laurel » Wed May 26, 2004 4:33 pm

I am not keen about playing defensive formation, because we have been watching Liverpool playing defensive for last more than 2 years, it is not attractive things to watch. I don't want that happen in Anfield again.

I rather watch Liverpool to play attack attack attack attack all the time like we did in 70s, 80s and early 90s, that was absolutely beautiful football to watch.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed May 26, 2004 4:39 pm

every fan wants to be entertained at home matches. that is why we all fork out close to £500 quid a season to watch the team. last season, apart from the spurs, arsenal, birmingham and blackburn games, i wasn't really entertained. the style of football and general cautionness led to anxiety amongst the supporters and consequently, a lack of atmosphere.

we have the players to be very attack minded, we just need a manager who allows them to express themselves and not necessarily play to a rigid system. freedom of expression is why arsenal are so good. they don't have set positions, they are constantly interchanging and seem to know what their fellow players are going to do.

attack is the best form of defence, not the other way round!
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Wed May 26, 2004 6:44 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Valencia playing bad football?

Not sure if anybody actually said that JBG.
Valencia did indeed boss us off the park. In fact they made us look like beginners.I'm not sure if that says how good they were or how bad we had become.
I must hold my hand up and admit I haven't seen a lot of them but what I have seen hasn't been EXCITING .
I was worried we might become like the old Arsenal ,( hard to beat, grinding out one nil wins) if Benitez took over.Anyway from the latest news flashes it looks like Benitez has ruled himself out, so this is all academic.
Back on the rumour roundabout . :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Wed May 26, 2004 7:01 pm

PS, I think the squad we have would welcome a fast attacking football philosophy,
espescially, Owen, Gerrard,Kewell,Baros, and Diouff. :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Wed May 26, 2004 7:02 pm

woof woof ! wrote:PS, I think the squad we have would welcome a fast attacking football philosophy,
espescially, Owen, Gerrard,Kewell,Baros, and Diouff. :)

And Cisse  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed May 26, 2004 10:00 pm

I really do think that some of you guys are missing the point here. Although these teams (that the prospective managers are doing so well at now) are good, you have to remember that whoever gets the job a t LFC will have to work with more or less the same players that are here now.

With the best will in the World, the new manager will only really be able to bring in two to three new players. I know the Cisse deal is dun and dusted, so that will eat up some funding and leave less in the coffers.

These teams that are flying, Murhino's Porto, Benitez's Valencia, Capello's Roma etc have been moulded over the last three years at least, and the expectation levels here, coupled with the proposed influx of cash means the fans are, (rightly so or not), even more expectant of some real changes, a real push in the league and great success. This will not change over night.

If a new man is appointed in two weeks time, then following the Euro finals he will have only two to three weeks to play friendlies, check out his squad and bring in his own players or staff before we get competitive again in the CL qualifier.

I personally beleive that some one has already agreed to take up the position, who I dont know, but would the board really offload Heskey, sign Cisse and essentially make descisions on the squad and the team without consulting a prospective new boss. In my opinion NO.

I am very very excited at this time, lots of cash for some real good players, a new manager, Capello or Murhino make me ****** my pants and the prospect of my beloved reds regaining thei rightful position at the summit of European football. However I am also very nervous, about who will be appointed, where this Thai cash will leave us and Stevie and Michael upping sticks.

What a time to be a Liverpool fan.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed May 26, 2004 10:09 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:I am very very excited at this time, lots of cash for some real good players, a new manager, Capello or Murhino make me ****** my pants and the prospect of my beloved reds regaining thei rightful position at the summit of European football. However I am also very nervous, about who will be appointed, where this Thai cash will leave us and Stevie and Michael upping sticks.

What a time to be a Liverpool fan.

Very true. This is a major watershed for LFC. Get it right and we can be at the very pinnacle of Europe again within 2-3 years. Get it wrong and we might have a serious battle to ever recover.

I'm not expecting anything to happen overnight but with the right manager and a couple of key signings (as well as the retention of Stevie & Owen) we can start to make real headway for the first time since 2001.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Wed May 26, 2004 11:04 pm

I think any fans being realistic will give the manager a chance to start building his squad.
It's not instant success I am interested in, I want to see possitive energy in our Liverpool team, 11 men playing at 100% and not to be dissapointed by seasons where Southampton can do the double on us :/
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed May 26, 2004 11:44 pm

Intereted to note tonight watching Porto that they have ben asembled at a fraction of the cost of most of Europe's big hitters. Benitez also has assembled a decent team playing attractive football on a budget. At the end of the day there is no substitute for astute tactical awareness and getting players to work as a team.

In an age when most cklubs want to throw money at the problem and expect instant success its reassuring to see in Spain, Portugal, France,Germany and England in the shape of Arsenal its not brought success.

Benitez .... Its a done deal :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leothelion » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:39 pm

BENITEZ CONFIRMED AS NEW LFC BOSS
Paul Rogers & Steve Hunter 16 June 2004 
  Rafael Benitez has today been confirmed as the new Liverpool manager. The former Valencia manager follows Gerard Houllier into the Kop hotseat and will take charge of his first game against Celtic on July 26. 
Rafael Benitez is the first Spaniard to manage Liverpool and the capture of his services is a shrewd one by the club.

There is no doubting his credentials after leading Valencia to a league and UEFA Cup double in 2004, overcoming the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona. It was Valencia's second La Liga title in three years under Benitez.

Indeed, in his first season in charge at Valencia he led the club to their first La Liga title for 31 years and quickly became something of a legend amongst the Valencia fans.

Benitez was born in Madrid in April 1960 and during his days as a player had a spell with the mighty Real Madrid. He never played for Real though and spent most of his career in the lower leagues in Spain.

It was his coaching that made him the man he is today. He started out coaching the youngsters at Real Madrid in 1986 and was in charge of their youth team. Unhappy spells in charge of Spanish teams Valladolid and Osasuna followed before he led Second Division side Extremadura to promotion in 1997.

During the 1999/2000 season Benitez took a year out to study coaching methods in Italy and England, which certainly stood him in good stead on his return to management. He studied coaching at Manchester United and Arsenal which certainly gave him a good insight into English football.

He returned as head coach of Second Division side Tenerife in 2000 and a year later was to be the start of a fairytale success story with Valencia. His appointment as successor to Hector Cuper was met with mixed reaction and questioned by fans and pundits alike. However Benitez was to have the last laugh as Valencia won the league title.

The following season was disappointing and like Liverpool, Valencia finished fifth in the league. However they did have a good run in the Champions League and reached the quarter-finals. Liverpool fans will well remember coming up againstValencia in the Champions League and we lost twice, 2-0 at the Mestalla Stadium and 1-0 at Anfield. Many fans and pundits remarked after those games how well Valencia had played and were honest in the fact that Valencia outclassed Liverpool in both matches. Not many argued against that point.

Benitez is something of a perfectionist and is a very technical coach who uses computer technology to monitor his players' diets and physical development. He also has a degree in Physical Education
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
"MEMBER OF BEAVIS CREW"
leothelion
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:54 pm

It's all good isn't it?  Roll on July 1st when the transfer window opens.
jonnymac1979

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:21 pm

Its already open Johnnymac, the 1st July is the signifcant date cus Cisse's deal is completed that day.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion