Stelios wants in... - ...but will we open the door?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:20 pm

Bav,

Benitez needs a cat-scan if he's even remotely thinking about letting Hamann go, after all his years of service to our club the least we can do is let him hang his boots up as a Liverpool player. I really hope you're wrong & Hamann isn't sold that will be a very stupid move. He hasn't lost his form and still remains a good player.

:(

Can Stellios even play CM?
48-1119859832

Postby tubby » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:35 pm

0asis wrote:Bav,

Benitez needs a cat-scan if he's even remotely thinking about letting Hamann go, after all his years of service to our club the least we can do is let him hang his boots up as a Liverpool player. I really hope you're wrong & Hamann isn't sold that will be a very stupid move. He hasn't lost his form and still remains a good player.

Well he nearly left last season and signed a 1 year deal. So unless is going to hand himanother im not sure i he will be here this season. If he is going to retire with us so be it.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAGE UK » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:35 pm

Lets try and sign a player that is going to be with us for a few years at least.(unless they don’t produce for us).we have got no room for a player with age we want a player to age with us. Build for the future. Let’s invest in Liverpool’s future.
Lest take a look at robbe fowler ok he was grate for us one of Liverpool’s grate strikers .ok now he is back he is slower used to sitting on the bench.
How often do you think he will get a game in for us raffs will only use him if we get an injury or he is resting someone.
Fowler would have been better off going to a team that will play him regularly.
I don’t think he wants to finish his time as a player sitting on the bench for us.
My point is we want younger players in there prime .
LIVERPOOL FC    ….> NOW THAT’S ENTERTAINMENT <…
RAGE UK

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:01 pm

we need out and out wingers, not forwards who can also play wide. i saw us linked with malbranque again this week. whilst a good player, he's another who is not a natural wide player despite playing there for his club.
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby tubby » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:06 pm

And they will come. Rafa has been working hard with the scouting team and we have 3 or 4 of Englands brightest youngsters. Im sure at least 1 or 2 will become a first teamer if not all.

Rafa has shown to us with the exception of a few people that hes is pretty goof in the transfer market. What we havent seen though is how good he is at youngsters. Im sure we will see the 1st of them breaking through into the first team.

However Stellios could provide a usefull player as cover should Hamman retire with us at the end of this year or choose to return home to Germany

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby onizukaeikichi » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:06 pm

gary macca cost nothing dude, this idiot signed a new contract so he will cost us some cash that we can wisely use it to buy younger and better players
onizukaeikichi

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:22 pm

With Gerrard proving to be almost as good as he is a central midfielder in a wide position, Momo growing from strength to strength in a central position, and the fine capture of Gonzales (though a left-footer, can still offer possibilities on the right, as can Kewell), the emphasis of our summer spending has to be on someone upfront rather than right wing.

I prefer allocating top dollar on strikers like Torres/Villa or second strikers like Aimar/Tevez, and spending a more modest sum on the likes of Malbranque/Giuly/Pennant.

With Aurelio all but sewn up (according to most rumours I heard), we have only two positions left to fill, with the forward position arguably more crucial than wide right.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby tubby » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:26 pm

I wonder if Rafa will keep Harry Kewell. Im sue were all happ at his performances this side of xmas and his goal the other da was the Kewell of old no doubt about it. If h keeps performing like tis and scores a few more before the end of th season Rafa is going to want to kep him. Surley if this happenes then He wil have to gt rid of Traore and maybe Warnock aswell. I have a feeling that Rafa will sell Kewell to fund other players.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:29 pm

stmichael wrote:With Gerrard proving to be almost as good as he is a central midfielder in a wide position, Momo growing from strength to strength in a central position, and the fine capture of Gonzales (though a left-footer, can still offer possibilities on the right, as can Kewell), the emphasis of our summer spending has to be on someone upfront rather than right wing.

I prefer allocating top dollar on strikers like Torres/Villa or second strikers like Aimar/Tevez, and spending a more modest sum on the likes of Malbranque/Giuly/Pennant.

With Aurelio all but sewn up (according to most rumours I heard), we have only two positions left to fill, with the forward position arguably more crucial than wide right.

I still think we need 2 forwards to be honest, on top of a right midfielder - so I'd say we still have 3 positions to fill.  I'd agree with the allocation of funds though.  We're better investing more in the forwards department than right midfield.

Over the season it's been putting chances away that's cost us rather than creating chances, so at least one quality centre forward is an absolute minimum requirement this summer.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:02 am

I must admit that I have wondered what might have been a few times this season - if we'd have picked up Stelios last summer, we'd have had more goals from another midfielder, and some good delivery from the right.

Even though he signed a 3 year contract, his advancing age, and the fact that any investment would be in a player with little or no sell on fee would keep his price down.

Definitely wouldn't rule him out, to be honest, particularly if he's upfront about wanting to come. He's not an earth-shattering player, but he's a grafter, will run up and down the right all day long, and he's got good delivery on crosses. It's still a problem area for us, and if the money's inconsiderable, he'd be a great squad option.

I take stmichael's point about Gonzales and Kewell being able to do a job, but to be honest I'd be happier keeping the left strong and bringing a man or two in to try and do the same on the right. A left footer on the left and a right footer on the right makes a hell of a difference, and given the speed some of our attacks happen at times, having a player that doesn't have to take a touch to cut to the other foot could make the difference between springing a defensive line and letting a side get numbers back to nullify our threat.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:14 am

bavlondon wrote:
0asis wrote:Bav,

Well he nearly left last season and signed a 1 year deal. So unless is going to hand himanother im not sure i he will be here this season. If he is going to retire with us so be it.

Hamann signed a 1-year contract with an option to extend for another year once he played so many games for us, so I believe.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:30 am

bavlondon wrote:And they will come. Rafa has been working hard with the scouting team and we have 3 or 4 of Englands brightest youngsters. Im sure at least 1 or 2 will become a first teamer if not all.

Rafa has shown to us with the exception of a few people that hes is pretty goof in the transfer market. What we havent seen though is how good he is at youngsters. Im sure we will see the 1st of them breaking through into the first team.

However Stellios could provide a usefull player as cover should Hamman retire with us at the end of this year or choose to return home to Germany

eh...........i think stellios is a RW not an "anchor" midfielder....

my take is, if we don't get a good RW by next season, then by all means sign stellios....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tel » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:36 am

With hindsight, given how our season has gone, and how he has played this year, its unfortunate we didnt bring him over.

For all the threads raving about Jermain Pennant, this Stelios guy has had a much better season.

Having said that, he's no longer an option for us.
tel

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:06 am

We wasnt able to sign him last year because talks broke down between the two clubs, and then he signed a new contract with the Trotters. He didnt exactly say he would only like to go to Liverpool but any bigger club would do for him. I personally wouldnt buy him out of his contract now he's 31 isnt he ?
Theres nothing wrong with experiance but I'd look down the other end of the spectrum as far as age is concerned, Someone who's younger and will be in the side for a lot longer.

I think RM should still be one of our top priorities come the transfer window, and I dont think playing Gonzalez or Kewell out on the right is an ideal solution . Look at the national side for instance we havent had a decent left midfielder for years now. Gerrards been out there (wide left ) just about everyone with a right foot has been out there all baring Paul Robinson and nothing has ever worked.
So if thats anything to go by having a left footed player running down the right flank isnt any good, when trying to balance a side up.

What about Bastian Shweinstiger I've heard the young German looks a good prospect ?
66-1112520797

Postby Effes » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:02 am

Been thinking lately about whether we'll go and spend big on a RW.

If we do, then we've got our first choice trio of Alonso, Sissoko and Gerrard plus this RW - add Kewell/Gonzalez, then aren't we looking at 3-5-2 next season?
That's assuming Gerrard is TEMPORARILY playing as a right midfielder.

Is this why Rafa surprised everyone with the Newcastle selection?
Is he thinking of maybe using 3-5-2 next season with the addition of players signed in the Summer?

It'll be interesting to see.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion