Stelios - Can he do the job at right wing?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:53 pm

Reports in the media today are stating that Stelios Giannakopoulos will sign for Liverpool this week in a £1million move.

The Greek Euro 2004 winner is poised to become Rafael Benitez's latest signing as the Anfield revolution under the Spanish boss continues.

Allardyce believes he gave Stelios the Premiership platform to boost his career and is disappointed in the disloyalty shown by the Greek midfielder.

Stelios, who has a £1m escape clause in his contract, is scheduled to hold talks with Liverpool officials over personal terms in the next few days before completing his move after a medical.

------------------------------------------------------------

I personally think he would be a good SQUAD player. i wouldn't be to keen on starting him every match, i would use him for back-up. i still think we need a better right winger than stelios. however, for 1million pounds, that ent bad!
what are your thoughts on stelios? Good/Bad/Average???
another point i'd like to point across is do you think finnan should or could play on the right for us? i mean he played for fulham on the right wing and even for houllier sometimes.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby barnesrush » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:05 pm

yeah i think stelios would be a good bit of business for 1m. We could perhaps do with a younger rigght winger, but in terms of proven talent we cant go far wrong here.
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby barnesrush » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:06 pm

now we see how rafa plans to beat the boltons of this league. by buying their best players :p
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby 76-1115222408 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:10 pm

Yea for 1 million it is good business to add a player with PL experience, that wont be a regular starter, but will be more than decent whenever called upon to play. He is also a decent crosser of the ball too!

To be honest, I think he wil offer more than Garcia does on the right of midfield, he is a lot stronger and wont lose the ball as often as LG. LG is definetly not a right midfielder and plays a lot better in 'the hole' between striker and midfield!
If was a battle between the two, I would expect to see Luis play in Europe and Stelios more in the PL, especially AWAY from home!

YNWA
Last edited by 76-1115222408 on Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
76-1115222408

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:13 pm

Finnan did play on the right for fulham, and he still plays there for Ireland at times, but IMO he's pretty limited as a midfielder.  No real pace, tricks or ability to go by a man.  Half decent crosser, but thats it.  He's a solid full back, we'd be foolish to move him from there.

As for Stelios, he's cheap, would give good width, has premiership experience and most importantly it would really pi.ss off allardyce!!  Seriously though, if theres any truth in the malbranque rumours I'd prefer him to stelios.  If it is stelios though, he's not a bad signing for the squad.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gary106 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:15 pm

i think he's avergae tbh, at bolton he was one of their best players but he'll just be average for us,, he aint gona set us alight now is he.

although fro 1mill you cant get better at all, with experience and PL knowledge. but we still need a player that is good enough for a first choice start week in week out IMO

and yes i agree garcia in the hole is the bets place for him (depending on opponents)
gary106

Postby 76-1115222408 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:23 pm

Malbrangue Vs Stelios

Gotta be SSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD !!!!! 
:D
76-1115222408

Postby A.B. » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:25 pm

Stelios the other day said that he would commit his future to Bolton. The same reports who are reporting this reported that Sheva would join Chelsea for certain.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby barnesrush » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:33 pm

who are these reporters who are reporting these reports AB?
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby A.B. » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:39 pm

"Daily Star" say that we want to sign Stelios.

PremierLeague.com says that Stelios has decided to commit his future to Bolton.
Last edited by A.B. on Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Feeney » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:50 pm

Stelios is a very average player. He's a mid sized fish in a very small pond at Bolton - if he comes here, he will not achieve any more than Nunez did.

I understand we need cover, but at what cost? I don't believe in signing medioctrity purely for cover - and as much as I believe that if you play with better players, you become better yourself, I don't think he has what it takes to cut the mustard. ???

Just read my post back to myself - how many phrases did I coin there?  :p :D

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:55 pm

I don't think we're going to sign Stelios, because he would be just cover. But what the hell are we covering for? We don't have a natural right winger, Luis Garcia isn't a winger so if Benitez is going to sign a right winger it's going to be a player whose is going to be first choice for that position.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby RedorDead » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:45 am

[quote]i think he's avergae tbh, at bolton he was one of their best players but he'll just be average for us,, he aint gona set us alight now is he.
[quote]

Bolton finished level on points with us last season and have a very good squad. Sam Allardyce has built a great team spirit amongst a real mish-mash of international players and got them playing great. If Stelios is the star of a team including Okocha then that is no bad thing. He was also one of the best players in the Greek team that won the European Championships last year. I am not saying that he is world class or anything but for 1 million pounds I would have at Anfield in a heartbeat. And who knows, in our squad with Rafa getting the most out of him who is to say that he won't become a super star and first team regular?
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:17 am

Benitez is looking for a RM that would be first choice imo, Stelios would be a back up to that RM if we would try to sign him.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:53 am

Yes, he can sell hotdogs.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion