Reds in with stelios bid

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:39 pm

ken_job wrote:I rate Giannokopoulos. admittedly hes not a 'world beater' but he is a strong, determined, consistent midfielder with premiership experience. he put in some really solid performances for bolton last year and scored some valuable goals. (especially against weaker oposition)

Hes the type of player we needed last season for the games after we returned from a mid-week european game. those saturdays where we looked jaded and uninterested and finished the game with 0 points. this is when strong, consistent squad players come in and do the job while some of the first teamers can sit on the bench and take a breather.

For this role, i think he is ideally suited. on the subject of vladi & igor. it will be a shame to see igor go but these two were far from consistent.

I think thats spot on Ken. He is a little fighter gets into tricky positions looses his marker, and will no doubt try and prove himself more at Liverpool he will want to fight for a regular place.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:45 pm

Stelios will prove to be exactly what he is at Bolton and for Greece, a hard working and effective midfielder and for £1.7 milliion is a worthwhile acquisition.

Looking at rafa's transfer record of the 6  players he has purchased Garcia, Morientes and Carson most would say have been decent buys. There are mixed feelings on Pelegrino , Nunez and Josemi but it's important to realise he didn't pay big money for any of these players.
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ken_job » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:58 pm

The more i think about it the more sense it seems to make, he is also a very good crosser of the ball. Rafa will be eyeing good crossers to supply Morientes

Does anyone else agree that Nunez is hopeless. Not even Championship standard. Absolutely average at everything he does.???
ken_job

Postby Dalglish » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:04 am

ken_job wrote:The more i think about it the more sense it seems to make, he is also a very good crosser of the ball. Rafa will be eyeing good crossers to supply Morientes

Does anyone else agree that Nunez is hopeless. Not even Championship standard. Absolutely average at everything he does.???

Nunez got better the more he played but to be truthful he couldn't have got much worse.  ???

Ironically his best performance was probably in the Carling Cup Final and he made the bench for the European Cup final which surprised most fans ....

But I am inclined to agree that Stelios is the better player, certainly more seasoned in the Prem having played for Bolton there for a few seasons. Also people sometimes conveniently forget Bolton finished LEVEL on pts with LFC and only missed out on goal Difference plus Stelios has a European Championship Medal in his possession having played a crucial part for Greece in 2004.

His passing and crossing are excellent as you have said and he weighs in with his fair share of goals as well.

1.7 Million , fine ..buy

:)
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:29 am

Very good post.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby banana » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:48 am

It these reports are true, then I'd definately say he is part of the Diouf package. If we need more competition in the squad, and Bolton can't pay us good money for Diouf, then why not take a squad player instead? Stelios is  not world class, not top premiership class, decent squad player I reckon.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby skipper » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:55 am

Hopefully, he will play just like smicer did in the final.  He could be useful if guys get injured (i hope not!).
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:18 am

Dalglish wrote:Stelios will prove to be exactly what he is at Bolton and for Greece, a hard working and effective midfielder and for £1.7 milliion is a worthwhile acquisition.

Looking at rafa's transfer record of the 6  players he has purchased Garcia, Morientes and Carson most would say have been decent buys. There are mixed feelings on Pelegrino , Nunez and Josemi but it's important to realise he didn't pay big money for any of these players.

Exactly right, some people seem to just dismiss him without any thought becuse he plays for Bolton and doesn't score flashy goals or whatever these people want.

He is a very hard-working player, a real goal threat, and quite a worry for defenders as he is quick and can cross quite well. For £1.7 million he would be a very handy sqaud player.

Zenden on the other hand, I'm not so sure about, he's not even half the player he used to be when at Chelsea.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:18 am

if you make him wear  Giannakopoulos on his shirt just think of the extra revenue the club shop will make, how much do they charge per letter?   ???
112-1077774096

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:24 am

LFC #1 wrote:Zenden on the other hand, I'm not so sure about, he's not even half the player he used to be when at Chelsea.

Don't agree with that at all mate, Zenden has had 2 very good seasons with boro, even excelling in centre mid which is not his preferred position.

At chelsea he was in and out of the side and struggled to find the form he had at barcelona.

Zenden would be a better squad man than stelios IMO.He is more versatile and can fill in at left back and centre mid as well as left wing.

We do need a bigger squad though and if we can bring in both zenden and stelios who are consistent decent players proven in the prem and at international level, and both available on the cheap, then why not?

Our best 11 can beat the best on their day, its the squad that needs beefing up
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BringBackTiti » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:32 am

he's got no hair and we dont care steliosssss! steliosssss!

Id take the pair of them they both know what the prem is about and will come in handy when we are playing a few games a week.
''I talk about the table. We need a leg, so I have bought a leg.'' Rafa Benitez
BringBackTiti
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafalution » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:53 am

I must admit that when I first heard these rumours I was rather worried as I thought neither player would be good enough for Liverpool, but the more I think about it, the more I can see them bringing to the squad.

They are both quite clever players who in my opinion would give us more options.
Zenden is very adept at making clever runs off the ball into the box without being picked. He is also very comfortable on the ball and rarely wastes posession. Add to that his versatility to play in a number of positions.
Also he might offer some serious opposition to the work shy Aussie who might finally sort his act out.
I would like to see Zenden on the left of midfield with Risse behind him at left back as those two could easily interchange postions during a game as both are comfortable at left mid or full back.
Stelios is also very comfortable on the ball and has quite a lot of skill. I watched him play in the confederatiosn cup for Greece and he was probably their most creative player. He can easily provide a killer pass and also has good movement off the ball.
Both players are proven in the english league and are experienced so will hopefully prove to be good additions to the squad.
Rafalution

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:55 am

He's not the top quality player that we would have been drooling over as the transfer talk started, but he is a very capable, determined and hardworking player.

The kind we need to battle in away games when things are possibly a bit flat. Also as a player to step in after a midweek European game. We have sadly missed players of that quality in recent years.

He's shown he can score a few goals too. He got 7 in the league last season. This in a team with Diouf being the top scorer on 9, Davies on 8 with Pedersen and Okocha on 6 each. Quite a high proportion in a low scoring team.

Despite the massive loss on the cost of Diouf, I reckon we'd still be getting the better part of the exchange if we get him for £2m.

If it happens, he'll be a very useful addition and strengthening of the squad who knows the Premiership.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:12 am

john craig wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:Zenden on the other hand, I'm not so sure about, he's not even half the player he used to be when at Chelsea.

Don't agree with that at all mate, Zenden has had 2 very good seasons with boro, even excelling in centre mid which is not his preferred position.

At chelsea he was in and out of the side and struggled to find the form he had at barcelona.

Zenden would be a better squad man than stelios IMO.He is more versatile and can fill in at left back and centre mid as well as left wing.

We do need a bigger squad though and if we can bring in both zenden and stelios who are consistent decent players proven in the prem and at international level, and both available on the cheap, then why not?

Our best 11 can beat the best on their day, its the squad that needs beefing up

fair enough mate, you make a good point baout his versatility, I just think he is on the slide that's all, personally I favour Stelios, some will disagree, some won't.

Zenden would still do a better job than Kewell at the minute though.   :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:33 am

At 1.7 million i think he would be a very handy purchase , just because he doesnt come from a glamour club  his value especially EPL experience shouldnt be discounted.
Like others have said , its probably despite the public protestations otherwise part of the Diouf deal
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion