Sissoko - Myth or hope?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:10 pm

john craig wrote:A few people are being a bit harsh on Momo here imo - especially the analogy used by someone saying he's the 2007 Carlton Palmer, that's way over the top.

The reason we aren't going to win the league this season isn't because Sissoko can't pass, it's because our forwards haven't scored enough and neither have the likes of Pennant and Gonzalez who you'd have expected to chip in with a few more.

Spot on John. I'm amazed at the consensus of criticism aimed at Momo on here and a lot of it is over the top for me. No doubt he had a shocker with the ball against the mancs last weekend, in fact it must have been his worst game at the club in terms of passing the ball. However, his performance with the ball is usually far better and more akin to the Barca game at the Nou Camp where his distribution was simple but effective. Also you will recall Fergie said we upset their rythym with our pressing game on Saturday. Take Momo out of the side and our pressing game is NOWHERE near as effective. He really is a tank!!!

I agree with Bad Bob when he says Sissoko needs to show more composure on the ball and believe that he can/will improve this aspect of his game given time. Watch him in tight situations i.e. when he has the ball with a couple of defenders hounding him and little time to think about what to do with the ball, he is superb. he shows quick feet, a trick or two, lots of strength and usually gets the ball to a teamate quickly. On the flip-side, give him a bit of time and space on the ball and a chance to think and he tends to come a bit unstuck. He can and will improve his decision-making and i also think his confidence will improve when he gets that all important first goal for the club.

I agree that he probably shouldn't always play when we are up against the likes of Watford or charlton at home because Stevie/Alsonso is a far more creative partnership.

Would be good to see a bit more balance in opinions of the lad on here. He was the greatest thing since sliced bread after the Nou Camp and then suddenly it's 'we'll never win the league with Momo' after a bad game against the mancs.
Last edited by Scottbot on Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:59 pm

john craig wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:the fact he doesnt create much going forward doesnt phase me atall I know his game is all about breaking down attacks, making the challenges and adding energy to the midfield. Which I hold in high regard as a key position, but with that needs to come  the ability of picking a pass. Even if its a simple lay off a-la Hamman would be fine but recently he hasnt shown even the composure to do that, which could be costly.

The point about Hamann is a good one (although Hamann was in fact a very good passer of the ball, long and short).

I'd even look at someone like Neil Lennon for Celtic.  Never
scores or creates anything, yet not much gets past him.  He breaks up play, never gives the ball away and gives his team a platform on which to build.  Sissoko could become a better version of that type of player, he has a far better engine, better aerially, better in the tackle and is more aggressive.  He wins tackles he has no right to win.  If you could harness his attributes and add a bit of composure and the ability to know when to just pick a simple pass sideways or back rather than always looking forward, then we'd have a hell of a midfielder.  Thankfully I think Sissoko's shortcomings can be ironed out in training and with experience.

neil lennon looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

why not get chris sutton aswell and come to think of it who does john hartson play for do you think we could get him ?????
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:07 pm

RedBlood wrote:
john craig wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:the fact he doesnt create much going forward doesnt phase me atall I know his game is all about breaking down attacks, making the challenges and adding energy to the midfield. Which I hold in high regard as a key position, but with that needs to come  the ability of picking a pass. Even if its a simple lay off a-la Hamman would be fine but recently he hasnt shown even the composure to do that, which could be costly.

The point about Hamann is a good one (although Hamann was in fact a very good passer of the ball, long and short).

I'd even look at someone like Neil Lennon for Celtic.  Never
scores or creates anything, yet not much gets past him.  He breaks up play, never gives the ball away and gives his team a platform on which to build.  Sissoko could become a better version of that type of player, he has a far better engine, better aerially, better in the tackle and is more aggressive.  He wins tackles he has no right to win.  If you could harness his attributes and add a bit of composure and the ability to know when to just pick a simple pass sideways or back rather than always looking forward, then we'd have a hell of a midfielder.  Thankfully I think Sissoko's shortcomings can be ironed out in training and with experience.

neil lennon looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

why not get chris sutton aswell and come to think of it who does john hartson play for do you think we could get him ?????

:laugh:

You have to love numpties that can't read.

Where in my post did I say we should sign Neil Lennon??

Signing a 36 year old whose legs are gone and who is struggling to get a new contract for an SPL side doesn't float my boat either mate :laugh:
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:14 pm

go back an read your post because it sounds very much like your neil lennons PA
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby peterc1992 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:31 pm

He has no talent whatsoever,hes not ronaldinho,gerrard or kaka,but hes a gattuso,who runs around the pitch like a mad man,winning the ball back and intercepting passes.But when he does intercept that pass he should get rid of it straight away,and when the ball leaves his foot.....hes :censored:.He breaks down the play and hes a good battler
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:37 pm

RedBlood wrote:go back an read your post because it sounds very much like your neil lennons PA

Read again his post mate... he didn't say we should buy lennon... read it a few times you will get it. He merely stated that Sissoko should adopt a technical ability similar to neil lennon's or makelele one, which is composure.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:34 pm

:p
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:13 pm

he is still young, aspects of his game are not the finished article, but look how far he has come since his league debut at boro.

the poor passing and control have improved since then, but i must admit they need to improve a lot more.
Its a good job he has such high stamina he needs it to chase the ball after his poor first touches, :laugh: :p
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:33 pm

The really frustrating thing about Momo is, and it has been recognised by loads of us, that he does the hard part of the game really well- getting the ball of the opposition. He harries and works and, despite the fact that he has had a career-threatening injury before the age of 23, he is NEVER afraid to go in where it hurts with blood and thunder challenges. However when he gets the ball, he has a rush of blood and gives it straight back, forcing him to do the same thing over and over again!

Momo- look up, find Xabi, and give him the ball. Let him do the rest!

The Alonso/Gerrard combo is too immobile IMO, they both want to dictate the game from the centre circle and the energy levels aren't the sams as when the Momeister is on the pitch, I'll no doubt incur much wrath for this, but I'd take Momo over Alonso in the centre of the park at this point.

I dont have a problem with that pairing as its fairly clear that Gerrard will play most of his football in the Centre against nearly all average teams.

I think it will be Gerrard and one other and we dont know how good Mascherano is going to be yet
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby hello_red » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:50 pm

i think as  one or two people have said that he is defo a gattuso style player, not very creative but he just wins back the ball and gives it to the nearest player usually alonso or in gattusos case pirlo! hey italy won the world cup with that midfield pairing haha
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Red Macgregor » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:59 pm

Absolutely in full agreement about Momo's woeful performance with possession and passing in the last two home games.
There is no doubt that his disruptive ability and 'engine' is beyond reproach, but some development is required in his confidence and skill on the ball.
I have a feeling that a year on loan to lower league team or to another national league might benefit the development of these skills. It might just be that a period in a league where there is a little more room and time to control a ball and or make a pass might be what is needed complete his education.
One thing is for sure, losing critcal possession on the edge of the oppositions box, leads directly to an instant threat on our goal against sides as gifted as Barcelona ! ref' their goal last week.
Red Macgregor

Postby grayghost » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:44 pm

I think aginst man u he was terrible he gave the ball away constantly when we needed possesion. Has to go down to a manager mistake should of played masherino lot better with the ball.
grayghost

Postby Scottbot » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:17 pm

Will some of you lot listen to yourselves? loan him out to the likes of Burnley or QPR? I've heard it all now :veryangry

How much do you think Momo is worth in today's market? It's a damn site more than the club paid for the lad and i'm sure there would be PLENTY of takers if Rafa was ever stupid enough to take on board some of the sh.i..te that's been written in this thread.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:03 pm

Loaning out sissoko to a lower league club is not the way to go. Besides, I think sissoko is a beast! If he is going to improve we have to keep playing him against QUALITY opposition. Eg, Premiership otherwise he won't improve .
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:28 pm

Red Macgregor wrote:I have a feeling that a year on loan to lower league team or to another national league might benefit the development of these skills. It might just be that a period in a league where there is a little more room and time to control a ball and or make a pass might be what is needed complete his education.

???  ???

:glare:
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion