Martin o'neill - Magician or myth?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ace Ventura » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:28 am

john craig wrote:
stmichael wrote:so i get home last night and hear that martin o'neill has returned to football to manage the poisoned challice that is aston villa and it got me thinking about the guy in general.

opinion seems to be split on this guy. whilst he's been criticised for his somewhat one dimensional style at times, nobody can really argue with his results. he took wycombe into the football league, he won two cups and had 3 top 10 premiership finishes with unfashionable leicester. and whatever you say about scotland being a two horse race every year, the season he went to celtic, they had just finished 20 points behind rangers the previous season and were light years behind. he won the title back in his first season and then went on to win several more trophies and take celtic to the UEFA cup final.

i relate this to liverpool, because i'm sure many of the elder statesman of this forum will remember two years ago at this time, after houllier had been sacked and before anybody really had heard of rafael benitez. many people on here were advocating martin o'neill as being our new manager at the time. others (notably owzat if i remember rightly) didn't think he was up to the job.

now i have to be honest that i'm not a fan of the football that his teams play. as i said before i think he's very one dimensional in that he likes to sign beasts to play at the back and big men upfront. infact if he had arrived that summer i don't think heskey would have been sold as he liked him from his time at leicester. he also advocates playing 3 at the back on a frequent basis which is something that has never led to any success in england down the years.

as far as i see it, the guy's main strength is his motivation and man management skills (sounds like a certain portugese manager doesn't it?). i don't think he's that great tactically but if he can get an extra 10% out of all his players then that will reap success in itself. i know benitez came in and won us the european cup but in all fairness we were domestically dire in that first season. obviously we came on leaps and bounds last season and the style of football improved tenfold. however it's just interesting looking back in hidsight at what could have been. so.....

a) do you rate martin o'neill as a manager? what are his main strengths and weaknesses in your eyes?

b) do you think that the guy is of the standard required to ever manage a top 4 premiership club? or do you think that a club like villa is about his level in that it is a potential sleeping giant that has underachieved and needs picking up?

c) had martin o'neill taken over liverpool as many predicted before rafa came, would you have been happy at the time and where would the club be now in terms of progress?

Interesting post St. Mike

a)  Yes I do rate O'Neill as a good manager.  I think he's better than any of the English born managers around right now, although that's partly because there is a real dearth of managerial talent in England just now.  What you say about his style is true, he has a formula that he stuck to at Leicester and then Celtic which was to build a team full of 6-foot plus players and simply bully teams rather than play good football.  His Leicester team were long ball merchants and despite winning week-in, week-out with Celtic, they were also long merchants, although not to the same extent.  Although he got Celtic to the UEFA cup final, in reality it was more like Larsson got Celtic there.  That was a freak season and I think O'Neill's tactics were normally found out in European competition.  His motivational skills must be superb, which is obviously his strength and he knows exactly the players to buy who will fit into his preferred system.

3 at the back is interesting, he always played it until his last season at Celtic when he scrapped it and went 4-4-2.  I don't think he's a strictly 3-at-the-back-man and I'm not convinced he'll play that way at Villa.

b)  While O'Neill's tactics work for smaller clubs like Leicester in taking them into the top 10 in the league and in winning the SPL with Celtic, I believe the same tactics can also be a hindrance.  His one dimensional style is not good enough to compete at the very top end of football - ie competitions like the Premiership and CL.  I don't think O'Neill is suited to a top 4 prem club.

c)  O'Neill wouldn't have been my first choice back then, but we certainly could have done worse at the time.  He certainly would have steadied the ship and instilled some team morale after morale had all but been destroyed under Houllier.  We'd also have done better in the league than under Benitez in his first season, but in the long term I don't think O'Neill would have been capable of taking us as far as Benitez is.

How are you John ? good to see you mate.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:28 am

BarryBelfast wrote:Just a thought?
If O'Neil did not think there was money coming his way why would he have taken the job?
I really feel a big shake up hitting the Midlands.......soon.
Dont underestimate what Martin can do.

Its one thing to be a good manager at UTD,Us or Chelsea,but being put in charge of a club with limited talent and funds is a whole new ballgame.

The limited talent bit can in my eyes explain the route one football.....Just fu.cking score lads...come on you can do it!!.....Hoof ,the ball gets kicked right up the park and some fecker heads it in!
Leicester get promoted,after promotion they do good in EPL!!

What im tryin to say is,if M/O can do what he did at other clubs with no money and succeed,what can he do at a club in a big league? ???

A Villa def top 10 for me,put your house on it at the bookies!
Maybe even Uefa cup

I will be surprised if Villa make top 10 this season as there isn't much quality in the side, but if they can sort the takeover out quickly and get O'Neil some money for players who knows.
          They were one of my favourites for the drop but I dont think thats likely now, even with no money.
account deleted by request

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:50 am

I think he's a good manager . He's been successful even though the players at his disposal have not been top drawer .After Houllier, I would have been happy for O'Neil to take the helm at LFC and I'm sure he would have done a good job with us, but that was that was then and this is now . With hindsight the powers that be at LFC have to be applauded for signing Benitez . There was indeed a clamour for them to bring in O'Neil and I'm sure that if they really wanted him they could've got him .However they decided to take a gamble (?) and bring in Rafa Benitez who despite having to learn to adjust to English football immediately revived us .

O'Neil is a good manager , Benitez is a great one .   :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby coddy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:54 am

woof woof ! wrote:O'Neil is a good manager , Benitez is a great one .   :)

Hear, Hear
YNWA Drummerphil RIP

Immortalised by his own Legend. God Speed.

End Transmission.....
coddy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:37 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
john craig wrote:
stmichael wrote:so i get home last night and hear that martin o'neill has returned to football to manage the poisoned challice that is aston villa and it got me thinking about the guy in general.

opinion seems to be split on this guy. whilst he's been criticised for his somewhat one dimensional style at times, nobody can really argue with his results. he took wycombe into the football league, he won two cups and had 3 top 10 premiership finishes with unfashionable leicester. and whatever you say about scotland being a two horse race every year, the season he went to celtic, they had just finished 20 points behind rangers the previous season and were light years behind. he won the title back in his first season and then went on to win several more trophies and take celtic to the UEFA cup final.

i relate this to liverpool, because i'm sure many of the elder statesman of this forum will remember two years ago at this time, after houllier had been sacked and before anybody really had heard of rafael benitez. many people on here were advocating martin o'neill as being our new manager at the time. others (notably owzat if i remember rightly) didn't think he was up to the job.

now i have to be honest that i'm not a fan of the football that his teams play. as i said before i think he's very one dimensional in that he likes to sign beasts to play at the back and big men upfront. infact if he had arrived that summer i don't think heskey would have been sold as he liked him from his time at leicester. he also advocates playing 3 at the back on a frequent basis which is something that has never led to any success in england down the years.

as far as i see it, the guy's main strength is his motivation and man management skills (sounds like a certain portugese manager doesn't it?). i don't think he's that great tactically but if he can get an extra 10% out of all his players then that will reap success in itself. i know benitez came in and won us the european cup but in all fairness we were domestically dire in that first season. obviously we came on leaps and bounds last season and the style of football improved tenfold. however it's just interesting looking back in hidsight at what could have been. so.....

a) do you rate martin o'neill as a manager? what are his main strengths and weaknesses in your eyes?

b) do you think that the guy is of the standard required to ever manage a top 4 premiership club? or do you think that a club like villa is about his level in that it is a potential sleeping giant that has underachieved and needs picking up?

c) had martin o'neill taken over liverpool as many predicted before rafa came, would you have been happy at the time and where would the club be now in terms of progress?

Interesting post St. Mike

a)  Yes I do rate O'Neill as a good manager.  I think he's better than any of the English born managers around right now, although that's partly because there is a real dearth of managerial talent in England just now.  What you say about his style is true, he has a formula that he stuck to at Leicester and then Celtic which was to build a team full of 6-foot plus players and simply bully teams rather than play good football.  His Leicester team were long ball merchants and despite winning week-in, week-out with Celtic, they were also long merchants, although not to the same extent.  Although he got Celtic to the UEFA cup final, in reality it was more like Larsson got Celtic there.  That was a freak season and I think O'Neill's tactics were normally found out in European competition.  His motivational skills must be superb, which is obviously his strength and he knows exactly the players to buy who will fit into his preferred system.

3 at the back is interesting, he always played it until his last season at Celtic when he scrapped it and went 4-4-2.  I don't think he's a strictly 3-at-the-back-man and I'm not convinced he'll play that way at Villa.

b)  While O'Neill's tactics work for smaller clubs like Leicester in taking them into the top 10 in the league and in winning the SPL with Celtic, I believe the same tactics can also be a hindrance.  His one dimensional style is not good enough to compete at the very top end of football - ie competitions like the Premiership and CL.  I don't think O'Neill is suited to a top 4 prem club.

c)  O'Neill wouldn't have been my first choice back then, but we certainly could have done worse at the time.  He certainly would have steadied the ship and instilled some team morale after morale had all but been destroyed under Houllier.  We'd also have done better in the league than under Benitez in his first season, but in the long term I don't think O'Neill would have been capable of taking us as far as Benitez is.

How are you John ? good to see you mate.

wtf is that post all about ?
John i was very drunk last night after drinking about 3 quarters of a bottle of vodka, hence the strange post asking how you were  :D

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:19 pm

magician at celtic class manager
Y.N.W.A
Celtic my dads favourite ever club R.I.P dad Sadly missed Y.N.W.A
Kopite-Jud

Postby puroresu » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:58 pm

v v good manager.  The best Man management skills in the business.  He motivates players and has the ability to make players perform beyond their capabalitites.  What he did at Wycombe and Leicester was awesome.  Look at what happened to Leicester when he left.  At Celtic he did a fantastic job.  Won everything domestically and took some great scalps in Europe.  Juventus, Barcelona, Liverpool, Lyon, Stuttgart, Celta Vigo.
puroresu

Postby Billy_5_Times » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:09 am

Done very well at Leicester particually considering the size of the club and won everything in Scotland with Celtic but I wouldn't class him as a magician. Good manager but I wouldn't want him managering us or England.
"I'd kick my own brother if necessary, that's what football is about" Steve McMahon
Billy_5_Times

Postby Um Ba » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:21 am

Hes got a fine booty but he cant be trusted  :Oo:
Um Ba

Postby timmit » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:34 am

I think this has already been said.  Martin O'Neill is a good manager with his best qualities being his passion and motivational abilities. He will ALWAYS do well in the middle end of the scale and bring the best out of average players.

Still unproven at the very top level (Celtic doesnt count sorry) and we will never know just how good he is until he gets a chance. My feeling though is that he would be too one dimensional tactically to win trophies consistently

In terms of us, I never really fancied him to be our manager and certainly dont think Istanbul would have happened if he was in charge
We are the champions, champions of Europe
timmit

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:09 pm

i refer back to the fact that if o'neill had got the lfc job, heskey would certainly not have been sold that summer, not just because he managed him at leicester, but because his style of football always demands a target man upfront (note hartson and sutton at celtic). i remember when we played them in the UEFA cup back in 2003/2004 and especially at anfield, we just couldn't handle hartson at all. he gave hyypia a torrid time that evening.

i also agree that we wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance of winning the CL under him. ok at celtic he beat some impressive teams at parkhead, but if i'm not mistaken he never won a CL away game?
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Alonso14 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:27 pm

stmichael wrote:i also agree that we wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance of winning the CL under him. ok at celtic he beat some impressive teams at parkhead, but if i'm not mistaken he never won a CL away game?

I don't think any manager in thw world would of won the Champions League with us at that time.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:38 pm

I reckon this appointment gets his feet back under the table in the premier league with a view to managing a bigger club in the near future (ie: scumchester). This will give him a few years Premier League experience which will be a requirment when old whiskey nose drops dead, I mean retires.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:57 am

woof woof ! wrote:O'Neil is a good manager , Benitez is a great one .   :)

i think that pretty much sums it up woof. the word "great" is overused these days imo. for all martin o neill's achievements, rafa's accomplishments in his relatively short management career blow him out of the water. you have to consider that rafa got sacked from his first two jobs aswell.

had o'neill come in i still think that we would be established in the top four at this current time but i don't think the majority of fans would be happy with the style of football we played week in week out.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:34 am

Decent thread St.Mick. I think O'neil is an excellent manager and if you trawled through the main thread on 'who should replace Houller' on these boards a couple of years ago you would see that i was one of many on here who wanted O'neil as our next boss. Obviously i'm chuffed to bits it never happened because Rafa is doing a fantastic job at the club. It's difficult to imagine how things would have turned out had O'neil got the job instead. It's highly unlikely Istanbul would have happened but i imagine the club would have progressed under O'neil because his record shows he has made progress at every club he has managed with the exception of his short stint at Norwich.

I've followed O'neils career ever since he got Wycome promoted from the conference and then to the brink of promotion to the 2nd division. A lot of people label O'neils tactics as one dimensional but when you have a group of inferior players (as he did at Leicester and also with Celtic when playing in Europe at times) the only way to consitently get results against the bigger teams is to be very organised at the back with a set playing style. O'neil's teams have always played quite direct but it's harsh to label him a long ball manager. His teams often look to get the ball into the big man (Hartson, Sutton, Heskey) early but then look to play football from there. A lot of teams play that way. If you can find the feet of the striker early and you have someone who can hold the ball up then the rest of the team of the team can join the attack quickly. I supect that O'neil would produce a team capable of playing football that is prettier on the eye given a better group of players to work with and more money to spend. Most people are quick to point out that Mon's strengths are his charisma and ability to get the best out of players but it takes a lot more than that, just look at Kevin Keegan's managerial record. I'd have money on Villa finishing top 6 within 2 seasons.

Ofcourse i still wouldn't swap him (or anyone) for Rafa!
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion