SIMON MIGNOLET- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redshade » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:48 pm

Reminds me a bit of David james at times. Theres a reason why they called him calamity James.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:51 am

yeah I agree, first job for Klopp is to bin off the goal keeper with the most clean sheets blah blah blah

Come on lads, he's made some goofs but his record still shows that he is a great goalie or aren't we actually looking at facts on this one? It's almost like his face doesn't fit so lets get shot of him instead of getting behind him. It's ridiculous how fans turn on someone. so sad.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:28 am

leeroy74 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:51 am wrote:yeah I agree, first job for Klopp is to bin off the goal keeper with the most clean sheets blah blah blah

Come on lads, he's made some goofs but his record still shows that he is a great goalie or aren't we actually looking at facts on this one? It's almost like his face doesn't fit so lets get shot of him instead of getting behind him. It's ridiculous how fans turn on someone. so sad.

Agreed. He isn't our biggest problem...it's not as if the CB protecting him are world class...
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:53 am

only me » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:28 am wrote:
leeroy74 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:51 am wrote:yeah I agree, first job for Klopp is to bin off the goal keeper with the most clean sheets blah blah blah

Agreed. He isn't our biggest problem...it's not as if the CB protecting him are world class...

We look absolutely dreadful at set pieces. We need a keeper with a presence who can actually command his area. The defence in other aspects has actually improved imo and they look better as a unit. Sakho would improve the defence at set pieces but it's been this way for years now and MIng is the constant

We have other problems that need addressed as well - DM and striker being the main two, however being hard to beat is also important and that includes replacing Mignolet
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby johnbarnes » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:44 am

only me » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:28 am wrote:

I also agree having watched the 1st goal last night. Yes he flapped at the ball, but Clyne acted like a little b!tch when he should have been stronger in protecting his goal, and the shot some how squeezed in with all those bodies on the line.
We need a stronger sense of defensive belief - not just a new goalie.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:52 pm

Read today that no other premier league player (in goal or outfield) has committed as many errors that have led to a goal than Mignolet. Apparently he's had that stat for the past THREE SEASONS.

At least he's consistent at something.  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:12 pm

Didn't really like the way our fans reacted every time he had the ball though. He can make a mistake, sure, but we shouldn't get on his back like that.

Maybe we'll boo him next time.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:55 pm

The problem with Mingolet is that he just doesn't give off an air of confidence, even if we go ahead he gives the opposition belief that there's a way back into games.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:46 pm

If you listen to you lot its clear we still haven't replaced Ray Clemence!  Perfect goal keepers don't exist just as perfect CB's RB's don't. They're a piece of the jigsaw who to play well, need a good defence in front of them. Any goalie playing behind a settled back line looks better than he really is.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:21 am

Flapping at corners has never been the definition of a "perfect" goalie Reg.

You can't defend him, he was clearly responsible for the 1st goal and lost us the game.

Also he is prone to too many errors and loses us a lot of points throughout a season.

He should be our number 2, not our number 1.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Reg » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:47 am

I'm not trying to justify mistakes Eds mate, I know they're bl**dy annoying but goalkeepers make them on a fairly regular basis.

Our previous goalkeepers were no better - Calamity James, Hooper, Brucie letting in through his legs, Jerzy's massive loss of confidence. Pepe Reina was a great keeper but by then we had an established back four that gave him confidence etc,..
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:16 pm

Klopptomaniac » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:53 am wrote:
only me » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:28 am wrote:

We look absolutely dreadful at set pieces. We need a keeper with a presence who can actually command his area. The defence in other aspects has actually improved imo and they look better as a unit. Sakho would improve the defence at set pieces but it's been this way for years now and MIng is the constant

We have other problems that need addressed as well - DM and striker being the main two, however being hard to beat is also important and that includes replacing Mignolet

This ^^^
Every set piece is a heart in mouth moment.
A tall fella like Mingolet (who is allowed to use his arms) shouldn't be getting beat to the ball by players who can only use their head.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:23 pm

Reg » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:47 am wrote:I'm not trying to justify mistakes Eds mate, I know they're bl**dy annoying but goalkeepers make them on a fairly regular basis.

Our previous goalkeepers were no better - Calamity James, Hooper, Brucie letting in through his legs, Jerzy's massive loss of confidence. Pepe Reina was a great keeper but by then we had an established back four that gave him confidence etc,..

I agree with this. How far back (bar Reina maybe, who mind you had a great defence in front of him) do we have to go to find the "perfect" goalie?
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:56 pm

I'm with Lee on this ,as soon as he's culpable this thread attracts posters like Black Friday and when he's keeping us in the game visitors are few. Klopp has no intention of recruiting a new goalkeeper and he  told all the media assembled before him (specifically directed it at those who seemed intent on sniffing out a story ) that this would be the case.....and I'm inclined to believe him.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:33 pm

eds » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:21 am wrote:Flapping at corners has never been the definition of a "perfect" goalie Reg.

You can't defend him, he was clearly responsible for the 1st goal and lost us the game.

Also he is prone to too many errors and loses us a lot of points throughout a season.

He should be our number 2, not our number 1.

This!

This best shot stopper in the league is over played, there are a number of better " shot stoppers" than him ( I can think of at least three). In the time he has been here, you could count the truly world class saves on one hand. He stops balls hit at him granted but world class saves not that much. Add to that that he oozes uncertainty, looks very shaky with the ball at his feet, flaps at crosses too many times and generally has too many errors that result in goals. You need a very good keeper to win the league and he is not one. I have been going on about Simon since he came so it is not a sudden flip, we really need a world class keeper with Mignolet as a number 2 if we want to be a dominant force. The fact he has made more errors that resulted in goals than any other goalie over the last three years is shocking really. He is an error waiting to happen!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion