Should harry kewell be dropped? - Give warnock a chance

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:21 pm

this has become a regular area of discussion on this forum for a while now. i have continually given harry kewell the benefit of the doubt and backed him when he wasn't playing well. yes i know he was carrying an ankle injury but if that's the case why didn't he get it sorted? the last 3-4 months of last season he was virtually anonymous and he seems to have started in the same manner. his body language is all wrong to me. his heart doesn't seem to be in playing for liverpool at the moment.

against bolton on sunday i say give warnock a chance to start on the left wing. it's worth a try surely. the kid is scouse through and through and would surely excel playing around players like alonso and gerrard. we need our manager to be strong, and now is the time to drop kewell and give warnock a chance.

would you start kewell or warnock?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Starbridge42 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:25 pm

I'd start Warnock.  Above all else it gives him the opportunity to prove he really is a good player and could become an important part of the club in the future and it also gives kewell a good kick in the bum and shows that Rafa doesn't car about reputations or what kewell's done in the past.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Redtribe » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:30 pm

I too would give him a chance!
Harry is not performing and for that reason alone the youngster should be given a chance!
Sooner or later we have to look past the potential of Kewell and the reality of performances he gives to the 1st team!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:43 pm

Maybe start garcia? :)
Kewell just hasn't been playing right, he's always getting caught by defenders and not getting decent crosses in. I don't know what he has done with the old Harry..
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stan Laurel » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:13 pm

If I were Benitez, give Warnock a start,if doesn't work out then take Luis Garcia from the sub bench to replace Warnock.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kindaconfuzed » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:26 pm

I wouldn't give him a chance as the risk is too great, if he was going to be tested it should have been last night against low risk opposition. While its nice to have local players in we shouldn't let our emotions rule our head.

Kinda
I'll take on board yer problem but not yer anger
If it aint funny it aint right
I used to have an avatar of a girl rubbing her breasts but it was considered sexist - guys can you just imagine
Still waitin for the call for the ELITE MEMBERS DISCUSSION (forms in the post?)
kindaconfuzed
LFC Elite Member

Postby Sean » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:30 pm

Kewell has been a big disappointment.  Hes had plenthy time to show us the form that brought Leeds toa European cup semi final.  The only consolation is we got him for a steal.  I reckon we should attempt to land Duff and cash in on Harry.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:32 pm

Sean wrote:Kewell has been a big disappointment.  Hes had plenthy time to show us the form that brought Leeds toa European cup semi final.  The only consolation is we got him for a steal.  I reckon we should attempt to land Duff and cash in on Harry.

i can definitely see duff leaving chelsea and we should make every attempt to get him before manure get their hands on him. everybody knows he wants to return to the north west. if not duff then get andy reid from forest.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redtribe » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:37 pm

Agreed try and get Duff here
But Andy Reid?

Kewell just hasnt produced the goods for us, i really wish he would but we cant go on hoping he will do well!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby addicted norwegian » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:38 pm

I`ve been a big adimirer of Kewell ever since he came to Anfield. I do agree that he seems a bit out of shape, and with the last games performances in mind, I think that we would be better of replacing him with Warnock. But I can`t help thinking that when our new arrivals is being pitched against Bolton, this would give Harry the boost he needs to get his act together.. At least I hope so.
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:50 pm

One last chance then.....agreed ?????
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby addicted norwegian » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:57 pm

Sean wrote:One last chance then.....agreed ?????

If they can`t help him raise his game then nobody can, so; yes I agree
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:01 pm

it's really bizarre how a player can lose form so drastically. last season harry kewell was superb up until christmas and then became virtually anonymous after that. i was at the united game at old trafford and if i was the manager i would have docked him a weeks wage for his performance that day.

the thing is what can you do as a manager? his confidence is low and he plays badly. so he gets subbed which just dents his confidence even further. :(

maybe we should get a hypnotherapist into the club to make harry think he's a world beater again! :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sean » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:18 pm

Maybe hes to tired to perform on the pitch coz hes devoting all his energies to satisfying his lovely wife (yunno yer one from emmerdale).

Seriously, when a player loses form through losing pace or simply confidence, it's up to the manager to come up with the solution.  For example, Ray Kennedy made his name as a teenage centre forward for Arsenal.  Liverpool bought him (Shankley's last signing ???) but he lost his way, form and confidence plummetted.  However, Bob Paisley assessed the situation, played him as a left sided midfielder and Kennedy went on to become a Liverpool legend, winning 3 european cup medals in that situation.

Maybe Kewell's career is at a similar crossroads and needs direction from the manager.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:20 pm

We all remember Kewell for leeds right? He was absolutly fantastic and although his performances last season kept getting more and more average, I continued to say give him a chance. But now my patience is wearing thin. Maybe a couple of games on the bench is the kick up the backside that he needs to try and recapture some form? This was suggested about Owen a number of times but mr Houllier was too stuborn to try it.
The question is: Warnock or Garcia? It's been a while since Liverpool produced a legendary player from it's acadamies (and we all know who the last one was! Hail, hail...) and Warnock looks to be the candidate this season. But Garcia must be good to warrent £6 million on a release clause as Barca were originally asking others for around £15 million a season ago. I'd like to see both of them and make it a duel! The best left winger wins!
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion