Mid Season Review

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:19 pm

When Hodgson was our manager I supported him. Not because he was good, or the right man for the job, but because he was the manager of LFC. I was glad when he went because he was dragging us down with his ineptitude and clueless-ness. I fully supported Rafa until he fu'cked up the 2007 Champions league final with his terrible team selection. That match was easier to win than the 2005 game but Rafa's ego and stubbornness lost us a sixth CL trophy. I was glad he went in the end because he had lost the plot and couldnt take us any further.
I dont feel that Rodgers has come to that point yet because alongside bad decisions, he has had some unbelievably bad luck. There are plenty of things to moan about, but there are many things to be positive about too. When the balance is purely on the negative then we may have to think of getting a new manager with all the problems that brings. But until then, we have to support the current manager and the team and stop getting on their backs/
History has shown us that this NEVER works
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby Kash_Mountain » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:15 pm

kazza » Dec 24th, '14, 18:40 wrote:To give Rodgers an F (or a Z as one poster put it) is probably as rediculous as giving him an A for the first half. To give him an F would be if we had not won a match or scored a goal which we clearly have so to me that is an over-reaction to a bad run. To give him a C is a little generous, it would more than likely be a D (which is a failing grade but can be improved apon). I am prepared to give him the benefit of this full season to turn things around. He has limitations but alot more goes on behind the scene that we don't know about and it is probably alot easier to critisize someone doing the job than to actually do the job. To hear some on here you would think it was easy. I respect that he likes attacking football and that is how he wants to play, that is full of all kinds of dangers and attacking football has never won the prem before. I would as a fan of football like to see it, and I do think he will find something that works.

Losing Suarez  was a big blow and add to that Sturridge I'm not surprised we have struggled. Losing a big player like Suarez is never going to be seamless unless you had a team of superstars, I dont blame him for that.

In the last three matches we HAVE improved. We dominated all three matches even though we lost easily to the scum, we beat a Championship side and drew with Arsenal (just). In golfing terms (for you Stu) we are now tapping it in for bogey rather than a long put and you know pars and birdies are on the horizon. In the last three seasons we have improved in the second half and I don't see why we should not this year.

Yes, that was me that gave him a Z-, and I stand by that.

Look, in BR’s 1st season, LFC were woeful.. The Club only picked up about 3 to 5 more points in the 2nd half of the season than the 1st.

Last Season, 1st half, he tries to impress his philosophy style and totally failed, then the 2nd part of the season, he decided to change things as a result of his conversation with Bielsa. BR was inspired.

This season, again he tries to impress his philosophy style, and again, he has totally failed, except this time, he’s tried it for a much longer period of time, when it was all too apparent months ago, in fact from his 1st season that his philosophy style would not work.  So, now he changes it very slightly by bringing Lucas back in. Why didn’t who do this before when he was needed, SG in that role is totally woeful and he needs babysitting. Lucas, as I’m sure most know, isn’t the fastest player, but he is imo the reason LFC’s form has been slightly better.  Off course, there is no real improvement because LFC haven’t won their last 3 or so games, but the team is better for having Lucas in it, then without. Besides, there is no one else at the Club that can do that job. However,  you know that the moment BR see’s fit, he’ll revert back to his philosophy style that doesn’t work.  Add to that the players he has brought in that don’t even suit the style. He blames everyone and everything when things aren’t working (all of it is BR’s making), but takes all the plaudits for every good thing that might have occurred.  Recently, when RS had one good game, which came after a bad spell for him, (he blamed everyone but himself when RS was not in good form), BR showed his character because during an interview, it was about how 'I had a word with Raheem'  instead, he could have just said, he’s been working hard, and working on a few things in training, so well done to Raheem you did well. He should have given credit to RS, but didn’t.

Yes, 2nd half of last season LFC did well, he took advice and guidance from Bielsa to change things, yet this season, because he thought that he knew it all, such is his arrogance and stubbornness, reverts to his philosophy style again. Glad it worked out well then the first part of the season having spent millions upon millions!!

His love of Spanish (Barcelona) football has not helped. His vision around all that possession is wrong, because there is loads to it than merely keeping ball. Yep, I agree, possession is great, and having more of the ball has it’s bonuses of course. However, its only when all that possession is used correctly and has an end product (an aim if you like), then it’s useful. BR on the other hand just wants to keep the ball. You can tell that BR doesn’t actually have a clear idea about what to do with all that possession, except, well, just keep ball, it’s pointless if there is no end product. He’s not for one minute thinking about making the opposition work by making them constantly move around and tiring them out, or even creating the necessary space for LFC attacks, not one iota. With B, it’s possession, for  possession sake. He thinks that is what made Barcelona successful, but off course that isn’t the case.

Last Summer he buys quantity over quality.  And yes, he is very much part of the Committee and it is consensus based. He would have had to agree for the any player to be signed. He knew, as I’ve stated previously,  last season that Suarez was going to leave and had ample, ample time to bring in a suitable replacement. He did nothing about it,. Yes, Sanchez was on the list, but there were others on that list that he could have gone for if Sanchez didn’t work out, but didn’t and waited for the last minute bargain bucket. That is total bad management on BR’s part. It is mainly because of BR’s spending vast millions on players that LFC didn’t need that the Club find themselves in FFP lowlands. The Owners, want the best for the Club (they have gotten over the shock of how much money it takes to run a club), hence all their investment in Players and the Ground etc. To do this, they had to take out loans. Those loans have to be paid back.

LFC are  in hot water over FFP Rules and regulations. The Club are under investigation  with respect wages (big time) amongst other things. This is enough to have any monies from the group stage of the CL to be  withheld, and we know what happened with regards CL.

*Fans need to know that the Club have such big debts mainly because of BR, spending all that money. If he said that he only wanted 2 0r 3 players and that he wanted to use the Academy players, everyone would have been happy with that, but know, BR and his sweet shop spree……He has spent it all and now there is no money in the pot.

**BR has been offered help numerous times especially on the defensive side of things, yet refuses each time. What does this tell you about BR, to me, he is to arrogant and stubborn to learn from his mistakes.
*LFC are actually in breach of the FFP rules and regulations again, mainly down to BR,
*The Academy players have been shafted big time. Fans were talking of players like Suso, Texeira, Yetsil etc etc, but they are all being shipped out (sold or loaned out) and will not have a chance at LFC, why? all this is all mainly down to BR.
*BR made wholehearted promises to the Owners, 2 of which were that LFC would take the EPL title this season and make good ground in the CL. Well, we all know where the Club are with regards CL. EPL, well, not this season unless a miracle can occur.  The other promises, well he’s not going to be able keep those either,
*He is afraid to drop SG, even though SG needs to be dropped. What that that tell you about the Coach. If he has to be dropped, then so be it.
*When BR said that LFC would come good in the 2nd part of the season, what do the fans think the Owners felt about this after spending all those million!! I don’t accept the thing about gelling (as some keep mentioning), BR, didn’t have to buy all those players. He just needed 2 or 3 and then complemented them by those from the Academy, you know, they would have got chances those talented youngsters, but no, now it’s not going to happen under BR. Why have an Academy in the first place if you don’t make use of the talented assets that are right in from of your eyes?  The players he brought in only have a tad more experience than those at the Academy, so why did he feel that he need to bring all these players is anyone’s guess, but imo, it’s akin to a little boy or girl in a sweetshop,
*Do some fans realise that LFC do not get the money for Suarez in one big fat lump sum? The Club are actually getting this in  instalments over 3 or so years. BR had already started spending this money even before any part of it was paid to the Club,
*He has favourites and keeps playing them when there are better options.
*Some think that BR is pretty good in interviews or Press conferences. He is actually awful, to the extent that he has been told several times by the Owners and others around him to think before he speaks to the press. However, he doesn’t listen and he is in hot water again. Complaints about the pitch (i.e.e groundsman) is just one example. Fans should care what he is saying because for one, he is causing embarrassment to LFC and the Owners. In any other organisation, causing embarrassment to the Club and Owners is a sackable offence.   Others have mentioned the likes of Whisky nose etc and how he was with the media. Who cares about what he did and why.  I care about LFC and it doesn’t matter if LFC were winning, if rubbish is spewed from the Coaches mouth, then he needs to be told.  He has made gaffs upon gaffs too numerous to mention.

*Do fans remember the move for Salah, that could have happened but didn’t, one because of the rubbish offer the Club made to Basel (nothing to do with the Owners, and LFC do not have a ‘moneyball’ scheme in place. Moneyball just wouldn't work in football). Secondly, it was made 100 fold worse because BR came out and said something along the lines of “ LFC were not sure if Salah was good enough for the EPL and that is why LFC would not offer any more money on such a high-risk purchase”.  Basel and Salah took great offence at this (I don’t blame them either), and we know where he ended up. He could have actually done a good job for LFC!  So, is BR saying that all the players he has brought since those words have not been high risk!! Pathetic.

*Now, because LFC have such big debts, any new player to arrive in January will depend on player sales first. I believe LFC are looking to get a pre-contract agreement with a keeper for next summer, heard they were looking at John Ruddy!. It’s unlikely that anyone will come in Jan. FFP rules and regulations have been played with far too long which is not a good idea.

Imo, BR has proved several things,
* that he is not good at buying players,
* he just cannot get the best out of any of the players for longer than a month or so,
* he is no good at picking a side that want to play together. This is plain to see because right now, he just cannot put together a side that wants to play for each other,
One of the bigger issued is that he hasn’t learn't anything from last season because he reverted back to his philosophy style again.  In football, there are several important factors, one being that to maintain long term success, one has to be able to understand and analyse the success and pick the areas that provided that success, so that one can continue and grow with it.  This all goes hand in hand with understanding and identifying the weak links and  areas so that one can make them stronger. BR, in all his wisdom decided that those weak links and areas from last season’s game plan were the teams strongest points. WTF. It is plain to see that this is one of the reasons he is failing.

The Owners are going to completely restructure things at the Club top down, that is why they are talking to various 3rd party representatives. They are really not happy with BR. They are looking to replace him and will take their time to get the right person in. Probably Summer now, unless things get even worse. They do not want a Caretaker. However, a Caretaker may be the only solution until the summer if things turn worse. They want a DOF and a Head Coach, all changes will (or should) be completed by next summer.
Last edited by Kash_Mountain on Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby The_Rock » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:42 pm

Good point kash..

To add to your points....Rodgers has a very steep learning curve to climb if he wants to be a manager our club needs. At this moment, he is performing like a coach (an attacking job to be precise).

I would like to ask the other members of this forum, do you want to wait 3,5 or 7 years for Rodgers to learn the ropes ? All evidence so far has pointed to Rodgers being a f**king slow learner, show favouritism, finds it hard to handle a big squad of players, prefer to buy british players (which will bring down us to aston villa's level)....

And the worst thing ? He surrounds himself with less competent people than himself. Pascoe, Marsh, the GK coach.....

I read a few comments here about similarities between whisky-nose and Rodgers...... Whiskey-nose to his credit surrounded himself with extremely competent coaches and assistant managers.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:03 pm

Well we're officially half way through the season and we're 5 points away from 4th. That's not great but it's not THAT bad either. Also, on the 1st of Jan we're playing Leicester while Spurs are playing Chelsea and Soton and the ***** are playing each other at the St. Mary. Like I said, we haven't been good so far but the season is definitely savable, 4th place is there for the taking.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:43 am

damjan193 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:03 pm wrote:Well we're officially half way through the season and we're 5 points away from 4th. That's not great but it's not THAT bad either. Also, on the 1st of Jan we're playing Leicester while Spurs are playing Chelsea and Soton and the ***** are playing each other at the St. Mary. Like I said, we haven't been good so far but the season is definitely savable, 4th place is there for the taking.

Spot on mate, not only that United have got a tough run in as well, they have to play us, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Everton in their last 10 games.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:22 am

I think united are favourites to get 3rd. We are fighting for fourth with Arsenal, Spurs and Southampton. I don't think West Ham can sustain the current form they are in.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Happy Daddy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:12 pm

Obviously reviewing our season so far you can sum it up as *****.

But a lot of that is considering how well we done last year and the fact that expectations this season were high - and why shouldn't they be after last season? However the drop off in play/results means it has been a real body blow and puts a real negative feel on current season performance.

The problem all season, up until very recently has been the lack of forward runs and creation of chances - both of these are linked.

Balotelli and Lambert are not Sturridge or Suarez and this has severely hampered then creativity of the team. They both like balls to feet or balls in the air and play facing our goal. Sturridge and Suarez were always forward facing and moving everywhere....... This is massively missed and impacts on the performance of the whole team.

Having Sterling up top recently has dramatically improved our creativity and although it is painstakingly obvious he is not a striker, he has changed the dynamic of the team. If we would of had Sturridge fit we would be top 4 in my eyes...... However it was poor transfers to not buy a similar pacy/pressure striker like Remy!!!!

Given how poor we have performed I am really confident that we can turn it round in the 2nd half given the fact we are only 5 points off top 4. I would not be saying that 4 weeks ago.
Paddock Perfectionist
Happy Daddy
LFC newBie

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion