Mid Season Review

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Boocity » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:59 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:02 am wrote:I don't think any fan can refute the fact how obstinate Rodgers was regarding the failure of our midfield when placing Gerrard in front of our back four or the inexcusable
amount of time we as supporters had to endure his inability to accept that Lucas was if only 'temporary' an immediate solution to our paucity in midfield.

I also firmly believe he frittered away an inordinate amount of time restricting our play by placing Balotelli and then Lambert in the role of lone striker ,whilst seemingly content with watching us slip down the table.....Add to that our first half complete and utter capitulation in a Champions League game we only had to win to progress !

It seems to me our progress hasn't been inspired by some divine intervention but in a manager who has been  painstakingly slow in coming to terms and rectifying his
mistakes finally arriving at somewhere between common sense and a deflated ego ...I mean the same personnel were available for the Basel game, surely the manager
could have formulated a side comparative to the one we see now ,and if the same intensity and passion had been applied we would be now awaiting Porto ?

These are all pertinent questions that however hard we try to put them to the back of our respective minds they still manage to surface when he makes decisions like
dropping Mignolet for possibly the worst (but expertly coiffeured ) stand in keeper in the Premiership  ???

I like the football we're currently playing and when Sturridge finally returns it will see a marked improvement in our potency in front of goal ,but for long periods of this
completely forgettable season the team has been absolutely hapless ,and watching the team and listening to Rodgers excuse his ineptitude has left a bitter taste in the
mouth.

When all is said and done we lost Sturridge through injury and replacing the Uruguayan was always going to be an unenviable task ,but this is why managers are paid
such salaries to cushion such blows and apply the tactics not only to alter our style of play but to change our formation to be adaptable to the rigours of this league.
It simply beggars belief how he changed practically fuck all and persisted with players so clearly not comfortable with the positions he designated them with.

Simply not good enough for a manager who professes in practically every sound bite he makes how he has the best interests of the club and it fans as priority.
The fans have been clamouring for Markovic to be thrown into the team ,the same applies for Can who still manages to be overlooked after a playing his
best game in a red shirt against Chelsea ....The truth is sometimes not kind ,but we've been screaming for the high intensity pressing football we now see
Rodgers apparently inspiring and then we're treated to ridiculous statements such as after the Bournemouth game such as those expressed below.

“The other night at Bournemouth, in an attempt to find a solution, we were playing 3-4-3. A British coach playing 3-4-3? He must have fallen on to that system by luck,” . “It might not have been that I was awake until the early hours of the morning thinking how we might do it?

“A foreign coach would be a tactical genius – playing Markovic wide, using Raheem Sterling as a free number nine, moving with penetration, playing with a box midfield and a back three – I must have just dreamt that and thrown it out there"

Still has a great deal of learning still to do in my opinion ,and a modicum of humility now that we finally look like rescuing the dwindling embers from a once dying
flame wouldn't go amiss ,I'd say our revitalisation is born more of the manager realising he is here first and foremost to put the fans first ,and to have his teams play
in the style keeping with a Liverpool manager rather than just attempting to sound like one.

Excellent post RBG, absolutely hits the nail on the head. He grabs the glory when things go right and try's to pass the buck when things go wrong. Yes we are playing some good football going forward but our defence is still a mess and I am struggling big time with the way he surrendered our CL campaign.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:14 am

eds » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:10 pm wrote:Barcelona wanted Suarez and we wanted Sanchez as a replacement.

We should have planted our foot down at that pivotal moment and ensured that if Sanchez didn't come to us we wouldn't sell Suarez to them.

Instead we buckled and got shafted with the Suarez deal, getting nowhere near what he was worth and Sanchez joined a direct rival days later  :no

The Remy deal was the icing on the turd cake and Borini "refusing" to leave was the very cherry on top.

We don't need an "investigation" into this, Ayre and his incompetent army of monkeys need to be put in front a firing squad.  :veryangry

You want a player who doesn't want to play for us or keep a player who no longer wanted to play for us? I'm sorry but you should only buy players who is willing to play for us and put in a shift.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:54 am

My review

1/10 for Domestic review
1/10 for European review

British Coach Rodgers ................holy cow. Can't believe he even wants to go there.

Might itself knight him now. The british coach who dared to use 3-4-3....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:26 am

This season has been an utter disgrace from the begining, the performances have been shocking, poor signings, dumped out of Europe with a pitiful points tally, barely scraping mid table, the defence is still a shambles and we can barely score a goal aswell. Rodgers is in the fight of his life to save his job make no doubt about it, when your results are worse than Roy Hodgsons then you have a lot to answer for.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:42 pm

maguskwt » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:14 am wrote:
eds » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:10 pm wrote:Barcelona wanted Suarez and we wanted Sanchez as a replacement.

We should have planted our foot down at that pivotal moment and ensured that if Sanchez didn't come to us we wouldn't sell Suarez to them.

Instead we buckled and got shafted with the Suarez deal, getting nowhere near what he was worth and Sanchez joined a direct rival days later  :no

The Remy deal was the icing on the turd cake and Borini "refusing" to leave was the very cherry on top.

We don't need an "investigation" into this, Ayre and his incompetent army of monkeys need to be put in front a firing squad.  :veryangry

You want a player who doesn't want to play for us or keep a player who no longer wanted to play for us? I'm sorry but you should only buy players who is willing to play for us and put in a shift.

Remember at the start of last season when he was training alone because he spat his dummy out and wanted to go to Arsenal ?

The lad just wants to play football , do well and win.  He wouldnt have gave anything less than 110% every game.

I agree he shouldnt have been sold unless a replacement was 1st signed.
Kopite-Jud

Postby maguskwt » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:18 pm

Kopite-Jud » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:42 am wrote:

Remember at the start of last season when he was training alone because he spat his dummy out and wanted to go to Arsenal ?

The lad just wants to play football , do well and win.  He wouldnt have gave anything less than 110% every game.

I agree he shouldnt have been sold unless a replacement was 1st signed.

Yes and that's because Gerrard told him Arsenal was not a step up and to give the club one more season to qualify for the CL and one of the top clubs like real or barca or bayern would come for him. Suarez job was done with us and barca came in for him. Under such circumstances, the club could no longer keep him and he would still be giving 100%. I bet if he was forced to stay another season, there will be quite a severe backlash by him. He will be saying the club has broken promises, he may refuse to play like mash, and when he did he probably would've bitten all 11 of the opponents.

Selling Suarez for 80 million is not the mistake. Spending money on Lovren and balotelli is.
Last edited by maguskwt on Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:22 pm

btw, I would give BR a C- for the first half of the season...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:36 pm

Bottom line is though, everyone at the Club knew Suarez was going a a year ago. BR  and the Committee had AMPLE time to bring in a replacement, Sanchez was just one name on the cards, there were others. So the fact that Sanchez didn't work out is not the end of the world, there were other names. No Club should let their prize asset leave without first bringing in a replacement. Balotelli is a good player, but just not suited to the style of play BR wants to impress on the team. In fact none of the players are suited to  BR's 'philosophy' style.  And note, BR may have changed things slightly in the last two games, but as soon as he see's fit, he will revert back to his 'philosophy' style.

I'd give him a Z- for the first part of the season.  The Owners were outraged because BR said along the lines "LFC would come good in the 2nd half of the season" this after spending their millions. What happened to the first part of the season was their question,

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby maguskwt » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:47 pm

A team that has gone such a transformation cannot gel immediately. Happens to all sports clubs, be it football or basketball. If BR cannot turn it around in the 2nd half of the season, then fair enough. What happens to the millions will be obvious starting from next season. It will however go down the drain if the owners lose faith now and is trigger happy and fire the manager. Because the new players may not be in the new manager's plans.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:05 pm

Had we kept him he would have had no one to blame but himself after his summer antics.

I honestly think if we said no, he would have been resigned to the fact he is staying (due to his own doing)

What im saying is, Arsenal are the eventual winners here.  We sell our prized asset and his direct replacement goes to Arsenal.

We forced Barcelona's hand into selling Sanchez so they could fund Suarez.

Anyway whats happened has happened!

Back to topic

We're 9 points off Westham in 4th. This season has been such a disaster and it sould have been oh so brilliant.  :glare:
Kopite-Jud

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:41 pm

Once Suarez signed that improved contract with the cast iron buy out clause then we were powerless to stop him going. Let's not forget here as well that we are talking about a player who threw a right strop because we wouldn't sell him to one of our direct rivals, that's how much of a f**k he gave about this club.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:37 pm

Dead right they knew he was off once he signed that new deal last November which makes the fact that we never lined up a decent replacement worse given the time we had to scout one.
That numpty of a committee assumed Barca would be desperate to include Sanchez in any deal so as not to fork out the full fee. When they came to the table to negotiate the Suarez deal they had said Sanchez wouldn't be a part of it and we would have to approach his agent if we wanted him. We did that but he was already gone to Arsenal as Wenger didn't dally like we do and sounded his agent out while in brazil.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:16 pm

maguskwt » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:47 pm wrote:A team that has gone such a transformation cannot gel immediately. Happens to all sports clubs, be it football or basketball. If BR cannot turn it around in the 2nd half of the season, then fair enough. What happens to the millions will be obvious starting from next season. It will however go down the drain if the owners lose faith now and is trigger happy and fire the manager. Because the new players may not be in the new manager's plans.

What transformation, we lost one player albeit our best player and didn't see fit to replace him. We are in a mess because we did exactly what BR said we wouldn't do, a Spurs
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:58 pm

Boocity » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:16 pm wrote:
maguskwt » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:47 pm wrote:A team that has gone such a transformation cannot gel immediately. Happens to all sports clubs, be it football or basketball. If BR cannot turn it around in the 2nd half of the season, then fair enough. What happens to the millions will be obvious starting from next season. It will however go down the drain if the owners lose faith now and is trigger happy and fire the manager. Because the new players may not be in the new manager's plans.

What transformation, we lost one player albeit our best player and didn't see fit to replace him. We are in a mess because we did exactly what BR said we wouldn't do, a Spurs

Oh so now we've done a spurs? You've written off all our signings after just 4 months even though Lallana and Markovic are starting to look like perfect fits for our 3-4-2-1 system and Can has looked the best midfielder at the club whenever he has got on the park?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:07 pm

Spaghetti noddles, how old are you lad?

Do you honestly think that all players are Liverpool fans and want to come here because they want to play for the shirt  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

It is our executives jobs to MAKE players we target WANT to play for us and to bring them in using every trick in the book.

Ayre and his minions failed miserably in the $65m Suarez deal and to justify this by players not wanting to play for us when they should have done everything to sound out Sanchez LAST SEASON when they knew Suarez would be leaving is simply inexcusable.
Last edited by eds on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion