Sami - Not finished yet

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:27 am

After watching the game last night I have to change my opinion about Sami Hyppia. For a while now i have been saying he is past his best and maybe we should let him go at the end of the season.
But i think he was awesome in last nights game. Always was calm and cool. In the second half i remember him getting fouled near Juve's box after bringing the ball from outside his own box. He was trying to play all the time.
An of course the goal. A striker would have been proud of it.
Maybe he just needed a rest. Heres hoping he can keep it up for the rest of the season and beyond
Some people think football is a matter of life or death but it's far more important than that. - Bill Shankley

A Well Balanced Soccer Player Has A Beer In Each Hand!
LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Nando » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:37 am

he plays 1 game and all of a sudden you dont want him to go? what happens when he plays a bad game? im sure you will be on his case again, you aint a fan, a true fan would stick by the team and its players through thick and thin, i bet you were 1 of the fans calling for the vikings head after the fulham game in jan when everyone seemed to be on his case, yes he is past his best but he can still produce great performances and for the loyalty he has shown us over the past 5 years theres no way in hell id wanna sell him, just keep your reservations for now cos they are bound to change while the rest of us true fans just stick by our players  :angry:
Nando
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:42 am

Nando wrote:he plays 1 game and all of a sudden you dont want him to go? what happens when he plays a bad game? im sure you will be on his case again, you aint a fan, a true fan would stick by the team and its players through thick and thin, i bet you were 1 of the fans calling for the vikings head after the fulham game in jan when everyone seemed to be on his case, yes he is past his best but he can still produce great performances and for the loyalty he has shown us over the past 5 years theres no way in hell id wanna sell him, just keep your reservations for now cos they are bound to change while the rest of us true fans just stick by our players  :angry:

Chill Nando, see the thread I bumped of Banana's and he was not the only one writing Sami off.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:46 am

I never slated Sami. In any of my posts i said that he had been a great player for the club but that i thought he was past his best. I am now admiiting i was wrong.

I also take exception to being told i'm not a true fan. I have supported this club for the last 20 years. Never waivered never change my loyalties. I'm not old enought to remeber all the great teams and all the trophies they won but i still follow LFC and always will
Some people think football is a matter of life or death but it's far more important than that. - Bill Shankley

LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Nando » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:57 am

fair enough you been a fan for 20 years so you have seen many faces come and go and should recognise by now players are going to perform as well as bad, how bad was steven gerrard during the 1st part of the 03/04 season, houllier went as far as to dropping him, its just part and parcel of the game, players arent always going to perform, i have been a fan for the last 10 years and i know so if you have been a fan for 20 years then you surely must know this, you have to support the team and players alike
Nando
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm

I accept your point and already admitted i was wrong about Sami. But as a fan my first loyalty is to the club not the players. Of course i support the players aswell but the club has to come first, We shouldn't blindly follow players just because they play for LFC. If any player is not playing up to standard and this is hurting the team we should be entitled to say so. I'm not talking about a bad game here and there but someone who is just not quiet up to it. Should we blindly support a player that is weakining the team

LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Nando » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:22 pm

no but someone who has shown real loyalty to the club should be supported, the likes of carragher, hamaan and hyypia, and u criticised hyypia, had it been kewell then its a different story as we have bought him, he is 1 of the club top earners and hasnt produced anything, hyypia was part of the premierships best centre back partnership for 2 straight seasons, im saying we should support the teams loyal players, if i was a newcastle fan i wouldnt give a damn about bowyer or someone like bellamy as they havent been loyal players,
Nando
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:29 pm

I get you point and agree with it. You can't compare the likes of Sammi to Kewell.

LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Nando » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:33 pm

LiverpoolFan00 wrote:I get you point and agree with it. You can't compare the likes of Sammi to Kewell.

exactly, had you said someone like kewell then there would have been no outburst, we need more characters like hyypia, and i feel we do have a new 1 in alonso, this is the 1st time in a long while i can ever remember being so excited for the next season, thats what houllier did to me   :glare:
Nando
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:40 pm

I think things are looking good for next season. We showed with the first half against Juve what we can do. With everyone fit and maybe a few more players we should be as good as anyone next seaon. Lets just hope we get our consistency up. I have no doubt rafa will do it

LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso_Rulz » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:49 pm

just one more thing to add... for rafa's first season, we beat the mighty juventus.. i just cant imagine, for the next 3 yrs, who will we beat...
liverpool can beat everyone in football
Alonso_Rulz

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:51 pm

Personally I couldn't belive it when Pellegrino was picked by Rafa ahead of Sammi for our last match (a choice many fans agreed with ) .Thank god Pellegrino was not available for the Juve game , Sammi was outstanding ,perhaps Rafa had just been saving him .
We all know Sammi's not one of the quickest but he has a cool head and reads the game well ,perhaps he is coming towards the end of his career in top flight footy (he'll be 32 in oct ) but I think he's still got at least another great season inside him .  :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:54 pm

i have to admit that i was a little concerned about sami's lack of matches recently going into last nights game but i was proved wrong. sami was superb (mind you playing alongside carra in his form must be a bonus).

i hear that after his superb strike last night he is now our new striking coach. maybe he could teach milan how to finish. :D
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby the return of HAS » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:49 pm

Hyypia is still a good player, and most people have said that they would like him stay at the club, me included.

But it is time for our central defence to evolve, we need at least 1 defender with genuine recovery pace.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:56 am

Some of the best defenders around are around Hyypia's age or even older e.g. Stam, Maldini etc. you get the picture.
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion