Sami - Not finished yet

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:27 am

True and its also true that our defence will have to evolve Rafa
should be looking for someone nowas a long term replacement cause
it will be hard to replace someone of Sami Hyypias quality all i would
ask is that they had more pace and with all Samis attributes they would be world class.But who ?
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:28 am

True and its also true that our defence will have to evolve Rafa
should be looking for someone nowas a long term replacement cause
it will be hard to replace someone of Sami Hyypias quality all i would
ask is that they had more pace and with all Samis attributes they would be world class.But who ?
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:29 am

oops i sent that twice silly me:p
66-1112520797

Postby A.B. » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:06 am

Some of the best defenders around are around Hyypia's age or even older e.g. Stam, Maldini etc. you get the picture.

Yes the Italian back four has a combined age of close to 300 however all of them are far better players than Hyypia and its not the age it's the fact that his lack of pace which he's always had has been exposed by the opposition quite a few times in the Premiership that and the fact that he made poor decisions in the box which ended up to us conceding a goal. Such as the second goal Blackburn  scored against us in October, possibly the words decision made by a defender.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:47 am

So what are u saying that Hyypias no good
66-1112520797

Postby JC_81 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:17 pm

Hyypia was superb against juventus but the bottom line is that he has been poor this season.  Pellegrino deserved to get a run in the team and he looked more solid than Hyypia did prior to the juve game.

Maybe the rest did Hyypia good and I believe we should revert to using Pellegrino against Man City and rest Hyypia again for the return game with juve.  It is a squad game these days after all.

As for Hyypia staying beyond this season, I'm all for that, but only as cover for Carragher and a pacy centre back who must be a priority signing this summer.

Hyypia is our best signing in recent years but won't suit the pressing style of play we are moving towards under Rafa.  He suited defending the 18 yard box under Houllier's defensive set-up but he gets caught for pace pushing up in our new style.  Good luck to him whatever he ends up doing
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:18 pm

A.B. wrote:the Italian back four has a combined age of close to 300

now that's experience :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:59 am

woof woof ! wrote:Personally I couldn't belive it when Pellegrino was picked by Rafa ahead of Sammi for our last match (a choice many fans agreed with ) .Thank god Pellegrino was not available for the Juve game , Sammi was outstanding ,perhaps Rafa had just been saving him .
We all know Sammi's not one of the quickest but he has a cool head and reads the game well ,perhaps he is coming towards the end of his career in top flight footy (he'll be 32 in oct ) but I think he's still got at least another great season inside him .  :)

And after last nights 2nd leg display I'm more convinced than ever .

ROCK ON SAMMI !   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:46 pm

Well said son :D
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:48 pm

I've criticised Sammi this season but that was his best display for years. Absolute quality.

If he can do that week in, week out, we don't really need a new centre half.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:05 pm

The problem is, he's had 6 or 7 bad games the last two years. And we all know thats unacceptable and makes you a rubbish player.

His mistakes and lack of pace might have cost us 10 goals over the last two years. Bearing in mind if on average if you have a defence who makes 10 mistakes a season per player you conceed 50 goals. Sami probably makes 5, Riise 7 Carragher 6, Finnan 6 and Dudek about 10. As a rough sort of calculation. It works out at something like that. I'm not saying thats anything exact to go by, but its a rough guide.

It's simply rediculous and pathetic and plain ****** wrong to suggest he's been poor the last couple of years. He's excellent all the time with the exception of THE ODD GAME. Any regular match goer will tell you that.

He never misses a header, he is superb at defending and attacking from corners and set peices, he reads the game well and bullies opposition strikers all over the pitch. The only time he doesn't look good is when he has to play left back and centre half at once because he's playing next to Djimi Traore.

Traore wonders all over the show and leaves massive holes in the defense down that side which is why Sami often needs to go over there to cover then gets roasted for pace.

I'm sick of hearing all this can't defend high up the pitch ******. When do Liverpool EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER conceed a goal from a through ball when we do push high up the pitch? We don't. We conceed goals from wide areas (mostly Traore's side) when Sami has to go out and cover.

The fact is if the defence is lined up like this

Traore Hyypia Carragher Finnan

Hyypia doesn't need pace unless is goes in behind and i don't think i can ever remember a ball over the top thats caught Sami out and i can't even remember a through ball  from a deep position off the top of my head.

the problem starts when its like this...

Traore

<---- Hyypia Carragher Finnan.

And Traore strolls back or doesn't even cover Sami in the centre.
115-1073096938

Postby banana » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:19 pm

stu_the_red wrote:The problem is, he's had 6 or 7 bad games the last two years. And we all know thats unacceptable and makes you a rubbish player.

His mistakes and lack of pace might have cost us 10 goals over the last two years. Bearing in mind if on average if you have a defence who makes 10 mistakes a season per player you conceed 50 goals. Sami probably makes 5, Riise 7 Carragher 6, Finnan 6 and Dudek about 10. As a rough sort of calculation. It works out at something like that. I'm not saying thats anything exact to go by, but its a rough guide.

It's simply rediculous and pathetic and plain ****** wrong to suggest he's been poor the last couple of years. He's excellent all the time with the exception of THE ODD GAME. Any regular match goer will tell you that.

He never misses a header, he is superb at defending and attacking from corners and set peices, he reads the game well and bullies opposition strikers all over the pitch. The only time he doesn't look good is when he has to play left back and centre half at once because he's playing next to Djimi Traore.

Traore wonders all over the show and leaves massive holes in the defense down that side which is why Sami often needs to go over there to cover then gets roasted for pace.

I'm sick of hearing all this can't defend high up the pitch ******. When do Liverpool EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER conceed a goal from a through ball when we do push high up the pitch? We don't. We conceed goals from wide areas (mostly Traore's side) when Sami has to go out and cover.

The fact is if the defence is lined up like this

Traore Hyypia Carragher Finnan

Hyypia doesn't need pace unless is goes in behind and i don't think i can ever remember a ball over the top thats caught Sami out and i can't even remember a through ball  from a deep position off the top of my head.

the problem starts when its like this...

Traore

<---- Hyypia Carragher Finnan.

And Traore strolls back or doesn't even cover Sami in the centre.

My god you are a silli little dog.

We all knew Hyppia was superb at defending deep. Just lying on the 15 yard line clearing crosses and using his strenght and tackling skills. That is Hyppia.

But remember: we do not play Juventus at stade del Alpi every week. Our team will play differently away to i.e. Portsmouth and not to mention in our home games.

If we are going to play Houllier style deep defending Hyypia is it. If we want to push forward and break down teams we need something else. Pure and simple.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:47 pm

:D

Fool.

Keep digging its amusing.
115-1073096938

Postby bigmick » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:55 pm

Unfortunately, things are never quite that simple. Sami has without question lost a yard or two over the last couple of seasons and the test is whether he can redefine his game to cope with it. I would venture that he could still give Pelligrino a five yard start and win but Pella has been around the block more than a few times, has been funerial for quite a long time and has developed his game by utilizing his vast experience to still be a good defender. Also, Sami suffers for the fact that Carra is no Linford Christie either. If he was playing alongside someone a little more jet-healed then his lack of pace wouldn't be such a worry. The answer in the medium-term is that we either sell Carra and get a pacier partner for sami (no chance), defend deeper (a possibility but a retrograde step), keep Sami as a rotating one of four centre backs and aquire a pacier alternative so Hyppia can be used for games such as last night (almost certainly what will happen).
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:13 pm

A defence should NEVER be rotated unless there is injury and suspension. Even then you don't ****** around with players positions.

Warnock Hyypia Carragher Finnan

Looks good to me. If we do replace Sami, the player we replace him with must be of more quality. Pace isn't an issue. Class is.

Warnock can become another Carragher, he has that fire and aggression there in his game to get to that level. Those two might never be international class, but there love for the club and commitment can more than make up for it.
115-1073096938

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion