SADIO MANÉ - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby C-R » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:00 pm

It is official..........

He has signed a 5 year deal and will wear the number 19 shirt :bowdown

Liverpool Football Club can confirm they have completed the signing of Sadio Mane from Southampton.

The 24-year-old has put pen to paper on a long-term contract after passing a medical and agreeing personal terms at Melwood. He will officially become registered as a Reds player on July 1.

Immediately after inking the deal, Mane told Liverpoolfc.com: “Today is a big day and I am very happy to sign for one of the biggest clubs in Europe.

“It’s a club that has won a lot of trophies and has a big history.

“Now I am looking forward to meeting all the staff and my teammates and starting the season.”

Mane moves to Anfield after two seasons in the Premier League with Southampton in which he netted 25 goals in 75 appearances in all competitions.

The forward also has 36 caps for Senegal and has scored 10 goals for his country.

Prior to the move to St Mary’s in 2014, he represented Metz and Red Bull Salzburg.

Mane follows Loris Karius and Joel Matip, as well as Marko Grujic, in joining Jürgen Klopp’s squad ahead of the new season.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-t ... sadio-mane
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:23 pm

Liverpool have parted with £34m up front, with £2m more to be paid in performance-related add-ons for Mané

Source : Sky Sports.... http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... for-16334m

However Liverpool insist the fee is £30m despite suggestions it would rise to nearer £38m

Source: Daily Express... http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... ossip-News

Make your own minds up  :grinning:
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:38 pm

who cares! £38m or £30m big hairy deal!

welcome to Liverpool Football Club.

do us proud!
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:16 pm

The player doesn't set the fee so that £38m figure or whatever it is isn't down to him.
Welcome to LFC Sadio!
I've got a feeling that the likes of Coutinho, Firmino and Sadio will form a potent AM combination next season. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if Sadio ended up our top scorer. He is undoubtably a good player. I just wish we would have spent this type of sum on a CM that's all. It's centre mid where we are as weak as p[iss].
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:23 pm

The transfer window is still open a bit longer yet. this isn't the final day. Have faith...     big name CM on his way, trust uncle Leeroy
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:35 pm

Very happy with the signing.. We've been desperate for pace uptop since Sterling left. A decent Left back and a good CM and ill be very happy with this transfer window.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:00 pm

Welcome sadio.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:42 pm

what a risk... 34 million pounds. I hope he doesnt become another expensive flop like Benteke...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:06 pm

Let's put this in perspective.

Is he worth the 38mill, being our most expensive buy ever ?
On paper he isn't (not many players at the high end are worth what you pay for them really; Wanyama at 11mill is the exception), but if he goes out and has a Suarez/Torres impact however unlikely that is, he will be worth it and more.

Is he better than what we have ?
Overall, I think he's slightly better than Lallana, significantly better than Firmino, and a step behind Coutinho.

Will he transform our style of play, or suddenly make us competitors ?
No & no. Cant think of a single player we can realistically go for (Yaya Toure and Ibrahimovic come close) who would make us competitors overnight or would warrant a drastic change in style for. 

Does he come in to fill a blatant gap in our tarting 11?
Many will argue that he doesn't, but I think he does. We needed someone who is direct, can score goals, and has a bit of pace. Mane has all these qualities. We had/have the names on the team sheet but how effective they are is questionable.

Is he the best option in his position we could have gotten for what we paid ? 
Another question that is perhaps up for debate. I think one of the big boys would have paid that money if we hadn't sooner or later. The best AMs and forwards go for big money and would probably want CL football and big wages. If we agree that we arent competing with the likes of City and Chelsea, then Mane is up there with the other 30-40mill gambles (Sane, Mahrez, Gotze, etc.) you'd take in the hope of them stepping up to the plate when playing regularly at the highest level. Personally, I would have gone for all the names I've mentioned or Draxler (probably the best of the bunch but in a different price bracket) but I'd also say that they are all bigger risk/bigger reward signings than Mane.

Given our current squad, does his signing represent the best way of spending 30-40mill ?
I think most Liverpool fans recognize the main weaknesses in the current starting 11 and squad. It would be silly to suggest the management aren't equally worried about them. GK, LB, at least 1 CM are all almost must-buys for this window. We've signed a young GK. Whether he is better than Mignolet, he starts, he does well, or not is yet to be seen. Given the player's reputation and the low fee paid, many would be forgiven for thinking he was signed as cover for Mignolet, in which case we'd desperately need to sign a GK. Now that we've signed an attacking player for big money, lets hope we don't compromise on quality for the other positions we need to address.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:31 pm

Welcome to the club lad  :nod

Think that is almost 100 million we have given Southampton in the last 3 years  :down: so hopefully we get a better return this time.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:32 pm

red till i die!! » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:31 pm wrote:Welcome to the club lad  :nod

Think that is almost 100 million we have given Southampton in the last 3 years  :down: so hopefully we get a better return this time.

Never mind mate, the way things are going a £100m will probably be the price of a loaf of bread over here soon so it's us who have ripped them off  :laugh:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:13 am

No fear ,freakish pace ,superb ball control ,and can slot for fun ,and now he has Klopp as his manager . What else does he need ? Southampton fans can mock us on social media ,but the real Saints fans who go the game every week know full well they're losing a top player.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:39 am

aCe' » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:06 pm wrote:Let's put this in perspective.

Is he worth the 38mill, being our most expensive buy ever ?
On paper he isn't (not many players at the high end are worth what you pay for them really; Wanyama at 11mill is the exception), but if he goes out and has a Suarez/Torres impact however unlikely that is, he will be worth it and more.

Is he better than what we have ?
Overall, I think he's slightly better than Lallana, significantly better than Firmino, and a step behind Coutinho.

Will he transform our style of play, or suddenly make us competitors ?
No & no. Cant think of a single player we can realistically go for (Yaya Toure and Ibrahimovic come close) who would make us competitors overnight or would warrant a drastic change in style for. 

Does he come in to fill a blatant gap in our tarting 11?
Many will argue that he doesn't, but I think he does. We needed someone who is direct, can score goals, and has a bit of pace. Mane has all these qualities. We had/have the names on the team sheet but how effective they are is questionable.

Is he the best option in his position we could have gotten for what we paid ? 
Another question that is perhaps up for debate. I think one of the big boys would have paid that money if we hadn't sooner or later. The best AMs and forwards go for big money and would probably want CL football and big wages. If we agree that we arent competing with the likes of City and Chelsea, then Mane is up there with the other 30-40mill gambles (Sane, Mahrez, Gotze, etc.) you'd take in the hope of them stepping up to the plate when playing regularly at the highest level. Personally, I would have gone for all the names I've mentioned or Draxler (probably the best of the bunch but in a different price bracket) but I'd also say that they are all bigger risk/bigger reward signings than Mane.

Given our current squad, does his signing represent the best way of spending 30-40mill ?
I think most Liverpool fans recognize the main weaknesses in the current starting 11 and squad. It would be silly to suggest the management aren't equally worried about them. GK, LB, at least 1 CM are all almost must-buys for this window. We've signed a young GK. Whether he is better than Mignolet, he starts, he does well, or not is yet to be seen. Given the player's reputation and the low fee paid, many would be forgiven for thinking he was signed as cover for Mignolet, in which case we'd desperately need to sign a GK. Now that we've signed an attacking player for big money, lets hope we don't compromise on quality for the other positions we need to address.

Perfect summary of everything that's both right and wrong with this signing.

For the money we have spent though, we are all hoping Mane can become a superstar for us.

I feel a bit more confident that Klopp has talked him up over the last 24 hours, as I was starting to think this was another committee signing........
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby leeroy74 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:10 am

He hasn't even kicked a ball for us and people are whinging like girls? ohhh £34m...  oh no!
So what if he cost us a few quid? You'll no doubt moan if we'd only spend £10m on him cos it's bargain basement you queens!

grow a pair you tarts!
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby number 8 ynwa » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:17 pm

leeroy74 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:10 am wrote:He hasn't even kicked a ball for us and people are whinging like girls? ohhh £34m...  oh no!
So what if he cost us a few quid? You'll no doubt moan if we'd only spend £10m on him cos it's bargain basement you queens!

grow a pair you tarts!

I really wish we had a "like" button on here - Best and most accurate post of the day!!!!!
number 8 ynwa
LFC Basic Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion