Right side - Just a thought

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:02 pm

Jermaine Pennant. Anyone fancy him for us in the summer?
£2million is the apparent selling price and leeds can't afford it. Should we be interested in a young english right sided midfielder or should we go for real proven quality? surely he's better than our current right sided options.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:13 pm

He would be a good player. Is still improving and would improve quickly playing with Stevie, Harry an Didi me thinks. Not a bad shout.

I certainly wouldn't be dissapointed if we were to sign him.

However its unlikely as he's suposed to have a bit of an attitude.
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:33 am

Yeah, Pennant looks like he has a bit of talent alright, but as Stu rightly says, he allegedly has a bit of an attitude problem.

I saw a documentary about him and a few other young English players (such as Joe Cole) on BBC a year or two ago and he would remind me a small bit of Anelka/Collymore in personality: very deep and broody, a guy that doesn't say much but you just know he's got some issues going on.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Coley » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:47 am

Don't know much about his attitude problems, but i like the player.  I agree that he is certainly better than our current right sided options.  We'll never sign him though because he isn't French and wouldn't cost £10M +
Coley

Postby Starbridge42 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:26 pm

I'm going to get something off my chest here, I don't like the  way  people  here critisicze GH for everything even things that aren't always bad.  Granted he has made some poor signings but so has every manager, so he favours french players to British players I'll be honest I do too.  If Gerrard Houllier died tomorrow you'd probably all  be critiscing him for not dying dramatically enough.  Geez, cut the guy some slack I'd like to see anyone here do any better.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Scottbot » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:50 pm

I wouldn't get particularly excited if we signed Pennant. He does look like he has some potential but i would prefer us to sign a more consistent player to play on the right. We all like Malbranque but i would also love us to try and get Wright-Phillips from Man.City - This lad is coming on in leaps and bounds and will be snapped up by one of the big buys very soon. I watched him run us ragged in our 2-2 game at City at xmas.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion