RICKIE LAMBERT - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC1990 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:55 pm

To be honest he did try but LAmbert didnt want to go

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:02 pm

'I just couldn't bring myself to leave' Rickie Lambert on why he rejected £5m move to Villa on deadline dayLiverpool FC striker Rickie Lambert has revealed why he turned down a £5million move to Aston Villa as he insisted: “I just couldn’t bring myself to leave.”

The 33-year-old frontman, speaking about the dramatic events of transfer deadline day for the first time, says he came “very close” to signing for the Midlands outfit.

Boss Brendan Rodgers called to inform him of Villa’s offer and said the Reds wouldn’t stand in his way if he wanted to move to Villa Park in search of regular first-team football.

However, after hours of soul-searching and just 90 minutes before the window shut, Lambert snubbed the lucrative two-and-a-half year contract on the table, opting to stay put and fight for his place at Anfield.

Having realised a boyhood dream by signing for the Reds in a £4.5million deal from Southampton last summer, Kirkby-born Lambert wasn’t ready to walk away.

“I wasn’t aware of any interest until deadline day,” Lambert told the ECHO.

“I got a phone call from the gaffer about 4pm saying Aston Villa had come in. He said he didn’t want me to go but basically offered me the chance if I wanted to play football, which is fair enough.

“I spoke to my agent, I spoke to my wife, I spoke to Aston Villa and it was close. It was very close. It was touch and go. We agreed everything.

“The deal was agreed, but in the end, there just wasn’t enough time to say ‘yes’ - to make a decision in the space of four or five hours for the next two-and-a-half-years. Not just for me, but for my family as well.

“It was something I just couldn’t do. It was too short notice. It was too big of a decision to make in the short amount of time I had.

“It was late. It was about half nine (when I made my mind up). I would have had to have gone and done the medical then. I’d done that once before when Bristol Rovers came in for me on deadline day. Back then I was driving down in the car and negotiating the contract. That would have had to have been the same again. But at the last minute I said no.

“It was nothing negative towards Aston Villa, it’s a great club. I just didn’t think it was right for me to leave here just six months into my Liverpool career. I didn’t want to go.

“It was something that I would have probably looked back at a few years down the line and regretted if I had moved too early. It was very close but I just couldn’t do it.”

“It’s hard sometimes when you aren’t playing but I’m at the club I love. I’m not willing to give that up easily.”

Lambert’s decision was a relief to Rodgers, who wanted to keep the England international on board as the Reds continue to battle on three fronts between now and May.

“Brendan was made up,” he said.

“We had been speaking throughout the day and I was asking him for his help. I spoke to everyone who is close to me. In the end it came down to the amount of time I had to think about it and the thought of leaving Liverpool after six months.

“The gaffer was offering me the chance to go and play football and I respected that. He had said ‘it’s up to you’. He wanted me here but couldn’t guarantee me starting time.

“The team is playing well at the minute. I’m not the type to make a fuss anyway. I’ll keep my head down and work hard in training. I’m not going to be knocking on his door demanding to play.”

Lambert, who returned to Liverpool 17 years after he had been released from the Academy, has made 10 starts and 16 substitute appearances this term.

His opportunities have been limited recently with Daniel Sturridge having returned from injury and Mario Balotelli having belatedly made a impact for the Reds.

But with a resurgent Liverpool challenging for a top four finish in the Premier League as well as seeking glory in the FA Cup and the Europa League the depth of Rodgers’ squad will be tested.

Lambert is determined to ensure he grasps every chance to shine that comes his way.

“There is a lot of competition,” he added.

“This is a massive club with great players. I’ve had runs in the team. Obviously, I want to play every game but I knew when I came in the first place that I wasn’t going to play as much as I did at Southampton.

“Hopefully there are more occasions to come like the goal against Aston Villa and I can help the team at other times between now and the end of the season. I know it’s down to me to make the most of the games I get.

“I knew when I made the decision that I wasn’t going start being the main striker, but I knew that there would still be moments there. There’s going to be even more moments coming up where I can help the team and hopefully get a few more goals and memories. There’s a possible chance of two cup finals.”

Lambert’s three goals for the Reds have all arrived on their travels and he’s desperate to finally have one to celebrate on home turf.

“I’d love to get one at Anfield,” he said. “It’s something I’m desperate for. But as long as I’m scoring I’ll be happy. It all about helping the team. There’s a lot to play for.”
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Tue May 05, 2015 5:45 am

:laugh:  :laugh:

Chelsea weighing up move for Liverpool striker Rickie Lambert as Didier Drogba replacement

Stamford Bridge legend Drogba is out of contract this summer and the Blues had Lambert watched during Liverpool's win over QPR

Chelsea are considering a shock move for Rickie Lambert as a possible replacement for Didier Drogba.

The newly-crowned Champions had the 33-year-old Liverpool striker watched as he played the whole of Saturday’s 2-1 win over QPR.

The west Londoners are set to get an even closer look at Lambert next weekend as the Reds’ next game is at Stamford Bridge.

The former Southampton striker joins Tottenham’s Emmanuel Adebayor on the Chelsea shortlist to replace 37-year-old Drogba - third choice behind Diego Costa and Loic Remy - who is out of contract at the end of the season.

Drogba has confirmed he wants to continue playing but boss Jose Mourinho has yet to confirm whether the Blues legend will stay.

Last week the Special One suggested a final decision could be made by Chelsea owner, Roman Abramovich.

A move for Lambert would leave the Liverpool striker with yet another tough decision to make.

He decided against a £5million deadline day switch from his boyhood club to Aston Villa - where he would have gained regular first-team football - earlier this year.

He is now, however, one of several Reds stars allowed to leave Anfield at the end of the season and is expected to go for considerably less when the transfer window reopens.

Crystal Palace and Hull, who also expressed an interest during January, could also return to offer him more regular action this summer.

Since opting to stay at Anfield in February, Lambert has made just one start and eight substitute appearances, most of which have come in the closing minutes.
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Tue May 05, 2015 7:35 am

C-R » Tue May 05, 2015 4:45 am wrote::laugh:  :laugh:

Chelsea weighing up move for Liverpool striker Rickie Lambert as Didier Drogba replacement

Stamford Bridge legend Drogba is out of contract this summer and the Blues had Lambert watched during Liverpool's win over QPR

Chelsea are considering a shock move for Rickie Lambert as a possible replacement for Didier Drogba.

The newly-crowned Champions had the 33-year-old Liverpool striker watched as he played the whole of Saturday’s 2-1 win over QPR.

The west Londoners are set to get an even closer look at Lambert next weekend as the Reds’ next game is at Stamford Bridge.

The former Southampton striker joins Tottenham’s Emmanuel Adebayor on the Chelsea shortlist to replace 37-year-old Drogba - third choice behind Diego Costa and Loic Remy - who is out of contract at the end of the season.

Drogba has confirmed he wants to continue playing but boss Jose Mourinho has yet to confirm whether the Blues legend will stay.

Last week the Special One suggested a final decision could be made by Chelsea owner, Roman Abramovich.

A move for Lambert would leave the Liverpool striker with yet another tough decision to make.

He decided against a £5million deadline day switch from his boyhood club to Aston Villa - where he would have gained regular first-team football - earlier this year.

He is now, however, one of several Reds stars allowed to leave Anfield at the end of the season and is expected to go for considerably less when the transfer window reopens.

Crystal Palace and Hull, who also expressed an interest during January, could also return to offer him more regular action this summer.

Since opting to stay at Anfield in February, Lambert has made just one start and eight substitute appearances, most of which have come in the closing minutes.

We should tell them £25m, or no deal :nod
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby red till i die!! » Tue May 05, 2015 1:52 pm

C-R » Tue May 05, 2015 5:45 am wrote::laugh:  :laugh:

Had a good chuckle at that one myself.
We don't need him and he should be sold for a profit seeing as a host of clubs could be interested. He took a massive step back in his career signing for us and sitting on the bench so I don't know what he could expect to achieve at Chelsea.  I don't even think loic remy has played enough to collect a winners medal with them this season.

If he wants to play then hull or palace would be the best place for him.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Tue May 05, 2015 2:47 pm

Joking aside Lambert was treated terribly by Rodgers ,Ricky is good footballer and a decent striker ,he doesn't play or mess around and he is quite well in front of goal ,the fact he didn't get significant minutes although we played with no/terrible strikers is evident of ,another ,BR failure. I really feel for him.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 05, 2015 4:49 pm

only me » Tue May 05, 2015 1:47 pm wrote:Joking aside Lambert was treated terribly by Rodgers ,Ricky is good footballer and a decent striker ,he doesn't play or mess around and he is quite well in front of goal ,the fact he didn't get significant minutes although we played with no/terrible strikers is evident of ,another ,BR failure. I really feel for him.

Agree completely ! Not one of the most talented strikers we ever had BUT at least the fella ACTUALLY wanted to play for us ! Unlike the ***** taking  Balotelli   :veryangry

Can't believe how the tactical/motivational genius that is our manager man preferred the Italian "show pony"  ahead of a fella who'd at least run himself into the ground for LFC.   :kungfu:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby devaney » Tue May 05, 2015 5:56 pm

I think your clutching at straws lads. Lambert's a good lad and a decent professional but the reason he hasn't been given more match time is simply because he is not good enough. Blame BR for mismanagement if you wish but do you seriously think that BR would commit career suicide by not playing Lambert if he thought for one minute that he was the answer to our problems. I have seen little or no evidence when Lambert has played to suggest that he is in the twilight years of his career. You'll be suggesting before long that we should never have got rid of Joe Cole because Rogers didn't use him effectively.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Tue May 05, 2015 6:18 pm

I agree with Dev. Lambert seems honest and hard working and all that, but he wasn't good enough for us as a kid, and that's not changed. Saying that, he's probably good enough for BR.
RedAnt

Postby andy_g » Tue May 05, 2015 6:57 pm

RedAnt » Tue May 05, 2015 6:18 pm wrote: Saying that, he's probably good enough for BR.

that's a bit of a funny comment isn't it? surely if he was good enough for rodgers then rodgers would play him.

i'd have liked to have seen more of him. sterling is a better all round player but a much less effective choice as a striker. lambert is also more of a threat than the traffic cone that is borini. he isn't good enough to be a regular starter, but with an injured sturridge, a pointless balotelli and a traffic cone as the other striking options this is definitely a case where the manager should have been more flexible and changed things around a bit to give him more time on the pitch.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 05, 2015 6:59 pm

devaney » Tue May 05, 2015 4:56 pm wrote:I think your clutching at straws lads.

Clutching at straws about as much as you're sucking on one Dev,  !

No ones claiming that Lambert is anything much more than a decent pro. Personally i'm just thinking that given the toss up between a gifted ***** that can't be ar'sed and a fella that's just itching for game time I know who I'd choose !

And BTW, lets be fair to Rikki, he's not just some plumber who plays sunday league footy, he had a decent record at Southampton has played for England, may not have been the right "fit" for LFC under BR (which begs the question why did we sign him) but imo the fella was never given a a fair shake in the first place

As Stu would say "f*cking End Of" !   :kungfu:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RedAnt » Tue May 05, 2015 7:13 pm

andy_g » Tue May 05, 2015 5:57 pm wrote:
RedAnt » Tue May 05, 2015 6:18 pm wrote: Saying that, he's probably good enough for BR.

that's a bit of a funny comment isn't it? surely if he was good enough for rodgers then rodgers would play him.

i'd have liked to have seen more of him. sterling is a better all round player but a much less effective choice as a striker. lambert is also more of a threat than the traffic cone that is borini. he isn't good enough to be a regular starter, but with an injured sturridge, a pointless balotelli and a traffic cone as the other striking options this is definitely a case where the manager should have been more flexible and changed things around a bit to give him more time on the pitch.

I meant he's good enough for Swansea. A lil dig at the manager. Our whole front line is a mess really. Balotelli might be useless for us, but BR seems to have gotten even less out of him than any manager before. As for Borini, well remembering his strop for getting sent off that day, he should never have played again. But we're so short upfront that BR had no option. It's crazy to look back over the season and the things that have happened. I know it's not all Rodgers, but boy have we looked amateur at times.
RedAnt

Postby only me » Wed May 06, 2015 9:09 am

RedAnt » Tue May 05, 2015 5:18 pm wrote:I agree with Dev. Lambert seems honest and hard working and all that, but he wasn't good enough for us as a kid, and that's not changed. Saying that, he's probably good enough for BR.

Rodgers signed the lad ffs ,so he at some date and time thought he is good enough ,and when you take into account how horrible our first and 2nd options were you just can't understand why he wasn't given some more minutes. Well i kinda know why ,BR sucks!

It's not to say that Ricky is the answers to our woes ,but ffs give him a chance.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby andy c legs » Thu May 07, 2015 11:16 pm

Rickie Lambert never got anywhere near enough game time to prove his true worth. I'd have played him in a front two with Sterling, surely that would not have been too much to arrange? Rickie, as quiet rightly pointed out had a decent record at Southampton and was a bit of a steal at £4 mill. I believe we would not have struggled so much up front if he had been given a better opportunity. Now we will never know.

He will go down as yet another Rodgers transfer flop but the finger of blame for that can be pointed directly at Rodgers.
[b]I am and always will be in love with them...
andy c legs
LFC Basic Member

Postby Big Niall » Mon May 18, 2015 1:09 am

Why is he at LFC ? Bang average.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion