Reserve and academy news - All posts here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redman in wales » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:59 pm

PACHECO SHINES IN HOLLAND

Daniel Pacheco was in impressive form as Liverpool Reserves reached the quarter-final of the International Cor Groenewegen Tournament in Holland. 
The Spanish striker scored five goals including one sensational Xabi Alonso-esque effort from the halfway line against Danish side FC Copenhagen.

Included in Gary Ablett's squad for the tournament were Youth Cup starlets Lauri Dalle Valle, David Amoo, Thomas Ince and Alex Kacaniklic.

In their first game a young Reds team beat AZ Alkmaar 4-0 with Pacheco (2), Dalle Valle and Icelandic midfielder Victor Palsson on target.

Dalle Valle was again on target in the second game but Portugese outfit Belenenses edged it 2-1.

Pacheco then scored from inside his own half in a 2-0 win over FC Copenhagen, which also featured a goal from Swedish winger Alex Kacaniklic.

A 2-0 defeat to FC Utrecht then followed before Pacheco scored a brilliant free-kcik in a 1-1 draw with FC Twente.

The former Barcelona ace was again on target as the Reds beat Vitesse Arnhem 1-0 in their final game but it wasn't enough to make the semi-final.

---

would love to see him get a couple of appearances in the 1st team next season.. even if its just carling cup....

He'll turn 19 next season so he can't be far off the first team if he's that good.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:07 pm

Redman in wales wrote:PACHECO SHINES IN HOLLAND

Daniel Pacheco was in impressive form as Liverpool Reserves reached the quarter-final of the International Cor Groenewegen Tournament in Holland. 
The Spanish striker scored five goals including one sensational Xabi Alonso-esque effort from the halfway line against Danish side FC Copenhagen.

Included in Gary Ablett's squad for the tournament were Youth Cup starlets Lauri Dalle Valle, David Amoo, Thomas Ince and Alex Kacaniklic.

In their first game a young Reds team beat AZ Alkmaar 4-0 with Pacheco (2), Dalle Valle and Icelandic midfielder Victor Palsson on target.

Dalle Valle was again on target in the second game but Portugese outfit Belenenses edged it 2-1.

Pacheco then scored from inside his own half in a 2-0 win over FC Copenhagen, which also featured a goal from Swedish winger Alex Kacaniklic.

A 2-0 defeat to FC Utrecht then followed before Pacheco scored a brilliant free-kcik in a 1-1 draw with FC Twente.

The former Barcelona ace was again on target as the Reds beat Vitesse Arnhem 1-0 in their final game but it wasn't enough to make the semi-final.

---

would love to see him get a couple of appearances in the 1st team next season.. even if its just carling cup....

He'll turn 19 next season so he can't be far off the first team if he's that good.

Sounds impressive hopefully they will have some highlights on the channel some time this week.

He still looks a bit lightweight when i have seen him this season but his touch and vision is fantastic.
Also if you score a goal from your own half at any level you must have decent technique.

He will get a chance pre-season no doubt and then we will see if he is nearly there.

Fingers crossed.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:02 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
Redman in wales wrote:PACHECO SHINES IN HOLLAND

---

Sounds impressive hopefully they will have some highlights on the channel some time this week.

He still looks a bit lightweight when i have seen him this season but his touch and vision is fantastic.
Also if you score a goal from your own half at any level you must have decent technique.

He will get a chance pre-season no doubt and then we will see if he is nearly there.

Fingers crossed.

I must say that he has looked significantly less lightweight this season than last. Still has many of the same issues, such as spending too much time on the ball, but IMO he has made progress. Pacheco still has some time, he was young enough to have been playing in the youth cup.  I am more worried about Nemeth turning out to not quite have the goods to make it, especially in the pace department.
JoeTerp

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:21 am

When Rafael Benitez was negotiating his new contract at Anfield last season, one of the biggest stumbling blocks was his insistence that he have more control over the Liverpool Academy system.

Rafa was upset with the lack of players making the jump up to the first team. And when the owners finally gave in to the Spaniard's demands, one of the first things the Reds boss did was ask Frank McParland to evaluate the current state of the Academy.

That evaluation eventually led to McParland taking over as Academy director a short time later and instigating one of the biggest overhauls in the history of the Liverpool youth system.

I recently had the chance to sit down with McParland and chat about his relationship with Rafa, the Academy system and his plan to help Liverpool produce some homegrown talent for the first team again.

Here is what he had to say ...

Keith Costigan: Liverpool is such a big club and brings in players from all over the world. Can you talk about how you keep in contact with scouts globally and choose which players are lucky enough to sign with the club?

Frank McParland: There are restrictions within the academy system that means you have certain geographical restrictions on the players you can bring in to the club. For instance, at aged 13 and under you can only recruit players within an hour of the club. That increases to 90 minutes over the next few age levels, which means that we cannot really recruit foreign players unless they move to Liverpool, and that is not something that we do here.

K.C.: Liverpool has scouts all over the world and we have seen an influx of players between 16 and 18 signing with the club. Can you talk about the process of deciding which players get to join the Academy?

F.M.: Bringing in players older than 16 is not that hard as most countries allow players aged 16 to turn professional. The first team here at Liverpool has a massive scouting network throughout the world, but for me here at the academy, it is my job to find the best talent a little closer to home.

That means scouring England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales for the best young players and making sure that they come to Anfield. Now if there is a great young player from somewhere else in the world and we have a chance to get him, then we will obviously look to sign him, but our main focus will be on the players closer to home.

Liverpool hasn't fielded a regular first team starter from its own Academy since Steven Gerrard debuted 11 years ago. (Michael Steele / Getty Images)

We are working on improving everything at the academy. We are not just focusing on bringing in players but also improving the coaching, fitness and even the physiotherapists that we use.

We sign players at seven and eight and we really want to work with those players. If we have the right ones then we really should only be adding one or two players per year with a few leaving, and if we do things correctly, then we won't need to sign as many foreign players.

K.C.: Liverpool used to have a strong tradition of bringing local talent like Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher through the ranks and on to first team football, but the youth system hasn't produced a regular first team player in a long time now. How important is it for Liverpool to produce another local first team star from the youth team that can give the rest of the academy system someone to look up to?

F.M.: It has been 11 years since Steven made his debut and since then we haven't had one player that has played regularly in the first team. That alone is proof that our system has not been working and that is why there are so many changes being made to the academy. Rafa is very keen on seeing a local player come through and that is our aim over the next few years.

If we could get 11 players from Liverpool city center at the club it would be great, but we will not sacrifice getting the best players available to do it. If there is an average player from Liverpool and a great player from Scunthorpe, then we are obviously going to try and sign the great player from Scunthorpe. But we do hope to find those great players that are a little closer to home.

K.C.: Barcelona has just won the Champions League with a lot of homegrown players in their squad to prove a proper youth system can work. Do you think English clubs have fallen behind Europe in this regard, and if so, is it down to a lack of quality players or a lack of quality coaching?

F.M.: It is great for us that our new Academy coach, Jose Segura, was a big part of that successful Barcelona youth team that produced players like Iniesta and Xavi, but English clubs have had some success too over the last few years. Manchester United had about five or six players make their debut after coming through the academy last season, while Manchester City and Middlesbrough have also had some success, so there are young players out there that can make the grade and it is up to us to make sure they end up here.

K.C.: Jose Segura is a coach with a great background in the game and he will obviously come to Liverpool with his own ideas. How difficult is it for coaches that have spent their entire time in the English coaching system to adapt to a new man with new philosophies?

F.M.: Jose certainly has a structure and a plan of what he wants done. He is very organized and he has done it through his career at Barcelona and Greece, so we are very happy to have him. I have had five or six meetings with him while Rafa knows him well and likes his ideas. He can provide a foreign influence to our system while coaches like myself can bring the English style to the academy. And if we can marry the two styles then it could be great for the club.

K.C.: Over the last few years many people have looked upon the Academy and the first team at Liverpool as two very separate entities, but Rafa is obviously trying to change things by making a lot of changes to the youth system. Can you talk about your relationship with Rafa before and after you took the job and what it means for the club to have the youth team and the first team at the club working closer together?

F.M.: It is really important that the Academy work closer with Melwood and the first team. I had worked for Rafa as a chief scout for four years before I left with Sammy Lee to become the general manager at Bolton. It was a short spell at Bolton but even then I was in close contact with Rafa and he has always been a tremendous influence on my career.

I have worked in football for a long time and also worked in industrial jobs and I can safely say that I have never come across a more harder-working man than Rafael Benitez. He leads by example and is constantly keeping in touch and making sure things are getting done properly. He was a great friend to me even when I was away from the club and I was delighted when I got the call to come in and look at the academy for a month.

He seemed happy with some of the suggestions that I made and offered me the job here.

K.C.: Coaches are always hesitant to single out young players who may have a bright future in case they put too much pressure on the player, but is there anyone at the Academy that will be making the step-up to Melwood that you believe has what it takes to become a first team regular?

F.M.: It is a bit early to say especially because I haven't been here that long, but there are four or five players that have done reasonably well in the youth cup. David Amoo is one player that has potential. He has a lot to do as a player but he does have a lot of raw talent and may be one to watch. Lauri Dalla Valle is another player who has done well and if he can continue to develop he could make the grade.

K.C.: Is it important for youth teams to mirror the style and system that the first team play so the transition is easier for the younger players when they do make the step up?

F.M.: I know that clubs like Barcelona and Ajax do it and I guess if you are building players for your first team then it is not a bad way to do it. I think it is important for the reserves and the 18's to somewhat resemble what the first team does, but with younger players, we still want them to learn about other roles and positions they may have to play.

K.C.: Looking towards your next few years with the academy, can you give us an idea of what you would consider a realistic target of success in relation to bringing players through to the first team?

F.M.: Well at this stage we have had very little coming through the ranks so our initial goal is to get one through and then hopefully we can drive on from there. The good thing is Rafa and Sammy Lee will be down here watching and if the kid is good enough then he will be given every opportunity to be a success at this club.

link
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:40 am

s@int wrote:I think it is important for the reserves and the 18's to somewhat resemble what the first team does, but with younger players, we still want them to learn about other roles and positions they may have to play.

It's a great read S@int thanks for posting it. It does look like they are cottoning on to the idea that there may be an odd player kicking around without resorting to an easyjet flsight to go watch em.

The little quote there was just something which caught me eye, don't know why really    :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:40 pm

s@int wrote:We are working on improving everything at the academy. We are not just focusing on bringing in players but also improving the coaching, fitness and even the physiotherapists that we use.

We sign players at seven and eight and we really want to work with those players. If we have the right ones then we really should only be adding one or two players per year with a few leaving, and if we do things correctly, then we won't need to sign as many foreign players.

:nod
LFC2007

Postby ElNino9 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:57 pm

BOSS IMPRESSED BY MTK ACADEMY
Paul Hassall 16 July 2009

Rafael Benitez today hailed the first-team prospects of both Krisztian Nemeth and Peter Gulacsi following a flying visit to the Sandor Karoly Football Academy of MTK Hungaria. 

The boss took time out from his pre-season preparations in Switzerland to drop in on an under-16 training session at the Agard-based youth set-up of the Hungarian outfit.

Benitez was quick to admit he was hugely impressed by an Academy that has helped groom the Reds quartet of Nemeth, Gulacsi, Andras Simon and Zsolt Poloskei.

"My colleagues reported that the people here are doing a first class job and I have wanted to see this academy for a long time," said Rafa.

"It's a well organised system with an excellent training staff - just as I expected."

Benitez fielded two graduates of the Academy - Nemeth and Gulacsi - in last night's goalless draw with St Gallen and revealed he was more than pleased with the pair's contribution.

"I think both of them showed quality and they have also shown their ability in training. They've got a lot of talent, they're working hard, and I'm satisfied with both of them.

"Our other Hungarians, Andras Simon and Zsolt Poloskei are also doing their job very well."

Asked if he felt Nemeth and Gulacsi had realistic first-team prospects, Benitez added: "Yes, of course. I think both of them have a real chance.

"Krisztian has great playing intelligence and is a very good goal-getter. He has improved physically but he must gain a little more experience, and, of course, he has to improve because the Premier League is a high level.

"Peter is still very young, and a goalkeeper that is 24-25 years of age is not an old player. He has got a lot of time.

"Naturally, we want to keep both of them because they could have a great future."

ElNino9

Postby Zidane » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:41 pm

I wish I could see Pacheco play or any of the reserves, or preseason games etc.  I can't wait for the season to start hearing about games and not being able to watch them is tough. :(
Zidane

Postby Dundalk » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:49 am

LINK

Liverpool are on the verge of signing Danish starlet Nikolaj Kohlert, according to the player's agent.

Kohlert enjoyed a trial at Liverpool earlier this year and the Reds have moved quickly to line up a deal for the Esbjergs midfielder.

The 16-year-old is yet to make his debut for Esbjerg and should he sign for Liverpool he will continue his footballing education with the club's academy.

Kohlert's agent, Allan Nielsen, says only personal terms need to be agreed for the deal to be finalised with Rafa Benitez's men.

"I can say as much as there will be a meeting in Liverpool today. The only thing remaining is the personal contract," Nielsen told Danish website bold.dk.

"I see no immediate problems in the clubs agreeing. There should be no problems at all but last but not least, it will be up to Esbjerg. But I am sure this will be no problem.

"This is a fantastic opportunity for a 16-year-old. He is ready both as a person and as a footballer. He will probably start in the academy on a scholarship before he turns 17.

"After that it will be the reserve team and then he will get a professional contract for three years with an additional option for Liverpool.

"It is a really really good contract. All that's remaining now is to get the details in place today."
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ElNino9 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:46 pm

Kohlert has already said he coming.
ElNino9

Postby Reg » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:59 pm

Tuesday, 28 July 2009 16:06 UK  BBC

Liverpool set focus on youngsters 

Liverpool reserve-team manager John McMahon says the club are aiming to develop more players capable of breaking into the first team.
Current Reds skipper Steven Gerrard was the last notable player to graduate from reserve and youth level and hold down a regular first-team place.

"The total aim is to produce players to play in Liverpool's first-team," he told BBC Radio Merseyside.

McMahon replaced former reserve coach Gary Ablett in June. "There's a big squad and obviously everyone's not going to get games, so some players will be looking to go out on loan," he added.

McMahon, who is the younger brother of former Liverpool midfielder Steve, joins the Liverpool coaching team after a successful three-year spell at Shrewsbury Town. He initially worked as number two to Gary Peters at the League Two club before assisting current manager Paul Simpson.

In his time at the New Meadow he helped Shrewsbury reach two League Two play-off finals, but now he is at Anfield McMahon knows the priorities of his job have changed.

"Everyone's here for the same thing," he said. "From the academy right through to the reserves, and that's producing players for the first-team."  McMahon was brought in as part of a number of backroom changes at Anfield this summer, which has also seen former boss Kenny Dalglish take up a senior role at the club's academy.

McMahon is joined in the dug-out by former Tranmere Rovers goalkeeper John Achterberg. The two men worked together at Prenton Park when McMahon, who was then a youth-team coach at Rovers, took up the role of caretaker manager following the departures of Ray Mathias and Brian Little.

And McMahon is delighted to be linking up with the Dutchman again.  "John's a great character and a workaholic so it's a great appointment for Liverpool Football Club," he said.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:06 pm

Errrr....I watched a helluva lot of Ressie games last season and was more than disappointed on many occasions. I have to say, I don't see where these two lads now in charge are gonna change things fundamentally from Gary Ablett, who at least had top level playing experience to call on. What did these guys ever do on the pitch ? Is Shrewsbury the right basis for developing footballing talent at one of the world's elite clubs ? Can you really say that "Right - I've done it at Shrewsbury, now I can produce the next generation of Class A players for Liverpool !" ?
Nah, I don't buy it.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby GYBS » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:10 pm

Well Abletts top level playing experience turned a very successfull ressie team into and unsuccessfull ressie team - just because these guys didnt play at the top level doesnt mean they wont make good coaches/managers ect - plenty of ithe best managers in the world in the past has poor playing levels and experience and some of the best players in the world turned out to be poor managers when they tried . Lets give these guys a chance before writing them off
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:18 pm

I disagree, mate. Now is not the time to say "Let's suck it and see...". Not with the money the other clubs have to spend in a drunken fit.....I would advocate getting someone with a proven record of delivery in, NOW ! Not taking a punt on somebody who hasn't done it....yet.....we shouldn't be a testing ground for their theories....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby GYBS » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:22 pm

Which person is that then to bring in ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion