Reserve and academy news - All posts here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:56 pm

JoeTerp wrote:the last match was his first start at reserve level FFS, and I imagine that coming back from a whole season out injured still takes a bit to work out ALL of the cobwebs.  I think its waaay to early to judge on him, he comes very highly rated in the Danish youth camp at the various levels of international youth footy.  Look at how much Pacheco has improved since he has come, same with Ayala.  Saric is still only 18 years old.  Maybe we should let him play 2 or 3 reserve games before we write him off completely.

Fine.  Give him 2 games, 3 games, whatever.  Give him til the end of the season, then you can come to the same conclusion - he isn't good enough.

Pacheco is a bad comparison, he looked like he had quality from the first time he kicked a ball in the reserves.  It didn't take me a season to work that one out though mate :)
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:17 am

john craig wrote:I think these days you need to stand out at that level to have any chance of breaking into the first team of a top four club in the Premiership.  Fact is most of these lads can forget about it, which is sad.

Add that to the multi millions spent on the 1st team squad and they haven't got a hope in hell. So why we need to keep 'poaching' players from abroad I don't know, perhaps in the hope they will 'stand out' or simply to spend a little to gain a little when we sell them.

These days being loaned out is more often than not the end of their 1st team chances. Voronin has come back and played for the 1st team, but then he played for the 1st team a fair bit before being loaned out. If you get loaned out before making a 1st team appearance then you might as well start looking elsewhere.

The only way I can see Nemeth making it into our 1st team now is if he has a blinding season out on loan. How old were Gerrard, Carra, Fowler, Owen and Macca when they debuted for the 1st team? Nemeth is 20, will be 21 by the time he returns. I can't see him making the 1st team anyway, but not if he hasn't made it into contention by 22/23. Let's face it, there are six outfield subs slots and our bench is not loaded with class.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:53 pm

Owzat wrote:The only way I can see Nemeth making it into our 1st team now is if he has a blinding season out on loan. How old were Gerrard, Carra, Fowler, Owen and Macca when they debuted for the 1st team? Nemeth is 20, will be 21 by the time he returns. I can't see him making the 1st team anyway, but not if he hasn't made it into contention by 22/23. Let's face it, there are six outfield subs slots and our bench is not loaded with class.

I agree with that, Nemeth has much less chance of making it at LFC now he has been loaned out.  I'd have kept him and had him on the bench this season - as you say, our bench isn't loaded with class.  I'd go one further and say our bench is pretty sh.it, especially in comparison with our rivals.

The only player I can think of who got loaned out and came back and made his mark with the first team at a big club as old as 20 is Beckham at United.  I'm sure he at least turned 20 during his debut season for them anyway after going to Preston on loan.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:29 am

So we've sold another one of the young lads.....
Jesus wept - does anybody know what is going on at the Academy ? :angry:

Liverpool today confirmed the sale of midfielder Ryan Flynn to Scottish Premier League side Falkirk. 
The 20-year-old Scot was on a season-long loan with The Bairns but the deal has now been made permanent.

Flynn, who originally joined the Academy from Falkirk in 2006, was a key part of our successive FA Youth Cup wins, scoring in the final against Man City in 2006 and bagging three goals during the 2007 campaign.

He also helped the second string to league glory in 2007-08.

The youngster had yet to make his senior competitive debut for Liverpool, though featured in several pre-season friendlies.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby DrPepe » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:58 am

but we've bought an Ngoo ....  :D

i wonder what proportion of youngsters at academies actually "make it" in the prem (let alone a top4 team in the prem)

must be a tiny %
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:55 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:So we've sold another one of the young lads.....
Jesus wept - does anybody know what is going on at the Academy ? :angry:

Liverpool today confirmed the sale of midfielder Ryan Flynn to Scottish Premier League side Falkirk. 
The 20-year-old Scot was on a season-long loan with The Bairns but the deal has now been made permanent.

Flynn, who originally joined the Academy from Falkirk in 2006, was a key part of our successive FA Youth Cup wins, scoring in the final against Man City in 2006 and bagging three goals during the 2007 campaign.

He also helped the second string to league glory in 2007-08.

The youngster had yet to make his senior competitive debut for Liverpool, though featured in several pre-season friendlies.

Flynn probably never should have been promoted to Melwood in the first place. Not a big deal. We had to loan him to a non-league side at one point just so he could be assured of playing (did well there to be fair)
JoeTerp

Postby Reg » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:33 pm

If Kenny doesnt believe the lad has the twinkle in his eye thats ok by me.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Nando26 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:49 am

DrPepe wrote:but we've bought an Ngoo ....  :D

i wonder what proportion of youngsters at academies actually "make it" in the prem (let alone a top4 team in the prem)

must be a tiny %

yeh but mate its only are academy that does this...dont you know  :D
Nando26

Postby RedBlood » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:41 pm

heimdall wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:really looking forward to see Saric start tonight. I have only seen him in very short spells before, and he has usually been on the pitch with our less talented reserves (Simon, Flora, etc) and sometimes he was annonymous and sometimes he flashed with some really nice touches, but it was all too little to judge on (not that 1 reserve game is enough either)

Eccleston showed a lot of skill in the first reserve game.  He still drifted in and out of the match too much in the first half though.  But he does have pace and skill with both feet.  **Could**  maybe do a role similar to what we want from Babel, but he still has some developing to go

What's the point, none of them will ever make the first team under Rafa, FACT. What the feck is Rafa's problem with bringing through youngsters from the academy, either they are all :censored: which I highly doubt or Rafa has no faith in them and prefers playing his own :censored: desperation transfer buys liek Wash, I just can't figure out which it is.

rafa is the one who bought them all and put them in the reserves so for you to think he wouldnt give them a chance when their READY shows what a clown you are
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:44 pm

Good win against the scum tonight. Hopefully a few will have done enough to convince Rafa to start them in the CC next week.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:24 am

What was the score Bav, any match report?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:41 am

Reg wrote:What was the score Bav, any match report?

1-0  to Liverpool, Mavinga in defence and Poulsen in midfield were superb ,and Rafa was at the game so I don't suppose their contribution went unnoticed . 

Ngog got the only goal of the game ,United had Macheda and Tosic playing but Liverpool totally dominated the play until Plessis was subsequently dismissed for a high challenge ,they were forced into playing on the counter attack but Mavinga especially was exceptional in defence ,and that Victor Poulsen kid looks a real find .
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:58 am

NGOG STRIKE SINKS UNITED
Jimmy Rice at Prenton Park 17 September 2009 

David Ngog staked a first-team claim with the winning goal as 10-man Liverpool Reserves beat arch-rivals Manchester United 1-0 on Thursday. 

The French striker fired in the opening minutes but the Reds had to work hard to maintain their lead at Prenton Park following the first-half dismissal of midfielder Damien Plessis.

John McMahon's second string have now collected six points from their opening three Barclays Premier Reserve League (North) games and look set to be fighting at the right end of the table after last season's disappointing campaign.

Liverpool made a flying start on four minutes when David Martin took a leaf out of Pepe Reina's book by launching the ball right down field towards Ngog. The Frenchman controlled under pressure before coolly nodding past the oncoming Ron-Robert Zieler.

United hopeful Federico Macheda, whose winner against Aston Villa last season played a huge part in denying Liverpool the title, almost equalised eight minutes later after dancing into a yard of space in the box. His low drive brought a fine reflex save from Martin.

United continued to press but McMahon's two lines of four, marshalled by the impressive Victor Palsson, were defending well.

There was almost a second for the Reds on the break when David Amoo zoomed past Joe Dudgeon before squaring to Nathan Eccleston. The 19-year-old beat the 'keeper but his finish was cleared off the line by right-back David Gray.

The further the half progressed, the better Liverpool became, and they almost fluked another goal when Amoo's cross swerved over the 'keeper and onto the roof of the net.

The Reds' dominance looked set to continue but the task of claiming north-west bragging rights became a whole lot tougher on 34 minutes when Plessis received a straight red after going in studs showing on United No.10 Magnus Eikrem.

McMahon quickly shuffled his pack, introducing Jay Spearing for winger Alex Kacaniklic.

Eccleston nearly created some breathing space when he thundered past two men before blasting too close to Zieler from a tight angle.

Liverpool started brightly in the second half, Ngog heading Spearing through on goal. The Wirral-born midfielder was just about to shoot when he was stopped in his tracks by a superb last-ditch tackle from centre-back Ritchie De Laet.

Macheda almost levelled things on 56 minutes after a defence-splitting pass brought him one-on-one with Martin, who saved well with his feet.

United were starting to take advantage of their extra man as one close shave followed another. Defender James Chester could have had a brace.

The visitors' wastefulness in front of goal should have been punished with 20 minutes remaining but Ngog missed the target with a header from five yards.

Liverpoolfc.tv man of the match: David Martin

Liverpool team: David Martin, Stephen Darby, Steven Irwin, Daniel Ayala, Chris Mavinga, Victor Palsson, David Ngog (Nikola Saric 77), David Amoo (Emmanuel Mendy 71), Nathan Eccleston, Damien Plessis, Alex Kacaniklic (Jay Spearing 39). Unused subs: Martin Hansen, Christopher Buchtmann.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165808090917-1619.htm

Tried to pull the manc side off their website, but it doesn't list their team (how cr ap) But I managed to use what info there was to find their team

Zieler
Gray
Dudgeon (Gill)
C.Evans
Chester
De Laet
Welbeck
Macheda
King
Eikrem
Tosic (Brady)

Not the greatest selection of names, I've heard of Zieler, Gray, Dudgeon, De Laet, Welbeck, Macheda and Tosic, but two of those through playing 1st team, two from transfer news and two I've only just heard of - Zieler's been there a while, he's on CM06 and CM07 (makes up the seven)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:00 am

redbeergoggles wrote:
Reg wrote:What was the score Bav, any match report?

1-0  to Liverpool, Mavinga in defence and Poulsen in midfield were superb ,and Rafa was at the game so I don't suppose their contribution went unnoticed . 

Ngog got the only goal of the game ,United had Macheda and Tosic playing but Liverpool totally dominated the play until Plessis was subsequently dismissed for a high challenge ,they were forced into playing on the counter attack but Mavinga especially was exceptional in defence ,and that Victor Poulsen kid looks a real find .

its Palsson.

I would add that we stayed the more dominant team for a decent amount of time even after going down to 10 men, but there is no doubt that we were all out defending by the end.

I think Plessis did not deserve a straight red, but I think the match will be a great experience for all the players that played.

Pacheco had a knock btw.
JoeTerp

Postby Tophatman » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:46 am

[Pacheco had a knock btw.

Yes he was sat in front of us in the main stand with his family.
Good game and excellent result,also a very good attendance,which should help Tranmere.
Tophatman

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion