Real confirm gerrard as a target - Bbc sport

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:04 pm

BBC Sport -

Real Madrid's footballing director Benito Floro has confirmed that Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is on their list of transfer targets.

Gerrard, 25, signed a new four-year contract last summer to end speculation linking him with a move to Chelsea.

Real have targeted England midfielder Gerrard and Inter Milan striker Adriano as "priority" signings.

Floro told Spanish radio station Cadena Star: "Gerrard is a player on the list that we wanted to sign previously."

Real are keen to add fresh blood to an ageing squad after enduring a third successive season without a trophy.

Floro added: "I've recommended as priority signings a powerful central striker like Adriano and a top midfielder in case Zinedine Zidane leaves."

France World Cup winner Zidane has a one-year option after this season and will make a decision on a return to the Bernabeu after this summer's World Cup.

Gerrard looked set to join Chelsea last summer but changed his mind at the last moment to sign his new deal at Liverpool.

There has been no suggestion Gerrard is keen to leave Anfield, although a move to Real would enable him to link up with England captain David Beckham and defender Jonathan Woodgate.

Liverpool boss Benitez, previously the coach at Valencia, had been mentioned by Real as a possible contender to take over from current boss Juan Roman Lopez Caro.

Meanwhile, striker Florent Sinama Pongolle is ready to leave Liverpool if boss Benitez adds to his strikeforce this summer.

Pongolle is due to return to Anfield at the end of the season after a loan spell at Blackburn.

The 21-year-old's place in the pecking order has dropped even further following the return of Robbie Fowler on a short-term contract.

He said: "If Benitez signs two new strikers I won't be back, it would be impossible."

Sinama-Pongolle jumped at the chance to join Blackburn on loan because of his growing frustration at his lack of opportunities at Anfield.

He would be just as eager to turn his loan move at Ewood Park into a permanent one.

Sinama-Pongolle added: "I know Blackburn have spoken to my agent about staying, which is good for me.

"But nothing has been decided. I'm still thinking about my future because I know I face an important decision at the end of the season.

"Blackburn have at least given me a chance to play games and the manager speaks to me more.

"I'm 21 and I need to play, I want to play. It's difficult and frustrating when you are sat on the bench."
--------------------------

Lets just hope Gerrard doesn't have the audacity to put us through another rollercoaster of emotions
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:07 pm

:censored: REAL MADRID ,GERRARDS GOING NOWHERE .END OF .

:angry:  Can we move on now .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:09 pm

The summer hasn't even rolled around and despite signing a four year contract, another team is sniffing around Stevie G. Real Madrid have identified him as their priority signing if Zidane leaves (which is more than likely). I'm 98% sure that Gerrard will stay with us, and of course it's just a rumour, but this 5h1t every summer is getting tired. First Chelsea, then Juve and now Madrid, who have screwed us over so many times, are making life difficult. I know it's just a part of football today, but it does drag on a bit. SSN are carrying the story, but I can't see him going really.

Annoying though.
:angry:
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:09 pm

this done already in another thread, so it's another yawn, the point is whether stevie verbally states he wants to leave or not, there's nothing surprising in any club wanting him
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:10 pm

And it seems I was beaten to this topic by 5 minutes, so please ignore this and go to the other thread. May as well wipe this one mods.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:21 pm

I just merged them instead.
jonnymac1979

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:27 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:BBC Sport -

Real Madrid's footballing director Benito Floro has confirmed that Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is on their list of transfer targets.

Gerrard, 25, signed a new four-year contract last summer to end speculation linking him with a move to Chelsea.

Real have targeted England midfielder Gerrard and Inter Milan striker Adriano as "priority" signings.

Floro told Spanish radio station Cadena Star: "Gerrard is a player on the list that we wanted to sign previously."

Real are keen to add fresh blood to an ageing squad after enduring a third successive season without a trophy.

Floro added: "I've recommended as priority signings a powerful central striker like Adriano and a top midfielder in case Zinedine Zidane leaves."

France World Cup winner Zidane has a one-year option after this season and will make a decision on a return to the Bernabeu after this summer's World Cup.

Gerrard looked set to join Chelsea last summer but changed his mind at the last moment to sign his new deal at Liverpool.

There has been no suggestion Gerrard is keen to leave Anfield, although a move to Real would enable him to link up with England captain David Beckham and defender Jonathan Woodgate.

Liverpool boss Benitez, previously the coach at Valencia, had been mentioned by Real as a possible contender to take over from current boss Juan Roman Lopez Caro.

Meanwhile, striker Florent Sinama Pongolle is ready to leave Liverpool if boss Benitez adds to his strikeforce this summer.

Pongolle is due to return to Anfield at the end of the season after a loan spell at Blackburn.

The 21-year-old's place in the pecking order has dropped even further following the return of Robbie Fowler on a short-term contract.

He said: "If Benitez signs two new strikers I won't be back, it would be impossible."

Sinama-Pongolle jumped at the chance to join Blackburn on loan because of his growing frustration at his lack of opportunities at Anfield.

He would be just as eager to turn his loan move at Ewood Park into a permanent one.

Sinama-Pongolle added: "I know Blackburn have spoken to my agent about staying, which is good for me.

"But nothing has been decided. I'm still thinking about my future because I know I face an important decision at the end of the season.

"Blackburn have at least given me a chance to play games and the manager speaks to me more.

"I'm 21 and I need to play, I want to play. It's difficult and frustrating when you are sat on the bench."

Lets just hope Gerrard doesn't have the audacity to put us through another rollercoaster of emotions

Thaks, I'd never have thought of looking on the BBC website.  :idea
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:30 pm

Didnt Rafa say thats their style just telling the media who they want and its best to ignore them so  :sleep
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RichardLFC1 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:32 pm

Hope gerrard clears this up saying he doesnt wanna go to them those :censored: mother fukers

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby redsince2001 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:08 pm

NOT AGAIN! :(
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:13 pm

Not really any news in this one I don't think. Every single team in Europe bar none would kill for Gerrard so Madrid admitting they would be interested is no real scoop for the reporter. If he ever does decide to leave, he will have the pick of the biggest clubs in the World. My suspicion is that he will be staying exactly where he is for the forseeable.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:34 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:BBC Sport -

media person : Oi fella, Liverpool are playing the Chewsea boys this weekend
media person 2 : Yeah, and...
media person : lets see, what can we do to spice it up, yknow unsettle em?
media person2: target Stevie g, hes there top player
media person: Yeah, cant use the chelsea line, its old news, WAIT, I KNOW...................

SIMPLE.AS.THAT.
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:36 pm

I'd be insulted if they didn't want Stevie, especially with their midfield!

No worries, all that transfer business was put to bed last summer and Gerrard's here for the long haul.

Interesting that Madrid aren't making any goo-goo eyes at Fat Frank, though...he is, after all, the runner-up World Footballer of the Year!  :laugh:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:37 pm

woof woof ! wrote: :censored: REAL MADRID ,GERRARDS GOING NOWHERE .END OF .

:angry:  Can we move on now .

yep as woof said, he's going nowhere, so f@ck off madrid. :angry:  :angry:
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:38 pm

fat frank is gonna go barca if anywhere tho.

i dont want stevie to go but this is the first year where id think... 35million? yeah i might take that. if he wants to go he can go but i ope he doesnt and dont think he would
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion