Rafa is a more english coach than spanish coach - Says torres

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:35 pm

I think you must have read that quote from Torres already (I might have missed it because I'm sadly very busy this week). According to Torres Rafa has learned a lot from professionals like Carra and Stevie.

And I wanted to read your opinions about what that sentence implies.

By saying that, Torres is implying that in this years Rafa has changed. Has adapted, he's not Spanish minded, but English minded.

I'll start the discussion saying I agree, I think he has adapted in some extent to the English game. And that's a bit contradictory with the notion that Rafa the Stubborn hardly ever changes.

Why do I agree? because there are signs of it

* No one denies that this year there's less rotation than previous years, regardless we see the dimmer switch from now on.

* Another sign of adaptation is that Rafa has learned to mix the stress on posession, with the Liverpool style. By this I mean that some of our game is genuinely Liverpool's, not Rafas, that is, if Rafa coaches yet another great club, that style won't be a copy of Liverpool.

* Another needed adaptation was his role. In Spain, he couldn't dream of choosing the players for Valencia, Tenerife, and Osasuna. He just could give a couple of names to the board and cross fingers. He has learned a new job that is, different of the one he had in Spain. In this department, he has mixed success and failures, I don't think it's Rafa's forte. Rafa's forte is on the pitch, he'll always be more a great coach than a great manager in my eyes.

* Another sign of adaptation of will to adapt is the men that surround Rafa. Yes, he has brought Pellegrino, but Rafa has Sammy Lee and had men like Miller to help in his job. After the Pako experience, he hasn't build up the team of his own, but picked men that know well the club to help him.

So, the question for debate is:

Do you think like Torres that Rafa has adapted and learned from the Scousers in his reign?

Or do you think that the adaptation is still minimal, and he's very stubborn and hardly has changed from the day he arrived?
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:55 pm

His tactical style is the same as he had when he was at Valencia, so I don't think he changed in that department.

* Another needed adaptation was his role. In Spain, he couldn't dream of choosing the players for Valencia, Tenerife, and Osasuna. He just could give a couple of names to the board and cross fingers. He has learned a new job that is, different of the one he had in Spain. In this department, he has mixed success and failures, I don't think it's Rafa's forte. Rafa's forte is on the pitch, he'll always be more a great coach than a great manager in my eyes.

Agree with that
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:00 pm

i don't know about him being more English minded but yes there does seem to be a change with regards to his thinking which has helped him this season, but every now and again he slips back for example the team he picked for the stoke game that was (well it seems to me anyway) a little slip back and not thinking of the best way to play the game

also the "facts" speech, i don't think he would have done that last year or at any time before now, coming out and saying (ok not directly) you are :censored: off with fergie getting an easy ride because he has won the prem so much and that they love him.

imo i think he believes we are stronger and that he is in a stronger postion to have a words fight with who ever

i think that is a good thing whether the out burst will turn out to be a bad thing that comes back to haunt him will have to be seen but i like the fact he has come out and said what he did that in my mind means he thinks we can win the league so i'm happy with the change he has had this year whether it is that he is being more English or just wising up to the challange we need to take on
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion