Race for Champs league spot

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby only me » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:45 pm

We need put distance between us and the 5th place...United winning is good..They are Shiite and they will lose points in the meantime we gain some buffer from Chelsea which is great.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:24 pm

I preferred a draw but the 4 points gap between us and the 5th placed team is nice as well. It doesn't matter where we'll finish anyway, as long as it's a CL spot.

IMO this is how the table will look like come May as well. City with the title (obviously), the red mancs second, us third and Spurs 4th, with Chelsea and Arsenal in an Europa League spot. I'd love Spurs and Arsenal to finish out of the top 4 since they'll find it a lot harder to come back, unlike Chelsea who will always bounce back regardless of where they finish this season. I can't see Spurs out of the top 4 this season though, it's probably going to be Chelsea.
Last edited by damjan193 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:27 pm

We've made good progress but need to stay strong during the final hurdle. It is so tight that a blip here and there can screw things up.

In GW18

2) Man Utd---41(GD27)
4) Liverpool-34(GD18)

Currently

2) Man Utd---59 (GD33)
3) Liverpool-57 (GD33)

Just 2 points off them and equal on GD compared to mid season we were 7 points off them and 9 goals behind.
We've done really well to catch them up.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:59 pm

damjan193 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:24 pm wrote:I preferred a draw but the 4 points gap between us and the 5th placed team is nice as well. It doesn't matter where we'll finish anyway, as long as it's a CL spot.

IMO this is how the table will look like come May as well. City with the title (obviously), the red mancs second, us third and Spurs 4th, with Chelsea and Arsenal in an Europa League spot. I'd love Spurs and Arsenal to finish out of the top 4 since they'll find it a lot harder to come back, unlike Chelsea who will always bounce back regardless of where they finish this season. I can't see Spurs out of the top 4 this season though, it's probably going to be Chelsea.

There's definately something not right at Chelsea, looking at Conte now it's hard to believe that he's the same manager that was bouncing up and down the touchline last season, he almost looks disinterested these days, like he couldn't care less what's happening out on the pitch.
It's just typical of our luck that last season when we were top of the table pretty much the same group of Chelsea players strung a record breaking 13 wins together, not just an unbeaten run of 13 games but 13 back to back wins (39 points out of a possible 39!)
It could only happen to us that.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:13 pm

Also Costa made a bit difference comapared to Morata who is not cutting it.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:20 pm

redshade » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:13 pm wrote:Also Costa made a bit difference comapared to Morata who is not cutting it.

Yeah I forgot about Costa. Morata was awful today, he allowed himself to be bullied by United's centre halves, he spent more time on his @rse than on his feet.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

Our remaining games, a few banana skins to be taken care of.....

Saturday 3rd March
LFC v's Newcastle United

Tuesday 6th March
Liverpool v's FC Porto

Saturday 10th March
Manchester United v's Liverpool

Saturday 17th March
Liverpool v's Watford

Saturday 31st March
Crystal Palace v's Liverpool

Saturday 7th April
Everton v's Liverpool

Saturday 14th April
Liverpool v's Bournemouth

Saturday 21st April
West Bromwich Albion v's Liverpool

Saturday 28th April
Liverpool v's Stoke City

Saturday 5th May
Chelsea v's Liverpool

Sunday 13th May
Liverpool v's Brighton and Hove Albion
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:33 am

Some tricky fixtures usually fans are worried about the top end teama but we also must remember the bottom teama are in a dog fight to stay up and when it comes to surival those games are very tough.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:39 pm

Even the west Brom away match looks tricky. We really are going to have to earn our top four spot this season and without Coutinho.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:19 pm

In a way, Chelsea losing yesterday is better for us. Gives us a 4 point cushion over them and they still have to play ourselves and spurs (albeit at home) and also City away....I think those 3 games could potentially put enough of a dent in their bid for top 4. They've also got awkward looking derbies v Palace and West Ham, again albeit at home.

They've got City next and if they lose that and we beat Newcastle, it will be a 7 point gap between us and them and I really think we are home and dry in terms of top 4 and it will be all about whether we finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th. If Utd also win in their game v Palace, I think that's 3 of the 4 places tied up with the last place between spurs and chelsea. Spurs run in doesn't look too bad to be honest. Only difficult games look like chelsea away and City at home.

Although saying all the above, you can get some surprising/unexpected results towards the end of a season with teams threatened with relegation turning up and nicking points so its up to us to finish the job, and also manage our CL run. Obviously winning the CL will make all the above moot  :D
Doeboy

Postby Doeboy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:34 pm

Also with regard to our run in, only games that really concern me are ones v Utd, Chelsea and Palace away. I don't know what it is about Palace away, but a combination of them being in a relegation fight, the noise and atmosphere there,  Benteke (has been awful this season but seems to do well against us) and Sakho wanting to prove a point and the likes of Zaha having the ability to cause problems makes that one bit of tricky one for me. It's also a crappy early KO which I don't particularly like.

Other than those games, not really worried about the others.
Doeboy

Postby johnbarnes » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:21 pm

Good news for PL clubs!
Not sure of the new kick off time slots, but that's TV for you...
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/media-w ... -confirmed
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:45 pm

In other news, Arsenal are f**king sh!te  :laugh:

As for that Aubameyang lad, feck me he looks lost and unfit  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:10 am

7_Kewell » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:45 pm wrote:In other news, Arsenal are f**king sh!te  :laugh:

Needless to say Arsenal are out of the top 2 race. 2 games exact same result 3-0 losses to City.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:18 am

7_Kewell » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:45 pm wrote:In other news, Arsenal are f**king sh!te  :laugh:

Their whole f**king team looks lost, unfit or disinterested.

They should have sacked Wenger the turnip 3 seasons ago, but their sh**fulness has actually been a blessing in disguise for us though :)
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion