Pro's and Cons of managers and players - sensible discussion please

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mart » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:19 pm

I see Roy as a stopgap manager that might be replaced once the club is sold. It all depends on who our next owners are, there are no guarantees they will be any better than our current owners.

I'm not so sure our assets will be sold off, but i doubt there will be any investment in the team this year, so our biggest stars wont exactly get what they want. I think Roy might be well suited for the job that is expected of him this year. Maybe our best players will even stay on another year to see what the future brings for the club. Then he might even have a chance of getting us back into the top 4, but I doubt he is the man to bring the club forward.

Whoever our next manager will be isnt all that important, but a steady eddie like Roy is probably a decent enough choice until we get new owners.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby mart » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:20 pm

I see Roy as a stopgap manager that might be replaced once the club is sold. It all depends on who our next owners are, there are no guarantees they will be any better than our current owners.

I'm not so sure our assets will be sold off, but i doubt there will be any investment in the team this year, so our biggest stars wont exactly get what they want. I think Roy might be well suited for the job that is expected of him this year. Maybe our best players will even stay on another year to see what the future brings for the club. Then he might even have a chance of getting us back into the top 4, but I doubt he is the man to bring the club forward.

Whoever our next manager will be isnt all that important, but a steady eddie like Roy is probably a decent enough choice until we get new owners.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:33 pm

mart wrote:I see Roy as a stopgap manager

I see him as more of a supermarket manager myself!  :D
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:36 pm

Owzat wrote:
mart wrote:I see Roy as a stopgap manager

I see him as more of a supermarket manager myself!  :D

Ive seen him working in the cafe in Corrie *runs away*
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby boodiddy1 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:45 pm

When has Hodgson been a yes man. He isnt by far! Just because he's the nice man in football doesnt mean he's  a soft touch. Bob and Joe were nice men. But ruthless when they wanted to.

Roy will be the same. Anyhow, im more than happy to have an English manager in charge of this great club. Maybe, the english kids will get a chance. No more :censored: french or spanish in academies who clearly arent good enough.
boodiddy1

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Have you seen our academy or seen the recent world cup or youth tournaments? We currently have a fair number of very good English and foriegn lads in academy but maybe its time for people to realise that English footballers are not actually that good ! The world cup shows that - the foriegn lads are better .
Benny The Noon

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:12 pm

I'm actually looking forward to see what Roy makes of the reserves and if he gives them a go . Got a feeling he might have to with some .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:15 pm

boodiddy1 wrote:When has Hodgson been a yes man. He isnt by far!

I don't think he is although he has been called it enough times the past few weeks. By 'yes' man I thinks it's more of a case that fans asusme he will come and do the job no matter what the board plan to do where as a bigger name in football seems more likely to hold out and only come under certain conditions (e.g. keeping our best players). It's this fear that they will all leave that has put people off of Hodgson the most I think. I know that is where my biggest reservations lie, I actually think he can come in and do a decent job but it's a question of what will he have to work with.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:19 pm

Scottbot wrote:
boodiddy1 wrote:When has Hodgson been a yes man. He isnt by far!

I don't think he is although he has been called it enough times the past few weeks. By 'yes' man I thinks it's more of a case that fans asusme he will come and do the job no matter what the board plan to do where as a bigger name in football seems more likely to hold out and only come under certain conditions (e.g. keeping our best players). It's this fear that they will all leave that has put people off of Hodgson the most I think. I know that is where my biggest reservations lie, I actually think he can come in and do a decent job but it's a question of what will he have to work with.

Fair comment that Scott , that i the big worry that Purslow and Broughton are just going to trample all over Roy to get what they want . We'll see i suppose.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:I agree with you mate....

Let's look at the potential squad should we lose our 3 big guns.

Reina
Johnson   Carra/Skrtel   Agger/Skrtel   Insua/Agger
                        ?? ?     Lucas
Kuyt/Maxi             Aquilani             Reira
                     Kuyt/Ngog/Nemeth?

Looking at it, we'd be short of 1 holding midifielder and cover just about all over the place.
We'll need cover for Aquilani, Johnson, another centre back, another left/right midfielder.

The question is whether we can get the required coverage for a limited budget that I believe will be available to the new manager.... will be tough methinks....

But the base squad should be good enough to challenge for the same league position that we obtained last year..... and I think Roy can probably extract the best out of these current crop of players.

Challenge for the same postition ?! Surely when you sack a manager you are then looking forward and your next appointment should be a step up and then you should be looking to improve the team - if you just challenge for the same position then why get rid of the old manager in the first place - especially when the previous season was one poor season in 6

I guess I wasn't too clear mate... can get a bit wordy at times.

What I meant to say, to simplify things a bit is this.

1. If we keep the squad that we have, my expectations of Roy or whoever the manager is, is to get us back into the champions league, I believe the squad is good enough if utilized correctly.... and I think Roy, against popular opinion, has it in him to get us there again.

2. If we lose Torres, Gerrard and Mascherano, I think a good result for the new manager is equal or better last season's league position. With a vastly weakened squad, that can only be seen as progress for 2 reasons. First and foremost, the squad quality would be much weaker... and secondly, we would have achieved the same result for much less money.

It's true that when you change the manager, you'd expect better results..... but I fully expect the 2 tw@ts that own us to bleed us of our assets. If the goal posts are moved that far back, then staying stagnant can be deemed to be a good result.
ConnO'var

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Ok conn that's fair enough and good to see that someone will get straight to the point - off course I disagree :D
Benny The Noon

Postby ConnO'var » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:46 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Ok conn that's fair enough and good to see that someone will get straight to the point - off course I disagree :D

No worries mate. :D

Just out of curiosity (I haven't read all the posts in the New manager thread and apologise if you've already stated it there)....

Why do you feel that Roy would not be able to extract better performances out of the squad we had last year? I'm assuming it's predominantly because of his track record?
ConnO'var

Postby ConnO'var » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:53 pm

Paul C wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:I agree with you mate....

Let's look at the potential squad should we lose our 3 big guns.

Reina
Johnson   Carra/Skrtel   Agger/Skrtel   Insua/Agger
                        ?? ?     Lucas
Kuyt/Maxi             Aquilani             Reira
                     Kuyt/Ngog/Nemeth?

Looking at it, we'd be short of 1 holding midifielder and cover just about all over the place.
We'll need cover for Aquilani, Johnson, another centre back, another left/right midfielder.

The question is whether we can get the required coverage for a limited budget that I believe will be available to the new manager.... will be tough methinks....

But the base squad should be good enough to challenge for the same league position that we obtained last year..... and I think Roy can probably extract the best out of these current crop of players.

Reira? I'd have Babel in over him, and you haven't included Dani Pacheco in that side, I honestly hope that lad gets some first team minutes this season under the new manager because he is such a tallent!  :bowdown

With Babel, if we're gonna use him, I'd rather have him upfront than on the wing, Paul. He's just not bright enough to create anything for others and he's too lazy to track back when needed. So in my team, upfront he would go.

With Pacheco, I truly cannot say. I've heard a lot of good things from friends back home but I have zero knowledge of his abilities simply because I'm too far away from home and have no access to reserve games. I hope he is as good as I'm told.
ConnO'var

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:05 pm

ConnO'var wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:Ok conn that's fair enough and good to see that someone will get straight to the point - off course I disagree :D

No worries mate. :D

Just out of curiosity (I haven't read all the posts in the New manager thread and apologise if you've already stated it there)....

Why do you feel that Roy would not be able to extract better performances out of the squad we had last year? I'm assuming it's predominantly because of his track record?

Exactly Conn - his track is not very good reading at a high level
Benny The Noon

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:49 pm

One which excludes the emotional posters  ??? those who are overly passionate and not in any sense well ordered
Segregation is segregation it simply doesn't matter how you dress it up ... I have been on this forum for 6 yrs and I have engaged in serious football debate with the most perceptive and knowledgeable posters  and never have I at any time  felt the hostility and deception that permeates from  every thread

It just goes to show that along with Liverpool Football Clubs  decline ...the fans are also seriously on the wane devoid of humour and passion two things that used to be  synonymous with Liverpool Supporters    ???
If I said I was angry it would be a serious understatement I am fucking fuming with the state our once glorious club is now in, and I thoroughly despair at the clueless fans who now follow it , and if I was to hazard a guess I would also think Purslow and Co are delirious with the fans accepting WOY fucking Hodgson as a suitable candidate for the team we have always regarded as our own and that's what's nagging away at me ...... Is it now only Scousers who want to fight..... has emotion and passion just suddenly become a dirty word ???
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion