Managers - Ex players or not

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby drummerphil » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:03 pm

just a general topic here.What are your opinions on whether an ex  player makes the best manager or the present trend,managers who have never kicked a ball in anger.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:21 pm

and further more,which player coming to an end of his career currently would make a good manager
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:24 pm

There is plenty of evidence to back up either claim.  The most successful managers of the last 50 years in British football never achieved much as players...e.g. Shankley, Paisley (famously dropped for the 1950 F.A. cup final), Stein, Busby, Ferguson (Rangers reject), Revie, Wenger.

Dalglish and Gerorge Graham won titles as players with Liverpool and Arsenal respectively and repeated the feat as managers.  Hoddle brought England to a world cup, David O'Leary seems to be doing o.k. and Gordon Strachan didn't to a bad job at Coventry or Southampton.
However, being a decent player will not guarantee success as a manager.  The majority of Englands world cup winning side had a go and only Jack Charlton was successful.  Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton both did poorly.  Most recently the odds on Bryan Robson becoming a successful manager were high but he needed to get Tery Venables to bail him out at Middlesbrough...not to mention Bradford.  Alan Shearer did (does) the business as a player, he talks a good game on SKY but personally I don't think he'll make it as a manager.....time will tell
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby drummerphil » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:30 pm

totally agree,but their seems to be managers in the game,who have never played at all and having success.Its a bit like the "who is the best ref debate" ex player or not
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stan Laurel » Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:35 pm

Don't forget Brian Clough too, he used to be very good player unfortunately he had to retired at very early age (I think he retired at 27 year old because of injuries problem) he managed Hartlepool at the early age.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:07 pm

I don't think being an ex-player is a pre-requisette to being a good/great manager. I'm sure most managers played football for many years in their youth even if they weren't good enough to make it in any big way. Football is still football whether you play in a World-Cup, Conference or the Sunday League.

Of-course being a big-name ex-player turned manager can be useful in todays game where earning the respect of egotistical who make 10 times more money can be difficult. But even then, the great managers earn respect because they are great and not because they used to play the game.

Remember, our incoming manager had a very undistinguished playing career but has a good managerial record.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:50 pm

brian clough is a really good example
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lord Lucan » Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:00 pm

Id like too see steve mcmahon return to manage liverpool one day. However i think he needs to complete his appreniship with a lower premiership club first, so come on benitez show us what you got!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." Bill Shankly
Lord Lucan

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:34 pm

drummerphil wrote:totally agree,but their seems to be managers in the game,who have never played at all and having success.Its a bit like the "who is the best ref debate" ex player or not

Who are you refering to here Phil, I cant think of one manager who did not play football at some level, Houllier and Wenger did, and even Sven has played competitive footy.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:59 pm

i might be wrong but i,m sure José Mourinho was a school teacher and then an interpreter
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:13 pm

I didn't know Houllier and Wenger played football, surely not for a known club though?
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:29 pm

dont think they were,but mouriniho.? ???
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:50 pm

am i right about mouriniho
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby blind » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:26 pm

lots of ex players make good managers but only a few will make it to  thetop Mark Wright is doing a fantastic job for us at chester and i think in a year or two he will move on to a bigger club but while we have him he will help us to climb out of the third as we have the conferance.
http://www.footballbadgers.com

My eyes are blind but I can see, The snowflakes glisten on the tree(s) The sun no longer sets me free I feel the snowflakes freezing me.

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:31 pm

I think Alan hansen would make a good manager but lifes too cushy at the BBC :;):
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion