Preston North End v. Liverpool FC - FA Cup - Sat. Jan. 3rd

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ste123lfc » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:33 pm

Just up the road from me too Judge, I'll be in the Preston end with a few of my Nob End mates. They are convinced that if Rafa doesn't play a full strength team they will turn us over!! And if we do, they will get a draw and take us back to Anfield. Very optimistic me thinks.
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:49 pm

The two occaisions we exited the FA Cup at the third round under Rafa were 2004/5 and 2006/7 - anyone care to "guess" what happened both those seasons?

FA Cup under Rafa

2004/5 Lost to Burnley (R3)
2005/6 Won FA Cup on penalties vs West Ham (Final)
2006/7 Lost to Arsenal (R3)
2007/8 Lost to Barnsley (R5)

Bit of Traore magic against Burnley. We seem to fare better against the Premiership sides, beating Birmingham, Man Utd, Chelsea, Pompey and West Ham (on penalties) on the way to the FA Cup win in 2005/6. Our only other FA Cup wins coming against Luton (twice) and Havant & W under Rafa. Definitely not keen on playing Championship sides.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:47 pm

ste123lfc wrote:Just up the road from me too Judge, I'll be in the Preston end with a few of my Nob End mates. They are convinced that if Rafa doesn't play a full strength team they will turn us over!! And if we do, they will get a draw and take us back to Anfield. Very optimistic me thinks.

i dont live too far from the pig and whistle mate

where you?
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:14 pm

----------------------Diego
Darby/Degen--Skertel--Kelly/Hyypia--Insua
Pennant/Babel--Mash--Lucas/Plessis--Dossena
-------------El Zhar--Ngog/Torres

give Torres a run out towards the end to get some fitness. i wanted to put Insua in the left wing but seeing Dossena is a worse off leftback, i switched. some have been having the Italian is good at attacking and crossing so lets see what he has. Pennant, probably wont play just wishful thinking on my part. Degen could also fill in the right wing spot if Babel plays up front.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:41 pm

There are 5 days recovery time between the Newcastle game and the Preston game and then 6 recovery days between the Preston game and the Stoke game. Do we really need to go crazy with resting players?

It’s a good opportunity to continue with players such as Insua, Lucus and Benayoun who have started to play well and mix them with some match winners and the better youngsters.

We should send out a team to win first time round considering how well spaced out our fixture list is over the coming month.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:52 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:There are 5 days recovery time between the Newcastle game and the Preston game and then 6 recovery days between the Preston game and the Stoke game. Do we really need to go crazy with resting players?

It’s a good opportunity to continue with players such as Insua, Lucus and Benayoun who have started to play well and mix them with some match winners and the better youngsters.

We should send out a team to win first time round considering how well spaced out our fixture list is over the coming month.

It's a good point. I'd be careful with Torres if necessary for precaution, but I wouldn't have Riera for instance 6+5=11 days without a game.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:17 pm

Owzat wrote:
s@int wrote:I think Rafa has decided fk the League lets try for the cup. :D

I would play a mix of squad players, players returning to fitness and a couple of reserves....... AND KEANE. Always dodgy cup games but I think we should win this one comfortably enough.

I said in another thread that related to the up and coming FA Cup match and league games, that I'd rest Gerrard, Reina, Carra, Kuyt and Riera. I'd rest others as well, maybe put them on the bench, but I'd not field a Joe Terp XI since we need our squad players to find form not our kids get hammered.

That said we must win or lose, no draws. Any chance of a draw with ten minutes remaining and we must play a game of 30 yard back passes, goalie must try and stop it with his head.

agree about the no draws and I was taking the p.iss a bit with that team as I was trying to name as many scousers as possible, and if that didn't work than at least an all English XI, you know, ppl who would care more and know more about the history of the FA Cup

people that I would actually want to play: Cavalieri, Skrtel, Hyypia, Spearing, Darby (more likely Degen if fit), Kelly, Lucas, Pacheco (more likely will be N'Gog), Nemeth (more likely to be Babel)

then its hard for me to tell who are the disgruntled fringe players that we need to give a game and who are the fringe players that we are going to offload and don't want to risk injury towards
JoeTerp

Postby Judge » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:30 pm

Sabre wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote:There are 5 days recovery time between the Newcastle game and the Preston game and then 6 recovery days between the Preston game and the Stoke game. Do we really need to go crazy with resting players?

It's a good point. I'd be careful with Torres if necessary for precaution, but I wouldn't have Riera for instance 6+5=11 days without a game.

you cant keep being careful with torres all the time sabre, as if we had a policy of that, then no one would get a game, in the fear of an injury !!

however, it seems keane is immune from getting a regular game
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:17 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:Second stringers only.

Agreed
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:55 pm

would mind seeing Daniel Pacheco given a game. Maybe after another season. lad still young, decent potential
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Agger's Sleeve » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:16 pm

Dundalk wrote:
The Manhattan Project wrote:Second stringers only.

Agreed

why? this isn't just the league cup, its the F.A Cup, one of the greatest cups to win.

as someone said earlier, there is more than enough resting time between the preston and stoke game so why just play 2nd stringers?

i'd put out a mix of first and second...

...................................cavalieri
arbeloa(if fit?).......hyypia.............agger..........insua
el zhar..................lucas.............alonso..........riera
.........................keane..............ngog
Agger's Sleeve

Postby ste123lfc » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:09 pm

Judge wrote:
ste123lfc wrote:Just up the road from me too Judge, I'll be in the Preston end with a few of my Nob End mates. They are convinced that if Rafa doesn't play a full strength team they will turn us over!! And if we do, they will get a draw and take us back to Anfield. Very optimistic me thinks.

where you?

I think i'll have to throw my stone a bit harder than you. I live in Tarleton, about 8 miles away. I know where the pig is though.
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:00 pm

Sabre wrote:

I guess it depends how close he is to full fitness.  If he's near 100% I would definitely play him so he can start regaining his match fitness and start shaking off any rustiness.  We'd be much better served giving him a half hour on Sunday rather than have him going into the Stoke match cold, IMO.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Judge » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:55 am

ste123lfc wrote:
Judge wrote:

where you?

I think i'll have to throw my stone a bit harder than you. I live in Tarleton, about 8 miles away. I know where the pig is though.

and i know where tarleton is  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:12 am

mixture of first and second string for me, win this first time round, don't want a packed fixture list
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion