Mellor signs for preston

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Preston have signed Liverpool striker Neil Mellor.

Mellor has signed a three-year deal at Deepdale after agreeing personal terms and passing a medical.

The 23-year-old found himself well down the pecking order at Anfield following the arrivals of Craig Bellamy and Dirk Kuyt this summer.

Preston boss Paul Simpson was delighted to land the talented forward.

"Neil is a goalscorer and hopefully that will continue to be the case for us," Simpson told the club's official website.

"He is a tremendous signing for the club.

"We accept that he has had his injury problems but we are happy that he is over those and it's just a case now of building up his fitness levels."

Mellor's signing is sure to fuel speculation that David Nugent could be on his way out of the club.

Middlesbrough are understood to have had one bid rejected by Preston for the England Under-21 international.

The Teesside outfit are keen to land the former Bury hit-man and could be ready to offer Malcolm Christie in part-exchange in a bid to land Nugent.

---------------------

Good luck to Neil. He helped us out loads during 2005. He will go down in history for his part in the Olympiakos game. I will always remember his last minute wonder strike against Arsenal. He was never LFC standard but will be remembered. Injuries took their toll and he's gone. He will do well at Preston and I hope we see Neil at anfield playing for Preston in the premiership very soon.

Thanks Neil

YNWA  :buttrock
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:32 pm

It's good to see Mellor getting a chance to play regular first team football, which he was neevr going to get here. Thanks a lot Neil and good luck at Preston.
48-1119859832

Postby ConnO'var » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:33 pm

Good luck Neil and thanks for everything.....

Will always remember the winner agaist the Gooners... :D
ConnO'var

Postby GOAT » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:37 pm

Good luck neil, ya did ok, i will never forget that wonder goal against arsenal in the last kick of the game or the goal you scored to help us on the way to that amazing comeback vs olympiakos
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby redmikey » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:40 pm

nice one neil .... what a goal against the gooners

a shame he got left of the champ tour bus as he played his part, great chance now to get regular games and i hope he has better luck with injuries
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby matrix » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:52 pm

all the best neil...you did well,  verry unlucky with injurys mate... all the best at preston

cheers for all you gave to liverpool...  :;):

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby davo_LFC » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:59 pm

good luck to the lad, as people have said he'll be remembered for the olympiakos and arsenal moments but during that injury crisis in 2005 he was brilliant, scored quite a few and i reckon he will be a top player for preston, he is a natural goalscorer and i hope he does well for them.

thanks for the memories mellor
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby Rafa D » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:19 pm

My Neil Mellor Memory

I actually missed his goal against Arsenal, we were the late game on Sunday afternoon and Everton had been the 1.00pm kick off. I was sitting in a boozer by our warching the game, and we went 1-0 due to Xabi Alonso. Then PV scored and about 8 Evertonians jumped up , they had obviously been there to watch there $*i*e play but had kept quiet all game. Me and Lads were all very drunk and words were exchanged. The next thing one of our lads and one of there lads are heading outside, so we all went out .

Originally meant to be a 1 one 1 but once our lad got on top, it went to a free for all. I was quite lucky I kept roaming round picking people off, but it was good ruck. We done them, but we had 2 more numbers, so it was expected, I remember being on top of some lad ans hearing we've scored!!!  I ran inside with about 4 other lads and since the replay!! LOL

Brilliant day that
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:24 pm

cheers for the memories neil  :buttrock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....search=

:D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Red Hot Mama » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:30 pm

I live in Chorley and my husband and 2 sons support North End.  I have always had a bit of a soft spot for them.  It just means I will have to go and watch them a bit more now.

Sorry to see Neil go I like him as a player but if he had to go I'm glad he's gone to Preston.
Red Hot Mama

Postby Lee2k6 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:33 pm

looks like pongolles gone too, just saw that on sky sports news.. dunno whether thats just in or old news.
Lee2k6

Postby NiftyNeil » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:34 pm

I hope the lad does well for Preston.
I'm suprised that a Prem club has not tried to sign him. He's gonna score goals wherever he is, I just hope his injuries are behind him.

Good luck NiftyNeil II :D

YNWA
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:47 pm

My memories of THAT goal.  Sitting in a pub filled with Arsenal supporters who were the cockiest b.astards you'd want to meet.  They laughed Xabi's goal off as flukey and when Vieira scored, they were over the moon: "So easy" they kept yelling.  As the clock ticked down they were getting quite :censored: off as it looked like ending as a draw, not the 3 points they no doubt expected to stroll out of Anfield with.  Then, out of nowhere, up pops Mellor with that rasping strike and the place goes deathly quiet...all except my table, of course, where me and the lads are going berzerk.  By the time we'd settled down, them ex-pat cockneys had all downed their pints and slunk out the side door rather than face the music!  :D

Good luck, Neil lad, and thanks for that and other great memories!
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby jkop » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:02 pm

Good luck Neil, hope everything goes well at Preston.  :D
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:59 pm

I liked the lad just because I like the lads that come from the youth system.

But, FFS, I don't remember if it was Peewee or Dawson that I had a sound discussion last season wether he was better than Morientes or not (I remember bigmick enjoying it)  :D I hope that the Valencia - Preston difference makes the things clear once and for all.  :rasp

My best wishes for him.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion