Plea to rafa benitez... - Robbie fowler...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:41 am

Sorry for another Fowler thread but its required.

Think of the effect on the fans...

Watch what he used to do for Liverpool...

Watch what he's doing for Man City and note the similarities of then and Now aswell as the differences...

Note the teams style of play (Liverpools old one, Man City's and ours)...

Note the quality we could have to supply him with...

Note his intelligence and ability to link up with others...

Also think of the effect on team Morale...

Theres also the amount of money he'd cost...

The answer to our striking crisis... YES DEFINATELY... would he come? YES DEFINATELY would he give his all for this club... i think so somehow.

Last chance saloon to achieve true greatness at the club which made him and which still loves him.

Please!!
115-1073096938

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:09 am

I've typed myself hoarse (not sure how, but I have) banging the drum for Fowler. Like I've said before, word has come out of Man City that LFC have made discreet enquiries for him, so fingers crossed.

While I don't think he'll be the out-and-out goal machine he once was, he's certainly more than capable of chipping in with a decent total, and making up for those he's not scoring by providing assists aplenty. It does infuriate me when people go on about him being shot as a player - it's absolute balls. Anyone that saw him against Chelsea last season, and against Portsmouth at the weekend can see that he still got pretty much everything that he's always had, but - like Stu says - he's out of favour in an average team.

And as for the reaction the fans would give him... that'd be worth £30k a week alone.

I want to see f*cking banners at home matches between now and January.

BRING ROBBIE HOME!
ivor_the_injun

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:11 am

BRING IT ON, BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jonnymac1979

Postby L-type » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:15 am

Sounds exciting to say the very least
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whelston23 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:42 am

i dun think robbie will want to come back.. unless he is confirm of a regular place... but will he get one ? morenties or robbie... who will u want? how long do u think we will sign him ofr.. if for a short term, i dun think a player like him wants that..
whelston23

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:49 am

We'll almost certainly sign two strikers during the January window. So I'll have Morientes AND Fowler, ta very much.
ivor_the_injun

Postby A.B. » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:51 am

Well said and all but Rafa propably doesn't view these forums.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:08 am

A.B. wrote:Well said and all but Rafa propably doesn't view these forums.

He normally attends games though. Hence my banner suggestion.

Anyone up for it?
ivor_the_injun

Postby andy_g » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:20 am

i think a key to fowler being successful again here is to watch what happens with kewell. apparently benitez has him on a special training scheme to get leaner, fitter and more confident. if kewell gets up to his best again through this kind of work then i think the same good be done for fowler. because that is what would need to be done.

overall though i'm still not convinced it would be right to bring him back.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DAV » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:32 am

lets be honest he must be worth the gamble
won't repeat but everything STU said
and he won't cost a deal
So bring our boy home
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthernScouser » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:24 am

I've said the same as you guys before
The effect on Morale, the fans etc etc
Even if he was on the bench first half & then started warming up - imagine what the crowd would be like
There would be proper singing at Anfield again (don't get me wrong - I know cause I've been a few times this season - that everyone tries their best to get behind the team - but it's almost like - there's a nervous tension around the place at present)
Fowler would be massive in bringing a subtle change - and you can't put a price on atmosphere !!!!
I disagree with only one thing someone has said - Fowler wouldn't come unless he was a regular !
I think if Liverpool opened their arms up - the Prodigal Son would return under any terms - he know's he's older - plus - not only would he jump at the chance to return to the club that made him a true legend - but what price can you put on a team giving him potential Champions League footy again - he's not gonna get it with City
He must be like us - it must be killing him to see us stuttering up front at the mo
Remember the goal he scored against us - he looked almost shattered - like "this wasn't supposed to happen - this wasn't the script"
But that's football !!!
THERE ARE TOO MANY POSITIVES FOR THIS TO BE IGNORED AS A SERIOUS VIABLE OPTION
SouthernScouser

Postby who the hell is diarra » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:00 am

How about the BIG negatives Robbie's  lack of form for 5 SEASONS Robbie getting overtaken by a lame tortiose in a 50 yard dash Robbie's two knackered knees his less than trim figure his fitness problems . Don't get me wrong Robbie is god and we will always love him but i have major reservations about takin him back , he was a faded talent when we left us and he has only continued to fade badly since . :(
Always Look on the bright side of life
der der ........der der der der der

Drummerphil You'll never walk alone
who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:05 am

After reading this I think we better leave Fowler where he is and stick by the good memories. :(

Ross Armstrong

At a time when strikers are very much a popular subject at Anfield, it’s worth reflecting that, eleven years ago this month, a bright young teenage hotshot was consolidating his place in the Liverpool starting XI. By this stage, he’d played only a handful of games, but he already had a Premiership hat-trick and a five goal blast in the League Cup against Fulham to his name.

This young lad would get to 100 goals for Liverpool quicker even than the greatest of them all, Ian Rush. He would go on to score 174 goals for the club in just over 300 games, including vital goals in Cup finals and crucial league games. He thoroughly deserved his well-known nickname at Anfield, although many questioned whether God had quite the same eye for goal that he did. Of course, you know by now, that young lad was Robbie Fowler.

At his peak, Robbie Fowler was – pretty much universally – recognised as someone who would go on to be the best English goalscorer since Jimmy Greaves. As a striker, Robbie was a better out-and-out goalscorer than Alan Shearer, more clinical than Ian Wright, more prolific than Les Ferdinand, more of an all-rounder than Andy Cole and he possessed natural ability that Michael Owen can only have dreamed of. Because of everything that has followed, it is easy to forget that, next to his peers, Robbie Fowler was a magnificent, once in a generation talent that people would have paid the admission to see.

Yet, of all of these strikers, his peers, Fowler is the man that will ultimately go down as having achieved least. He will go down as the one who desperately missed the chances to deliver on his potential, and the one who faded away when it mattered most.

The tragedy of Fowler’s demise is that it seems so hard to explain. Why has the man who looked as if he had everything and looked as if he would go on to be a global household name, become a footballer criticised by Kevin Keegan of all people, for his weight of all things?

Injuries have played their part – Fowler has had some bad ones, and his body does still bear the strain that they’ve caused. Moreover, his injuries coincided with the seemingly unstoppable rise of the relentlessly professional Michael Owen. Rightly or wrongly, Fowler’s approach to the game can’t have contrasted well, especially in terms of Houllier’s vision for Liverpool, with Owen’s constant dedication and squeaky-clean style. If the critics were right and Owen and Fowler couldn’t play together, then Houllier was always going to go with the ruthless persistence of Owen over the frustrating genius – and we are talking about genius – of Fowler.

Yet not even this would explain why, on leaving Houllier’s Liverpool, Fowler has failed to inspire any of the increasingly needy Leeds or Manchester City teams he has played in. If it were injuries, if it were a conflict with Houllier and his style of play, then why hasn’t he produced the goods elsewhere, without these hindrances?

The unfortunate but unavoidable question that one should also ask is what would Michael Owen have achieved had he been blessed with half of Fowler’s ability? How is Michael Owen currently adjusting to life at a new club?

In spite of all the injuries, the bad circumstances and whatever else one might mention, the only logical conclusion that remains is that Robbie Fowler, once rightly heralded as a once in a lifetime talent, once talked up as a potential record breaker for club and country, failed. He failed to deliver, failed to find the extra 10% that separates the good from the great and the extra 10% that transforms potential into legend. And, whilst there will always be something tragic about the fact that Robbie Fowler has failed, he can blame only himself.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:25 am

well chosen article CGGY. says it all really. there was an unfortunate bit of timing when the temperament of the rising micky owen was preferred to the erratic genius of fowler. and its true that where many players would have gone that extra 10% to make sure he stayed the best, robbie just didn't do it.

and if he didn't do it then he won't do it now.

there would be no words to describe my ecstasy seeing robbie back in the liverpool shirt making defenders look stupid and scoring goals like it was the easiest thing in the world.

but - it  - is - not - going - to - happen.

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:27 am

hey wow! i'm not a newbie anymore!!!!!

thats cool. and two pips!

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next