Robbie fowler and new contract

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:02 am

I'm on the fence with this one I can see what Rafa Dodd is saying about having no room for sentiments and his wages could be spent elsewhere. Also Robbie obviously doesnt feature to heavily in Rafa's plans, which for me is a bit weird at times. He signed him on a year contract after impressing in a few games last year. Then he's hardly been used, I dont see the point TBH. Rafa's obviously got him in as a squad player but I'll reiterate he's STILL the best finisher we have at the club. Rafa prefers a work ethic from his players, Kuyt and Bellamy the perfect example even if they dont bang in shed loads of goals.

But then again I see Ace Venturas side about keeping him if for nothing else, dressing room spirit. By the time I've written this I've changed fence :D . Lets face Rafa is rarely going to give him the chance to play, he isnt as quick as he was or as fit and as much as I love him 25,000 grand a week for a fourth or fith choice striker just doesnt make sense to me sadly :(  So logic would tell me its time for him to move on, but I'd be happy if he did get a contract renewed if that makes sense.
66-1112520797

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:44 am

I can't see Robbie getting another contract myself . Like most on here i'd love him to still be here next season.

I'm pretty happy with who we've got at the minute , but we all know we need a striker who will be prolific in front of goal. Now only going on the evidence of this season , Robbie can still score goals , but he's hasn't been played enough to see if he can do it over a full season.
That's obviously down to rafa's selection policy , and by all accounts rafa will be looking to sign one if not two new strikers next season .Which means ultimatley that Robbie will not be in rafa's plans for next season.

I think a good guide will be to see how many games Robbie gets between now and the end of the season. If he gets a good amount of starts there might be hope for him yet, but if it continues like it has so far this season ,i don't think he'll get a new contract. I know for a fact that Robbie wouldn't want a new contract for the sentiment anyway.
Last edited by Igor Zidane on Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 65-1173565005 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:50 am

WHO ATE ALL THE PIES? FOWLER DID, THE FAT :censored:!
65-1173565005

Postby orlandored » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:08 am

Amiga wrote:WHO ATE ALL THE PIES? FOWLER DID, THE FAT :censored:!

amiga woke around 9am.  it had been a rough night.  he'd been up late posting messages to his old friends, friends who now had deserted him.  this played heavily on amiga's mind.  he was full of anger at the world.  thinking this, he quickly pulled the piiss-soaked blanket from his smelly body and dragged himself to his pc to begin another soul-destroying day chained to his pc.

"would you like some breakfast son?"

"no thanks mummy."

amiga had an appetite only for making a complete twaat of himself.
orlandored

Postby Ace Ventura » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:25 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:We probably do Ace and thats not because I am not a fan of Robbie but I feel the strikers we have got in our squad all bring more to the team than Robbie does, on the field.

I love him, if you look a few pages back you will see my post and how much Fowler means to me, but I feel that in todays football and with the style that Rafa has the team playing, Robbie just won't cut it. Bellamy is faster, Crouch is better at holding the ball up and Kuyt is better at most things. Kuyt and Crouch are great team players for me. They bring others into the game and are willing to help out with the nitty gritty. I don't feel Robbie has what it takes to be in our first eleven - however much it pains me to say it.

He is still an instinctive finisher, the best in the league probably if you put him one on one with the keeper, but todays game demands so much more. Look at the atheletes like Kuyt, Henry, Lampard, Gerrard. Robbie is a different generation of footballer, the work hard, party harder generation and the years have taken their toll on God. I still truly believe that if Robbie would of stayed clear of injuries and been a bit more professional he would of been the best striker this country had ever produced. He would of outscored Mr Shearer and to be honest its a crying shame he never had the chances with England. Robbie is the best striker I have ever seen. I will miss him when he is gone, but its time to move on. We need a clean split.

Mate i did read your first post in this thread which was a cracker and brought back alot of great memories.

I do see what you are saying about what Rafa expects of his strikers but i think there is more to it than that.
AT THIS MOMENT the decision not to play Fowler more is mistifying, we are dominating games and missing shedloads of chances, now even if Rafa thinks that Robbie is not up to starting most games surely he would be a very useful sub ?
Crouch having this operation should give Robbie some more playing time and i guarantee that he will score goals.

If the boss can bring in a top hit striker in the summer like Villa or Eto'o then fair enough about not extending Robbies contract but if he cant then i see no reason why the lad cant play on.
I know 25,000 a week might seem like alot of money for a striker that hardly plays but i bet there are alot more players in the squad picking up similar wages that also dont feature very often.
Zenden is one name that springs to mind.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:41 pm

Whether we think that Fowler can still score goals in this team is irrelevant imo on the subject of a new contract.  The facts are that he's 4th choice striker this year, Voronin's coming in the summer and he's only started about 7 games or something this season, mostly in cup games or against lesser opposition.

Benitez clearly thinks both Bellamy and Crouch bring more to the team than Fowler right now and yet I don't think Bellamy or Crouch's futures are secure at LFC at this point in time.  I think Voronin's coming to be the 4th striker with Fowler's contract not being renewed and I reckon either Bellamy or Crouch will be sold on to make way for a big money signing to come in as the number 1 striker.  Of our current strikers I think only Kuyt's guaranteed to be here next season.  It'll be an interesting summer.

It'll be sad to see Fowler leave when he eventually does, but he'll leave as a club legend and we'll all be telling stories about him for years to come.  Top player.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:42 pm

Lets see where we are at the end of the season mate. As you said he should at least get more playing time now Crouchie is out for a while. At least on the bench more often.

I would love to see him back like at the arse end of last season, where he was banging them in, but I don't know if he could now. Here's hoping.....

On the subject of wages, Houllier was a nutter, Dudek is on £50,000 a week now, Diao was on £30,000, Kewell £65,000.

£25,000 not much in those terms but its still money that could be put back into the club.

We will see soon enough mate and I hope to god you are right!
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:44 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:We will see soon enough mate and I hope to god you are right!

I hope for GOD i am right as well mate  :)

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:48 pm

Yeah, Rafa's benches are starting to bug me a little, it has to be said.

Against Newcastle, for example, we had Zenden starting, and a bench of Dudek, Hyypia, Crouch, Arbeloa and Guthrie.

If Kuyt or Crouch starts alongside Bellamy, for my money you don't need the other one of the two on the bench. I can see the logic of having Bellamy on the bench if you start with both of them, but you do have to wonder exactly what Robbie has to do in order to get on the bench.

I know that Rafa is after all-round contribution, but still...

Kuyt 37 appearances, 10 goals
Crouch 38 appearances, 13 goals
Bellamy 34 appearances, 9 goals
Fowler 17 appearances, 7 goals

Let's not forget that many of Fowler's appearances were 2 minute sub appearances to wind down time as well. He's only actually started 7 times.

If the next couple of months really are Robbie's swansong, I'd like Rafa to actually give him a chance to show what he can do before his time is up. I'd hate the season to end and still feel like I do now - that Robbie Fowler is a resource Rafa should be using but isn't.
ivor_the_injun

Postby RedBlood » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:10 pm

Amiga wrote:He's fat and gay, f.uck him, what's he ever done?

did i miss something this is a thread about robbie fowler not your dad??
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion