Gerrard agrees new contract

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:27 am

Liverpool Football Club today confirmed Steven Gerrard has agreed a two-year extension to his current contract.
The Liverpool skipper, who has two years to run on his current deal, will soon put pen to paper on a new agreement which will keep him at Anfield until at least 2013.

With manager Rafa Benitez and key members of his backroom team signing new contracts over the past two weeks, Gerrard's deal is another timely boost as the Reds look to end the season on a high.

Speaking exclusively to Liverpoolfc.tv this morning, Benitez said: "This is fantastic news for the club.

"Steven has once again shown his commitment and it was an easy deal to agree. As soon as we offered him the option he said yes. There were no problems at all. He wants to stay for life.

"This deal sends out another clear message that we are moving forward as a club. To know we have a player of Steven's quality with us for many more years is a great boost for the club and the fans.

"He is clearly a player who inspires those around him and even though he is playing very well at the moment, I still think his best years are ahead of him."
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:30 am

Great news.  :buttrock

I don't know the wages of Gerrard until now, but it makes sense that if the player has evolved and is being mentioned as one of the best if not the best of the World, his wages are adjusted accordingly.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:33 am

He must be on 100k or more. Now we just need to get Torres and Xabi signed up to new contracts too.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:34 am

btw he is also due in court today.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:35 am

This is obviously great news, not only because our best player has signed a contract extension.
But also the message it sends out to potential new signings etc.

It shows the club is moving in the right direction.

I am still confused though regarding where the money is coming from as i thought the owners were struggling to even meet the loan repayments and now Rafa, the back room staff and Stevie have all been given new contracts ?

Great news as i say but surely there is some news to come regarding investment etc ?

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:40 am

They have obviously got it sorted out we just do not know about it. Rafa the other day said he was considering his future but he seeked assurances over the clubs owners and their future at the club. So I take from that they have more money sorted either via investment or otherwise. Anyway this is great news. You can tell Rafa is not mucking about now, getting the current players signed up soon before the summer thus halting any chance of silly rumors surfacing.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:42 am

Ace Ventura wrote:I am still confused though regarding where the money is coming from as i thought the owners were struggling to even meet the loan repayments and now Rafa, the back room staff and Stevie have all been given new contracts ?

maybe there is something they are not telling us...those nasty little hobbits!  :angry:   :D

but its good news to have our key player tied up. now for Agger and Arbeloa to follow suit.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:49 am

bavlondon wrote:They have obviously got it sorted out we just do not know about it. Rafa the other day said he was considering his future but he seeked assurances over the clubs owners and their future at the club. So I take from that they have more money sorted either via investment or otherwise. Anyway this is great news. You can tell Rafa is not mucking about now, getting the current players signed up soon before the summer thus halting any chance of silly rumors surfacing.

Yeah they obviously have, i am just wondering how.

Is it some form of investment from outside or has one of the owners sold some of their stake ?

Be interesting to find out.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:49 am

Great news :)

''I LOVE YOU STEVIE!" :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:51 am

Ace Ventura wrote:
bavlondon wrote:They have obviously got it sorted out we just do not know about it. Rafa the other day said he was considering his future but he seeked assurances over the clubs owners and their future at the club. So I take from that they have more money sorted either via investment or otherwise. Anyway this is great news. You can tell Rafa is not mucking about now, getting the current players signed up soon before the summer thus halting any chance of silly rumors surfacing.

Yeah they obviously have, i am just wondering how.

Is it some form of investment from outside or has one of the owners sold some of their stake ?

Be interesting to find out.

They have either brought in someone else, or have guaranteed a loan elsewhere (BOA?) or have raised money by selling other assets. Or a combination of the above.

Whatever it is we should know before the summer as the loan is due then. Infact I think we should know around 6 weeks before the loan due date.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:53 am

yeah it seems Rafa has loads more control now and is doing things the right way around.

nice one Rafa, nice one stevie - c'mon redmen!
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:56 am

Though not really surprising given his recent comments about the club this is indeed great news, and hopefully it will make more players follow suit.
JamCar05

Postby tubby » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:00 am

Rafas reaction coming up in a mo on SSN...

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:01 am

Rafa saying..

"He wants to stay for life".

Excellent news.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:57 am

It would be interesting to see where all the money is coming from for all the new contracts that are getting done.Maybe the Americans want them to be done as potential buyers would have a higher price to pay with our main assets tied down to long term contracts and this obviously makes buying the club more attractive.

Nether the less it's a clever move to get them done now and one of the main reasons Benitez didn't like the way Rick Parry ran them
roberto green

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion