1st eleven or rotation - What do you think - and why?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Raoul » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:37 pm

I've noticed a few comments about Rafa's rotation policy having a negative impact on the team, but no real debate about the pros and cons of rotation versus a stable first eleven.

What do you all think?

My experience has always been that a defensive unit plays better when it is stable (which Rafa has basically been doing), but that linking from defense to the midfield isn't really affected by have different players there.

Further up the field there are times when passes go astray and it just looks like people don't understand each other's style, runs, etc.

Obviously, no-one can play every game, but I tend to feel that a little more stability wouldn't hurt.

So, am I wrong or right?  And why?
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:40 pm

Sorry, just saw this debate has already been started just down below.  Mods, why don't you just delete this.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Irish LFC fan » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:45 pm

Personally I feel that the vast, vast majority of players are coached in a basic 4-4-2 formation from the age of 6 onwards so when they turn professional I think it is difficult to suddenly be expected to play any other way.

On the Continent it is slightly different because they are coached 'total football' from an early age...any player can cover in any position if needed.

But at the end of the day there are 11 players against 11 players and i think that heart and belief has a lot to do with it, regardless of formation.  What's the old saying:

"99% perspiration, 1% formation"

something like that anyway  :D
Irish LFC fan

Postby JBG » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:19 pm

My view is that Rafa should drop the rotation policy, for the time being at least.

When the team is struggling, you should play your best 11, week in, week out, until the results start coming. Once you are on a roll and there is momentum you can rotate a few players, as Man UTD showed in 1999.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Paul C » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:25 pm

I'd play my 11 most inform players!! :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:40 pm

can you name our best 11 ? I really dont think that Rafa knows! What is his best 2 up front, who is best on the right, who should be at left and right back.
The players need a bit of stability..
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby FrankM » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:56 pm

Paul C wrote:I'd play my 11 most inform players!! :;):

Sorry for delay in replying but I've been trying to think of 11 inform players.

Reina
Finnan
Carra
Sami
Warnock
Stevie
Xabi
Cisse
Erm
FrankM

Postby Dundalk » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:00 pm

FrankM wrote:
Paul C wrote:I'd play my 11 most inform players!! :;):

Sorry for delay in replying but I've been trying to think of 11 inform players.

Reina
Finnan
Carra
Sami
Warnock
Stevie
Xabi
Cisse
Erm

9 players if you include erm and he is probably most likely to score at the moment  :nod
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion