Next seasons centre back partnership

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:47 pm

We go one of two ways, either sign a top notch CB to play ahead of Skrtel and Agger, or go for a young CB who can come in but is young enough that he's more for the future. So that in my book rules Distin right out.

As for corners, it isn't so much about height as MARKING. Players like Cahill and Owen can score headers, you don't have to be taller than opponents to beat them in the air. In fact for his height Crouch is arguably the worst header per inch height in the Premiership.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:26 pm

You have to consider aswell our centre backs are going to be even busier this season because it looks like they'll only have one genuine holding midfielder infront of them. Both Aquilani and to a lesser extent Lucas do most of their work further up the pitch.
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Highland Red » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:38 pm

heimdall wrote:I can't really see what is wrong with Carragher, Skyrtel and Agger, what is the problem?

My sentiments exactly.

Plus, i've just got my hands on my new Carragher home top, so any talk of ousting Mr. Liverpool can cease forthwith...

:bowdown
Highland Red

Postby aCe' » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:57 pm

Benitez ponders offer for Turner

Turner joined Hull from Brentford in July 2006 for just £350,000

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has hinted that he is interested in signing Hull City defender Michael Turner.

Benitez has a number of injury worries in defence and saw Jamie Carragher limp off in the first half of Saturday's 2-1 friendly defeat by Atletico Madrid.

Speaking after the match at Anfield, the Spaniard said: "I was talking with Hull manager Phil Brown, but I will not talk about figures."

He added cryptically: "Maybe I was just talking to Phil about the weather."

Benitez has been linked with a bid for central defender Turner, as well as Portsmouth's Sylvain Distin.

He is believed to have offered £6m for Turner, with Hull wanting closer to £12m.

But with Sami Hyypia and Alvaro Arbeloa having left Liverpool this summer, injury problems may force Benitez to increase his bid.

On Liverpool's injury problems, which also saw Fernando Torres limp off at the end with an ankle injury, Benitez said: "Carragher twisted his ankle, and we decided to take him off as a precaution.

"We will have to wait to see how the injured players improve, but I feel they will be ready for our next game.

"We have two options. One is to bring in someone at the back and the other option is to keep working with the young players we have.

"Some youngsters need the opportunity to impress, we will see how they go.

"Jamie will come in tomorrow for treatment at Melwood, and we will assess the situation then.

"For a twisted ankle you need two or three days to see how the injury settles down. I do not believe he will need a scan.

"Fernando came off with an slight injury on his ankle, but he also came off as a precaution because this was only a friendly."

Liverpool played most of the match with Spanish youngsters Danny Ayala and Mikel San Jose in central defence against the outstanding Atletico forward Sergio Aguero.

A target for Chelsea, Aguero scored one goal and created a second for Diego Forlan in the first half, with Lucas Leiva replying for late on Liverpool.

Atletico coach Abel Resino dismissed the Chelsea connection, saying: "As far as I know, we have not had any bids for Aguero."
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:05 pm

I think Turner would be a good addition but wouldnt want us paying over the odds to get him.. 6 mill is not a bad figure but 12 seems a little too steep for my liking...  Think him and Agger would probably be competing for a starting spot alongside Carra, Skrtel behind the trio for me...
Turners probably a better defender than Agger too but Agger is the better allround footballer imo... offers more in terms of starting attacking moves from the back while Turner probably offers more in terms of being a direct goal threat from set pieces...

Anyways, if we have 12mill to spend id think it would probably be wiser spending the bulk of that sum on a backup FW and signing a cheap CB as backup (Distin maybe?) ... IF however Benitez thinks we dont need a backup forward and is satisfied with what we have now for whatever reason, id probably be looking to add a few mill to that 12mill figure and go out and get us a top class CB who would be a sure starter in the side.. Mexes and Chiellini wouldnt be bad shouts...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:07 pm

If we are going to get into double digits then we may as well try for Hangeland. But 6Mil seems a decent price. However if they are wanting double then is that gap not too big to bridge?

I take it Rafa is not planning on trying Kelly in the first team then?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:17 pm

I think Rafa sees Kelly more as a backup RB ... Even when Carra got injured today he didnt bring him on, surely Kelly as a CB isnt any worse than Ayala and SanJose who are both quite terrible tbh...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:44 pm

David Wheater ....
LiverpoolMadman

Postby aCe' » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:24 pm

LiverpoolMadman wrote:David Wheater ....

why would we do that ? Dont think hes better than what we have and we'd probably have to pay 5mill+ atleast to get him ... Atleast Turner would give Agger some serious competition for the starting spot and if he can perform like he did with Hull i think he could very well become a starting player for us in the near future if not right away... Cant see that happening with Wheater tbh...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:30 am

distin and tuncay would both be great signings, they have prem experience and quality and would probally only cost around 7million

but if we cant sign another centre back i would put kelly in there i reckon hes class
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:36 am

MARTIN KELLY . MARTIN FECKIN KELLY .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby baldricks_cunning_plan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:39 am

Igor Zidane wrote:MARTIN FECKIN KELLY .

That's next week's Corrie ruined, but who do you think should be our centre back pairing? :D
baldricks_cunning_plan

Postby crazyhorse » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:46 am

And the award for best user name goes to......

Baldricks Cunning Plan!

lol:p
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby baldricks_cunning_plan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:53 am

crazyhorse wrote:And the award for best user name goes to......

Baldricks Cunning Plan!

lol:p

It was either that or General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmenay Melchett. But I thought that one went on a little too long  :D
baldricks_cunning_plan

Postby Owzat » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:09 am

aCe' wrote:I think Turner would be a good addition but wouldnt want us paying over the odds to get him.. 6 mill is not a bad figure but 12 seems a little too steep for my liking...  Think him and Agger would probably be competing for a starting spot alongside Carra, Skrtel behind the trio for me...
Turners probably a better defender than Agger too but Agger is the better allround footballer imo... offers more in terms of starting attacking moves from the back while Turner probably offers more in terms of being a direct goal threat from set pieces...

Anyways, if we have 12mill to spend id think it would probably be wiser spending the bulk of that sum on a backup FW and signing a cheap CB as backup (Distin maybe?) ... IF however Benitez thinks we dont need a backup forward and is satisfied with what we have now for whatever reason, id probably be looking to add a few mill to that 12mill figure and go out and get us a top class CB who would be a sure starter in the side.. Mexes and Chiellini wouldnt be bad shouts...

I'd pay no more than £4m-£5m for Turner, maybe offer them a swap deal with a player we have no use for or player for £££ plus a loan (maybe Kelly)

But if rumours Hull want £12m are true, something I find hard to believe, then look elsewhere. Skrtel, Vidic and Agger cost between £5.8m and £7m and he's not clearly better than that trio. Right kind of player, wrong price. For £12m I'd want an international CB and probably for a top European/Worldwide country. Could offer them £4m, Kelly on loan and have clauses in like £1m for winning the League, £1m for the Champions League (both up to two max) and £100k for every International cap up to 10.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion