NEW STADIUM - All News + discussion here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:00 pm

D___C » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:52 am wrote:Delighted with the news. Please God this comes to fruition.

From a cost benefit analysis standpoint, Peter McGurk (on Rawk) is probably the most learned of all our fans in outlining why redevelopment was a no brainer. The maths never stacked up in favour of a Parry Bowl, and Henry even endorsed his analysis. We have the same 60 thousand capacity by redeveloping, at roughly 40% of the cost of a bowl. For me it was less about the financial aspect as to why it we had to stay and redevelop... simply put, Anfield is the most iconic stadium in England, the "templo of futbol" as Marca states, you dont swap that for a generic, soulless, bowl that would have watered down our identity. Anfield is a gold mine. No matter how sh1t we are doing, we always have the most iconic home in the country which the media cant get enough of. Watch a live game on Sky...no other club's stadium gets the media attention or focus that we do. Every single opposing team player/manager talks about coming to Anfield. Ask the average man on the street to name one stand in England and the answer will be The Kop. With Anfield we will eventually get back to the top.. with a parry bowl and a watered down identity i seriously doubt we would.

The main stand and Anfield road end revedeloped (with extra tier) is the perfect scenario, it has to happen. We have been let down before so i wont get the cheap champagne out just yet.

good post, agree 100%
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:13 am

I think this is the best decision we could have wished for, again the owners seem to come up with the right answer both on the long term security of our club and also giving (most) of us what we want.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Redman in wales » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:58 am

Managing director Ian Ayre talks to Liverpoolfc.com about the proposed plan to redevelop Anfield.

Ian, today the club has made public its desire to stay at Anfield and redevelop the stadium. Some fans will ask why it's taken 10 years to arrive at this position?

I think the important factor there is that today is actually the two-year anniversary since the purchase of the football club by Fenway Sports Group. That's an important point to make because in reality the team of people have been looking at this solution for two years. I think the process and the progress we have made in those two years is actually phenomenal, really, in the timescales for such a major proposition as an expansion of Anfield or a new stadium. That doesn't detract from the 10 years that people have had to wait, but I think it puts into perspective the hard work that's gone to reach the decision today.

What has changed to allow today's announcement to take place?

I know a proposition of staying at Anfield has been looked at before, but fundamentally the difference is that for the first time ever all of the relevant parties are coming together for a common initiative and that common initiative is not for the needs of the football club but actually the needs of the community. The regeneration of Anfield is something that many residents and many people throughout the city have talked about and we all recognise the football club is an employer, a business, and a resident, to some extent, in this area. We all know and we all appreciate how much investment and regeneration is needed in the area so bringing together all of that plan and the vision of Mayor Anderson and Liverpool City Council and some of the other stakeholders, putting that vision into reality is what's helped us be a part of that. Liverpool's part in that is not just the consideration of staying at Anfield and the expansion, it's a whole bunch of other initiatives that we'll work together with the other stakeholders on, so it's that coming together on the bigger initiative that's allowed us to get to today.

Why is it the club's preference to expand Anfield rather than build a completely new stadium?

Well again over this process and this period over the last two years one of the things that we've had to do and was important to do was analyse the detail of what works, what doesn't work, what the economical situation is for either solution. If you build a new stadium, for example, one of the big challenges is that, depending on the capacity, you build 15,000 or 16,000 new seats - you don't get 60,000 new seats in a new stadium, you only get the difference. That makes it very difficult to make it viable because the cost of building such a big new stadium doesn't work economically, particularly in this market, so one of the things we had to look at was the balance between that solution and a staying at Anfield type solution, and the work we've done on that showed us that as long as we could find the right solution to stay at Anfield and get through the barriers and hurdles that we needed, we would have to find the best long-term solution for the club that had sustainability and worked economically. Added to that is the fact that I'd say it was very much the preference for our fans, the majority of our fans, and certainly for all of us. I think this is the spiritual home of Liverpool Football Club. Football fans, both Liverpool fans and fans of other clubs, will have had some of the most amazing memories of their time supporting the club and coming to Anfield at this stadium. We've had some of the greatest triumphs in our history here, so it makes sense if there's a right solution that this is the place we should continue to play our football.

What facts are LFC waiting on to make redeveloping Anfield a certainty?

Well, there's a whole bunch of things that still have to happen and that's an important message we want to send out - that we need certainty. That's the most important thing. Liverpool fans, myself, everybody connected with Liverpool knows what happens when promises are made and then broken, so it's important we get certainty before we make the next step and a big part of the certainty for what we are trying to achieve is the acquisition of properties and therefore land to build on and then the subsequent planning permission. It would be wrong and foolish and irresponsible for any of us to just assume those things will happen. Hopefully they can happen and that's a big part of why we are working together with Liverpool City Council, with the housing and with the residents.

What will it cost to rebuild Anfield and how much will the capacity increase by?

Again, those answers will really be determined by the next steps so once we know the footprint that we have to work with, once we know the size and the opportunity and the planning restrictions, whatever they may be, that will help us to determine the design and the ultimate capacity, and obviously the subsequent cost of that. We've done a lot of work, I've been here just over five years now, and there's been a lot of work done on demand so we have a very good handle on what our sweet-spot in terms of capacity is, and again the ultimate solution will be driven by the economics of it. It's important to us that we build something that works financially and that contributes to the football club going forward.

What will happen to the Hillsborough memorial if the Anfield Road stand is rebuilt?

First and foremost there will always be a Hillsborough memorial at Liverpool Football Club. In terms of its current location, whether that be affected it's difficult to determine that, but I think as the club has demonstrated consistently we'll always have a very open and healthy dialogue with the families and maintain the maximum amount of respect for them and for the memorial, so no worries on that front. That's something that is a bridge we will cross when we come to it.

Will we still be able to play at Anfield while work is ongoing on the stadium?

Yes. The initial study we've done into expansion is largely centred around that because, again, when you look at the economics of trying to achieve this project, what's important is we don't lose revenue in the process. The solutions that we've looked at, the work that we've done and the analysis that we have done - they all work around the idea of maintaining the current capacity as much as possible but allowing any construction to go ahead at the same time.

How will the club pay for the redevelopment and will it affect our ability to compete in the transfer market?

As we've said, the right solution is the right economic solution. More so from it detracting from our spending in the transfer market, the whole point of doing this is to actually increase our revenues. If we look at our biggest competitors with a bigger capacity, like Manchester United, Arsenal, if you look at their matchday revenues it is significantly ahead of ours. This whole initiative is designed to generate additional revenues so the ultimate solution has to be one that increases the overall output through the process rather than decreasing it, and we'll find the right financing solution, the right return on investment to deliver the right amount of additional revenue to support the long-term future of the football club.

When would you hope we could possibly play our first game inside a newly redeveloped Anfield?

I think we would all hope to do it as soon as possible but again there are determining factors we don't know the answer to yet. As I spoke about earlier, the acquisition of land and property and the planning processes are exactly that - processes -  and they are undeterminable at this stage. We start that in earnest today and there has already been some work gone on in advance and each one is a kind of gate that you get through before you can start the process of the next one. So again, it's too early to say the time or the dates. As we unfold the plan and as the plan develops, obviously we will use all the normal channels to let our fans know and keep them informed. We are all excited about it and hopefully it's a great opportunity for the club.

How will LFC redeveloping Anfield help the local community?

There are two parts to that. One is we are a big employer in the area and what's great is that this opportunity, any expansion, would provide additional jobs in the area. But I think more so what today's announcement is really about is the club's part in the wider regeneration of the area. That initiative led by Mayor Anderson is really about improving people's lives in that area. It's about creating a better place to live, it's about creating better facilities in and around that area and we are just one part of that. I think we've demonstrated over many years we are a key anchor tenant in that community. We already create a lot of jobs, we feed a lot of businesses and contribute to that economy, and so it makes obvious sense that a bigger facility with more people coming, not just on a matchday but on a non-matchday, with better facilities, will all help contribute to the economy and the local economy in particular.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:37 am

Spot on. Lets get cracking. Grab a shovel and follow me...
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:07 pm

Did Ayres actually answer one single question with anything but maybe's, what if's and downright fkg waffle!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:10 pm

Well the exact details haven't been finalised yet.
Benny The Noon

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:26 pm

devaney » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:07 pm wrote:Did Ayres actually answer one single question with anything but maybe's, what if's and downright fkg waffle!

They have to put a planning application in to LCC which has to be scutinised by council planning officers and is open to objections by the public, businesses etc.
The sooner they sort the design out the sooner they can bang the application in. Joe Anderson has said he cant see a problem with it getting passed, which is good news. Apparantly it will be part of a bigger regeneration scheme which will draw down other funding for the area, rather than just LFC doing its own thing.
I would hope that they already have the designs done as they have had 2 years to work on them and would be looking at getting this sorted sooner rather than later
Thommo's perm

Postby The Hustler » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:48 pm

devaney » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:07 pm wrote:Did Ayres actually answer one single question with anything but maybe's, what if's and downright fkg waffle!

Agreed.

The biggest stumbling block is buying the houses that are on the land directly behind the main stand. Some are occupied, others are boarded up. If the the owners/tenants there don't want to budge then it could drag on for years, as we can't literally kick them out on the street. I'm sure this avenue has been looked at before many times.

The anfield road end backs onto a road, so there are land restrictions there, as they can't just demolish a council road!For those who remember the Anfield road end when it was a single tier stand will note how they did well to utilize the limited space to make it into a 2 tier stand.

Whole thing could take 5-10 years from now. Planning permission can take over 6 months to be granted alone, construction/ demolition, another 2 years.

Boo Hoo !  :cool:
The Hustler
LFC Advanced Member

Postby tubby » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:07 pm

And with Henry saying the stadium isn't the answer to our problems there is no pressure on him to get the thing started. If he isn't going to pump money into the stadium then the least he could do is pump some money into the team.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dundreamin » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:44 pm

Wonder if we will get the extension done before we get relegated? If I was a betting man relegation would be favorite. Why? Too many many false dawns. I,ll believe it when I see it
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby Boxscarf » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:52 pm

tubby » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:07 pm wrote:And with Henry saying the stadium isn't the answer to our problems there is no pressure on him to get the thing started. If he isn't going to pump money into the stadium then the least he could do is pump some money into the team.

Where has he said this?
Boxscarf

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:57 am

Boxscarf » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:52 pm wrote:
tubby » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:07 pm wrote:And with Henry saying the stadium isn't the answer to our problems there is no pressure on him to get the thing started. If he isn't going to pump money into the stadium then the least he could do is pump some money into the team.

Where has he said this?

Dont bother mate. Despite the owners gifting Dalglish with millions to spend, Tubby has his own agenda with regards to the owners. Generally, he wants us to buy success , but us northerners are more used to working for it.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:00 pm

Kharhaz » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:57 am wrote:
Boxscarf » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:52 pm wrote:

Where has he said this?

Dont bother mate. Despite the owners gifting Dalglish with millions to spend, Tubby has his own agenda with regards to the owners. Generally, he wants us to buy success , but us northerners are more used to working for it.

:oops:

Ooh a North/South debate.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby heimdall » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:50 pm

The Hustler » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:48 pm wrote:
devaney » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:07 pm wrote:Did Ayres actually answer one single question with anything but maybe's, what if's and downright fkg waffle!

Agreed.

The biggest stumbling block is buying the houses that are on the land directly behind the main stand. Some are occupied, others are boarded up. If the the owners/tenants there don't want to budge then it could drag on for years, as we can't literally kick them out on the street. I'm sure this avenue has been looked at before many times.

The anfield road end backs onto a road, so there are land restrictions there, as they can't just demolish a council road!For those who remember the Anfield road end when it was a single tier stand will note how they did well to utilize the limited space to make it into a 2 tier stand.

Whole thing could take 5-10 years from now. Planning permission can take over 6 months to be granted alone, construction/ demolition, another 2 years.

Boo Hoo !  :cool:

I would have thought that with the backing of the city council any alteration to the street(s) should be no problem plus surely if tenants are offered a fair wedge of cash they'll move, how much are those properties worth anyway?
heimdall

Postby Homebooby » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:10 pm

Surprised to read anything negative on this page, surely this is good news and signs that the owners have once again gauged the audience very well. I see nothing to complain about.

Especially interested in these comments:

I know a proposition of staying at Anfield has been looked at before, but fundamentally the difference is that for the first time ever all of the relevant parties are coming together for a common initiative and that common initiative is not for the needs of the football club but actually the needs of the community. The regeneration of Anfield is something that many residents and many people throughout the city have talked about and we all recognise the football club is an employer, a business, and a resident, to some extent, in this area. We all know and we all appreciate how much investment and regeneration is needed in the area so bringing together all of that plan and the vision of Mayor Anderson and Liverpool City Council and some of the other stakeholders, putting that vision into reality is what's helped us be a part of that. Liverpool's part in that is not just the consideration of staying at Anfield and the expansion, it's a whole bunch of other initiatives that we'll work together with the other stakeholders on, so it's that coming together on the bigger initiative that's allowed us to get to today.

There are two parts to that. One is we are a big employer in the area and what's great is that this opportunity, any expansion, would provide additional jobs in the area. But I think more so what today's announcement is really about is the club's part in the wider regeneration of the area. That initiative led by Mayor Anderson is really about improving people's lives in that area. It's about creating a better place to live, it's about creating better facilities in and around that area and we are just one part of that. I think we've demonstrated over many years we are a key anchor tenant in that community. We already create a lot of jobs, we feed a lot of businesses and contribute to that economy, and so it makes obvious sense that a bigger facility with more people coming, not just on a matchday but on a non-matchday, with better facilities, will all help contribute to the economy and the local economy in particular.

As I am not a scouser myself, I was curious what the local view is regarding these statements and how they are landing with the people impacted. If I remember from earlier discussions, the area surrounding the club is not that great, so I assume regeneration would be welcomed in general. I also assume that LFC will make sure that anyone needing to be moved out will be taken care of and 'upgraded'. Realise these are all assumptions and uninformed. Anyone who has a viewpoint or info on this I would love to hear as local opinions are really the only ones that matter here.

One last thing, I thought I saw mention of a new hotel too? Good for the community and travellers alike or no?
Homebooby

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion