NEW STADIUM - All News + discussion here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:00 pm

Tomorrow's Times back page

http://twitpic.com/5mos5a
Last edited by tubby on Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:01 pm

ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Good Yank » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:08 pm

Glad i wasn't the the third one to post that link.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:44 pm

All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Reg » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:31 pm

Liverpool may pass and move from Anfield, admits owner John Henry

Liverpool’s principal owner John Henry has admitted the club may have to abolish plans to refurbish Anfield and move to a new stadium if they are to have any hope of generating the commercial revenues required to match Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea on and off the pitch.

08 Jul 2011

On the day City announced their unique, £400 million tie-in with the airline Etihad to rebrand the City of Manchester stadium and much of its surrounding area, Henry outlined on Twitter the dilemma facing Liverpool as they race to keep up. “[Remaining at] Anfield would certainly be our first choice” wrote the 61 year-old. “But realities may dictate otherwise. So many obstacles...”

Those obstacles - the city council’s preference for relocation to the long-awaited stadium on Stanley Park, the need to close down huge portions of Anfield if rebuilding work were to take place, the ground’s lack of corporate facilities and the lack of space in which to expand - mean Fenway Sports Group, the club’s parent company, are now leaning away from their original intention to revamp Liverpool’s present home.

Henry and his group successfully managed to refurbish Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox baseball franchise FSG also own.

They must make a decision before September - when planning permission on the site earmarked for Liverpool’s new home on nearby Stanley Park expires - on whether to adopt the same approach or build a new ground.

The club insist no decision has yet been made but it is believed FSG’s ability to attract a naming-rights partner to offset building costs and boost revenues in the face of Uefa’s looming Financial Fair Play legislation will prove crucial. Standard Chartered, the club’s shirt sponsor, are thought to be one of a number of companies provisionally and informally sounded out over such a deal.

Meanwhile, Liverpool’s attempts to raise funds in the rather more immediate future are likely to accelerate after it emerged Raul Meireles is not expected to join the club on their pre-season tour of China and Malaysia, for which they depart on Sunday.

Liverpool are prepared to listen to offers for the Portuguese, a £13.7 million signing less than a year ago, despite an impressive first campaign in England, as he is one of the Anfield side’s few valuable - but expendable - assets. Though Inter Milan’s interest is thought to have cooled, Fiorentina and Juventus are both monitoring his situation, and his omission from the travelling party suggests the club expect imminent movement.

He is likely to be joined in the coming weeks by a number of team-mates. “We are very pleased with the two signings we have made because they were absolute priorities on our list,” the club’s director of football, Damien Comolli said.

“We’re lucky we’ve got two of our priorities. That’s good, and I’m sure there’ll still be a lot of movement, especially going out but also, hopefully, a few more coming in.”

The 18-year-old full-back John Flanagan, though, will be remaining with the Premier League club for the next four years after signing an improved contract on Friday.

Telegraph link
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dundreamin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:52 pm

No way a groundshare NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER:angry:
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby Reg » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:13 am

Based on what exactly, Mr Angry?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:39 am

Meireles looks certain to be off then. I hope they know what they're doing

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:29 am

Reg wrote:Based on what exactly, Mr Angry?

Are you serious Reginald?
???
Thommo's perm

Postby Waldo » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:36 am

Anfield would be sorely missed but the reality is that, if we cannot redevelop and get 60k + for every home game, we will fall behind our rivals and never be able to catch up unless some rich Sheikh comes along one day like Man City!!

In that case it is in the long term interests of LFC to move to a 60k + (even 70k+) stadium but NOT in any kind of ground sharing capacity.

I am led to believe that many parties are interested in the naming rights of a new stadium.
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:02 am

I am pleased that this appears to be reaching a conclusion so we know one way or another. Seems they had perhaps hoped to stay and re develop because this was a fan preference however its looking expensive and impossible to build to a decent capacity. Its looking inevitable we will move now and all that needs to be done is secure funding via naming rights so we can take up the planning order before it runs out in September.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:10 am

Thommo's perm wrote:
Reg wrote:Based on what exactly, Mr Angry?

Are you serious Reginald?
???

I think he's asking why such a comment about a goundshare was made...

I think most Liverpool fans are against it but there was no mention of it previously that's all

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby metalhead » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:34 pm

LFC statement on new stadium

Link
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:35 pm

If as a result of a groundshare we get the best 75,000 seat stadium in the country then I'm all for it.

I don't give a monkeys about the Bitters, our ground would always be our ground and its fitting we have the best.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:49 pm

No mention of a ground share in the officail statement wouldn't be overly worried about it. There's also been some talk about the council only extending planning permission for the new build by a few months but I suepct they will give the club as long as they need. Anfield (as in the area) is in such a bad way and the only way to regenerate the area by the means of the new stadium build I think. It sounds like the club have admitted defeat in redeveloping Anfield so we'll just have to sit tight and wait on news of the new stadium as and when it happens. At least they're putting us in the picture.

I actually really liked the 2nd desing that the Dallas architecs came up with so hopefully they will/wopuld go with that one instead of the previous design which looked a replica of the atmophereless Emirates stadium.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion