New players?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Coley » Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:08 pm

I agree with kopfanade, where are the English (or at least British) players?  Why could we not go for joe cole?  what about sean davies at Fulham and of course there is Smith at Leeds.  We need to get these types of players, with a good British mentality in to the club and moulds them in to great players.  If we bring in foreigners they should only be of the highest class, not just 'squad' players who don't really care and are just picking up their money each week.
Coley

Postby Coley » Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:11 pm

sorry, forgot to say, Jason Koumaas would have been a great signing for the future as well!
Coley

Postby greenred » Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:12 pm

Mr houllier shouldnt be given a single penny to spend until he proves he has some ability in the transfer market.Do we really want liverpool money spent on yet more "zidanes" who dont have the aptitude to succeed in the premier league.Let gh soldier on with what hes got and if he turns things around then give him some money next summer.Until then its a pointless exercise.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ROBtheRED » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:57 pm

Scott Parker from Charlton would be an excellent signing, he  is international class but hasnt yet been recognised due to being at an unfashionable club, he will excel at a bigger club.

We also need another central defender and Boumsong looks as if he will join in January, which looks good business.

Other than that i think we've got a good squad once the likes of Hamann, Baros, Henchoz and Carragher are back fit and on top of their game.
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the kop make you feel great. . .yet humble."   Mr B.Shankly
ROBtheRED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simlinford » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:14 pm

Steed Malbronque looks class at moment and he'll play on the right so we dont have to play that ideot Dioef
Simlinford

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:31 pm

Some interesting suggestions.  I think SCOTT PARKER is capable of becoming a class act but where would he fit in, also SEAN DAVIS is a quality player who i like but again where would he fit in, if we were to get one of these they would have to be willing to play second fiddle to Gerrard and Hamman.

PATRICK KLUVIURT is another quality player but his head is almost as big as his wage packet.

STEED MALBRANQUE is a more feasable option, he will provide goals from midfield and will fit in nicely down the right.

CISSE is overated.

BOUMSONG looks a good prospect, and with him being free at the end of the season, it,s not a risk.

On a final note I agree that we should have more of an english (British or Australian) core, with Owen, Gerrard, Kewell, and if Kirkland and John Welsh can break through, thats not bad, but if we could add SIMON DAVIES and MARK VIDUKA we could have a strong core.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:49 pm

I agree that Cisse is overated.

He was once dubbed the new Henry but it seems thats its Liverpool who are interested in him.

I saw a few highlights of Boumsong playing recently and he's not bad.

I would definitely go for Steed Malbranque, and maybe Simon Davis.

Mendieta could do a job for Liverpool.

What about Andy Reid at Forest? He's absolutely flying at the moment.

Unfortunately there are not that many British and Irish players available who would add to Liverpool.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:53 pm

John Barnes' Granny what do you think of SCOTT PARKER, my mate works as a steward at Charlton and he gets me tickets, and PARKER always stands out like a sore thumb.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:54 pm

Also what positions do you think we need strengthing in and what suggestion do you have for those positons?

I identifed my positions and players earlier.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby long sleeved joe » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:25 pm

if or when Owen leaves i would like to see Kewell continue in his position just behind the out and out striker but i would like him to play behind a player of bigger physical stature than owen. While Heskey fits the physical description if we are realsitic about winning league titles and the champions league that striker must score regularly.  I have been very impressed with the Ajax number 9 Zlatan Ibrahimovic who is young and has more tricks than Diouffy on a confident day.  Would love to see him making his presence felt in the premiership
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden i'd draw the curtains" Bill Shankly
long sleeved joe

Postby JBG » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:18 am

Has wrote:John Barnes' Granny what do you think of SCOTT PARKER, my mate works as a steward at Charlton and he gets me tickets, and PARKER always stands out like a sore thumb.

I think Scott Parker is a good player but I would be afraid that he would prove to be no better than Danny Murphy in a Liverpool shirt.

I think that if Murphy was playing for Charlton he'd turn in similar performances to Parker.

There's a big difference in being the number one player in a small club and then taking the big step up to a larger one (remember Dean Saunders, Paul Stewart, Mark Kennedy, Nigel Clough and Phil Babb?)

Liverpool used to be experts in turning good players into great ones (Ray Houghtan, John Aldridge, John Barnes, Peter Beardsley, Mark Lawerson etc) but we have lost the knack over the last 10 years.

I think we need an Eric Contona figure to turn things around.

UTD were struggling until they signed Contona. There are definite historical similarities between UTD of the early 1990s and the current Liverpool side.

However, where the hell are we going to get the new Contona?

We need a big skillful and arrogant guy up front, someone like Contana, Viduka or Sheringham, who will score goals out of the blue.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:54 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:We need a big skillful and arrogant guy up front, someone like Contana, Viduka or Sheringham, who will score goals out of the blue.

If thats what u want Ibrahimovic is exactly what u described, but he is a bit of a play boy, always having arguments with coaches and other players

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:00 pm

Has wrote:If thats what u want Ibrahimovic is exactly what u described, but he is a bit of a play boy, always having arguments with coaches and other players

Ibrahimovic is absolutely top drawer and does have a certain aura of a young Eric Contana about him in that he's very arrogant.

He would be worth a go, but knowing Liverpool's reputation he would be another Stan Collymore!
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion