NESV - OUR NEW OWNERS - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:55 pm

Apparently there is a big announcement later about this proposed breakaway super league and according to Sky the 6 biggest English clubs (including us) have all tacitly agreed to sign up to the idea. The Premier League have written to all 20 prem clubs asking them to turn down the proposal as it would have a detrimental effect on and indeed change English football forever.  UEFA aren’t happy either.
If this happens I will support Everton and that is not a joke. This proposed European Super League will be the epitome of everything that’s wrong with the modern game, nearly 150 years of history and tradition thrown in the bin just because someone dangle’s a few quid in front of the likes of us, united, chelsea etc....unbelievable  :no
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:24 pm

I just hope we do not lose ground like we did when the premier league was formed, I remember people saying similar things as to how it will kill football due to money (they were not far off though).
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:45 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:55 pm wrote:Apparently there is a big announcement later about this proposed breakaway super league and according to Sky the 6 biggest English clubs (including us) have all tacitly agreed to sign up to the idea. The Premier League have written to all 20 prem clubs asking them to turn down the proposal as it would have a detrimental effect on and indeed change English football forever.  UEFA aren’t happy either.
If this happens I will support Everton and that is not a joke. This proposed European Super League will be the epitome of everything that’s wrong with the modern game, nearly 150 years of history and tradition thrown in the bin just because someone dangle’s a few quid in front of the likes of us, united, chelsea etc....unbelievable  :no

It’s no different to when the PL was formed in a breakaway from the Football league or when they created the CL instead of the old European Cup

UEFA and Co aren’t going to be happy because they know they gravy train will be leaving if it happened
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:15 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:45 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:55 pm wrote:Apparently there is a big announcement later about this proposed breakaway super league and according to Sky the 6 biggest English clubs (including us) have all tacitly agreed to sign up to the idea. The Premier League have written to all 20 prem clubs asking them to turn down the proposal as it would have a detrimental effect on and indeed change English football forever.  UEFA aren’t happy either.

It’s no different to when the PL was formed in a breakaway from the Football league or when they created the CL instead of the old European Cup

UEFA and Co aren’t going to be happy because they know they gravy train will be leaving if it happened

True, but for all the premier league faults they didn’t disrupt the intrinsic balance of the league by giving certain clubs protected status, if the likes of us, United, Chelsea, Arsenal etc know we are going to play in this proposed super league no matter what no matter where we finish what motivation is there to finish as high as we can in the prem?
Plus if you have 2 league’s running concurrently with each other over time one is going to supersede the other in importance and you only have to look at the FA Cup, the most important trophy in football, to see that history and tradition comes a distant second to cash in the modern game.
English football will become the new League Cup/FA Cup.
This proposal will kill the domestic game in this country, I look on our domestic game like I look at the NHS i.e one of the great things about this country. No other country loves football like this country, other countries love the game and produce great players but none of them, Spain, Brazil, Germany, Argentina....whoever, have a love of the game that supports 90 plus professional clubs.
I don’t want to see one of the things that makes this country great, a thing 150 years plus in the making, a thing that has ties to practically every community in England, ruined so a handful of extremely wealthy people can make themselves a bit more wealthy.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:03 pm

It's just pure greed at the end of the day. They were greedy when they formed the premier league and now that isnt enough they want to form something else.  How are they even going to incorporate those games into the regular calendar ?. Kick a few teams from the Prem, abolish the cups?. 

We need to do it to be able to compete is what you will hear in the clubs defense  :laugh: 

If they do it then that will be it for me. I hate the way the game has gone and I am not particularly fond of our current ownership either. They are just in it for as much as they can get off the clubs back.

Hope they get destroyed for this.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:12 pm

This will be the end of football, like maby said eventually the super League will take more importance and let the epl be like the league cup.

Also, how boring would it be playing Barca, Real, Bayern every season. You normally enjoy those ties when you draw them in UCL.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:18 pm

Gary Neville is ripping into the lot of them on SSN.  He is dead right  :nod Enough is enough :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:18 pm

So is this superleague going to replace the Champions League or the Premier League?
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:27 pm

Clearly the negotiations between the big clubs and UEFA around how the broadcasting money from the next deal will be allocated isn't going well. The threat of the new league has to be real in order for it to be an effective negotiating tactic but ultimately it's very likely they'll come to an agreement were UEFA give the club's a bigger piece of the pie.
Eagle

Postby Eagle » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:31 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:18 pm wrote:So is this superleague going to replace the Champions League or the Premier League?

Champions League. The beef is between UEFA and the clubs. But obviously a super league wouldn't be good for domestic leagues.
Eagle

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:35 pm

Eagle » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:27 pm wrote:Clearly the negotiations between the big clubs and UEFA around how the broadcasting money from the next deal will be allocated isn't going well. The threat of the new league has to be real in order for it to be an effective negotiating tactic but ultimately it's very likely they'll come to an agreement were UEFA give the club's a bigger piece of the pie.

The timing is just a bit to perfect isnt it  :laugh:

Being honest I dont think their new reformed CL is going to be a lot better for the game either.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:37 pm

red till i die!! » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:35 pm wrote:
Eagle » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:27 pm wrote:Clearly the negotiations between the big clubs and UEFA around how the broadcasting money from the next deal will be allocated isn't going well. The threat of the new league has to be real in order for it to be an effective negotiating tactic but ultimately it's very likely they'll come to an agreement were UEFA give the club's a bigger piece of the pie.

The timing is just a bit to perfect isnt it  :laugh:

Being honest I dont think their new reformed CL is going to be a lot better for the game either.

I didn't read all the details but the new CL sounded a bit like the way they used to organise the cricket world cups which would be a bit Sh*t. Don't have a problem with them expanding to include more teams and more games but current format of groups followed by knockout stages should remain.
Eagle

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:50 pm

red till i die!! » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:03 pm wrote:If they do it then that will be it for me. I hate the way the game has gone .

Me too, think i’ll take up golf or something.
6 clubs are going to wreck nearly a century and a half of history and tradition, the English game, created 150 years ago by Englishmen/Scotsmen/Welshmen and Irishmen and wrecked by moneymen.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:06 pm

This is what we know so far of the proposals...

1. The clubs will not be leaving the domestic leagues.

2. Instead of the Champions League and the Europa League, they will be playing in a new competition, called the European Super League, with 20 participants, and with games being played in midweek.

3. There will be 15 founding clubs, that will participate in the ESL every season, and 5 clubs that will qualify for it on yearly basis.

4. There will be a salary cap (transfers +wages) for the participants in the ESL, limited on 55% of their revenue.
Eagle

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:42 pm

Eagle wrote:This is what we know so far of the proposals...

1. The clubs will not be leaving the domestic leagues.

2. Instead of the Champions League and the Europa League, they will be playing in a new competition, called the European Super League, with 20 participants, and with games being played in midweek.

3. There will be 15 founding clubs, that will participate in the ESL every season, and 5 clubs that will qualify for it on yearly basis.

4. There will be a salary cap (transfers +wages) for the participants in the ESL, limited on 55% of their revenue.

If there is 20 participants then it's an extra 38 games a year which is a awful amount on top of a domestic season . It's one foot out the door to a full breakaway.

15 founding clubs creating their own gravy train where they cant be relegated. There is an article on the Echo as well saying JH could have a big role in the league like chairman or something.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion