My club - Prove me wrong

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby big al » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:16 am

Recently in this forum I've had all sorts thrown in my direction. 

Some have treid to deny me the right to be part of the greatest footballing democracy in the world.  A club that was born from the proud sacrifices of thousands of Irish imigrants that left their beloved Ireland to seek a better more and a prosperous life in the greatest sea port in the world.   

For once upon a time Liverpool was the gateway to the new world, the place that maintained and upheld the total wealth and dominance of the British Empire.  The city that brought the delights and the riches of the commonwelth of great nations to British shores.  Here many of my kin folk went in search of the basic human aspirations.  The sought,their humanity, their right to life, their right to eat and their right to work and earn food to feed their children. Most importantly they sought a chance of a brighter and better future. They came and help build a small sea port into a city that all the world would come to honour.   

Liverpool offered Irishmen and women the freedom their own country could not give them. From this influx was born names such as Lennon and McCartney. But most importantly form these masses of Irish imigrants were born the foundations of two great football clubs. One that would one day rival any in its own land and one that would teach nations what football should and could be a conquerer of nations. 

The team born to conquer the sporting world would rely on its birth right of Irish, Scottish and Welsh imigrants who would augment, the indigenous masses of hardworking Anglo Saxon stock and togather they would build a great legacy of a city, Culture and sporting success.

But this clubs greatest hour would be born from the belief and conviction of humble Ayrshire miner.  A man who having worked his young life in darkness of the coal mines in the same place that great men and great reformers such as Kier Hardie where born. This miner was destined to lead millions of dreamers out of the darkest pits and into the brightest of light.

This Little man who had played for or managed Carlisle, Preston North End, Grimsby, Workington and Huddersfield would make the dreams of poor Liverpool factory workers and Liverpool dockers come true. 

He left his home of Glenbuck and delivered to the people of Liverpool his promise of the greatest football club in the world. He met his standards and delivered on his word.  He gave many of us our dreams and we honoured him, rightly.  Bill Shankly was truly the greatest ever football manager and he set the standard that all those who came after himwould follow.  He made promises and then, to his word he honoured them.  Those who were old enough here, knew him well, those of us, like me remember only his greatness, I have only memories of a straight talking little Scotch man, that made me love football.  I suppose my memories play tricks and thats why I like G. Strachan so much.  I long for the candid and witty genius that was Bill Shankly.

I was an 8 years old boy many miles away in Belfast when he hung his boots up in July 1974.  I cried more tears that day
than ever in my life and perhaps more than many of you who think your more entitled to be a Liverpool fan than me. 

I have cried many more tears both for joy and with great great sadness.

I have been told that I have no right to belong on the streets of Liverpool they are not my streets, more importantly for me I have been told that I don't belong in the stands of my beloved Anfield. If this was true how many outsiders would not belong,  I have stood in the Kop on great European nights and I have been there for both victories and defeats as have so many of you and yet someone tells me I don't belong.  I have met hundreds and thousands of die hard Liverpool fans, I've met ex players and coaches even an ex manager not one of them in my 30 years as a fan and supporter has ever told me I don't belong.  Shame on those who do.

More importantly I'll be back there in a fortnights time, should anyone think I don't belong just Look out for the big Irishman with the liverpool badge on his heart you come and you try to stop me.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:39 am

You tell im Al.Ever think of running for taoiseach?
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gaz31 » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:39 am

BIG AL YOU ARE ONE OF THE MOST RESPECTED PEOPLE ON THIS SITE AND I MUST SAY THAT IS ONE HELL OF A WRITE UP YOU ARE REDASANYONEELSE AND REDDERTHANSOME!!
RESPECT TO YOU AL
When you get the ball, I want you to beat a couple of men and smash the ball into the net, just the same way you used to at Bury," said Shankly. Lindsay replied: "But Boss that wasn't me, it was Bobby Kerr." Shankly turned to Bob Paisley and said: "Christ Bob, we've signed the wrong player."
gaz31
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:42 am

More red than that stu bloke.He knows f##k all about the history and traditions of liverpool.The city or the club.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:49 am

Thanks for the support guys
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby gaz31 » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:49 am

YA KNOW WHAT GREENRED TA COULD BE RIGHT THERE MATE!!
When you get the ball, I want you to beat a couple of men and smash the ball into the net, just the same way you used to at Bury," said Shankly. Lindsay replied: "But Boss that wasn't me, it was Bobby Kerr." Shankly turned to Bob Paisley and said: "Christ Bob, we've signed the wrong player."
gaz31
LFC Elite Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:51 am

Big Al.

I haven't been here on this site for very long, but already I know that you are a person who deserves a great deal of respect.

Your post stirs the spirit and the emotions. It sums up what Liverpool F.C. is all about. A team that has gone through many versions and variations. All inclusive. A club for every race, nationality and culture. When you're a Liverpool fan, whether you're black, yellow, white, or brown, none of it matters. The only colour that matters is Red.

We do things differently at Liverpool. We are club set apart from all others with a rich history and culture. Liverpool is about community. About being proud of where you come from, wherever that may be. Liverpool is a team based on one thing: emotion. The club has been through so much. We've seen the ups and downs. Domination and decline. The joy and the grief. But we survive by standing together and showing a united front.

God Bless.

Walk On.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leothelion » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:23 am

ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU THAT YOU DONT DESERVE TO BE A SUPPORTER DONT KNOW WHAT THEIR TALKING ABOUT .
SOUNDS TO ME THAT SOMEONE WHO WOULD SAY THAT WOULD BE QUESTIONING THEIR OWN LOYALTY TO THE CLUB
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
"MEMBER OF BEAVIS CREW"
leothelion
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:15 pm

Excellent post big al..
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:33 pm

Maybe if everyone put as much effort into supporting the team and backing the club as you have in this post then we'd be in a lot better situation than we currently find ourselves.
115-1073096938

Postby greenred » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:23 pm

Theres a difference between supporting the club, and being what you are stu,a houllier sycophant.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:51 am

Stu this is supporting the club, thats why this forum exists, this is why we take the time to come here and share are views with each other,  Stu this is A Liverpool supporters site, I thought you knew that, Ithought you understood that this is for us the only voice we have, Every one of us puts the effort in to talk with other fans who have one thing in common, there love of Liverpool FC.  Stu what do you think this is all about?  This is not just a place to come and mouth of, its a place to learn and I tell you this since I joined I've learn't so much from brilliant fans and I've even learn't from you!  Take a look at the people here Stu, Not putting the effort in, We could all be sitting watching some crappy programme on TV instead we get our kicks talking to other fans.
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby redandblue » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:56 pm

Stu. Wrong again. The fans HAVE been supporting the club for all of these title free years. The support from the fans has been phenomenal and the current manager, who is a clown, has had much much more support than his team's performances deserve.

The management team at Anfield have been very fortunate that the fans have tolerated mediocrity for so long. Do they really think that we should be satisfied if we finish fourth, perhaps 25-30 points off the title champions? They are having a laugh.

The gulf between us and the top two is enormous. And we should ALL be worried because it is widening.

And Big Al, great post.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:32 pm

come back Al,your club needs you!
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:33 pm

Big Al  your views are well respected and you  are held in high esteem by this forum ,your threads are always knowledgeable and informative and I personally have never  sensed any bitterness or vindictiveness in any of your posts  unlike some I could mention .

I take my hat off to you big man ,I have only made 200 posts  myself but I consider them to be well thought out and most importantly  from the heart ,but I also stress that genuine supporters Al whether your posts are tinged with sadness or bristling with humour can sense a genuine fan  and like me they have no doubts about you  ,so I wouldn’t be concerned Big Man you cant hide your character even in writing and true fans know that to be the case .

:D :D :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion