Move on - Could we ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kenco » Sun May 08, 2005 9:06 am

the crowd at anfield last tuesday produced another amazing european night atmospere,that no other supporters in europe could match.but i'am the first to admit that at some league games this year,anfield as resembled a morgue.lets be honest it seems the suppporters and the players only get themselves motivated for the big games,which is the same at a lot of premiership grounds.but what will happen,when and if we move to a new stadium.would the atmosphere of last tuesday ever be reproduced at a new sterile stadium,would we feel,as we do at anfield,steeped in history and tradition,or will all that be lost.could the kop ever really be transported,could it ever really feel the same.what would it be like at a carling cup third round match against the likes of bury,league games when nobodys up for it.would we ever feel the closeness of the supporters to the team,would it ever feel like home.or will it be the dawning of a new era.will we ever be able to leave the past behind.i'am not sure,what do you think.?
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 84-1106852058 » Sun May 08, 2005 11:41 am

I am glad you brought this up Ihave been thiking about this myself.Personaly I have been in favour of a new stadium but now Iam not sure.I like you am one of the older members of this forum,and have many happy memories of great days and nights there,Ifirst stood on the Kop in 1969-70 [sat on the ledge that ran right around the back wall of the Kop with my Dad standing below me]there was some atmosphere in those days.The humour and sportsmanship was ledgendry and many goalkeepers were inspired to play ther best game of the season in front of the Kop.
The Chelsea game last week was another of the great nights in Anfield history,to be honest I didnt think we would see the like of again.Imean that in the sense of atmosphere,certainly not in what Liverpool fc achieved.For me the old place lost a lot with the advent of the Taylor report,and becoming all seater[something I actually agree with as the fans safety is paramount]
If we were to move stadium we would be starting afresh,would the players still touch the This is Anfield sign because it wouldnt be,there can only ever be one Anfield.What about the ashes of our loved ones scattered around the place and the eternal flame of the 96 who never came home.
When Manchester city moved stadiums Iwas speaking to a City fan who hated the new ground,He said there was no atmoshere at all
and he was still trying to work out which was the home end.
Would a new stadium bring us much needed revenue,or will the costs sore and be a millstone around are necks for years to come.
Istarted this post saying I had been in favour of the new stadium,the more I type the less sure Ihave become
84-1106852058

Postby ScouseTommy » Sun May 08, 2005 12:13 pm

I think your fears are spot on... but theres only one thing that can make a ground rock and thats the fans... it does seem like theres a we only sing in europe rule... i think though that one of the reasons is that when you go to a league game you've got a hell of a lot of people there who dont really care if we win or lose, the type of people you see going home after 80 minutes when it's 0-0, that is beyond me i'm there to the final whistle every time. I usually sit in the upper anfield road end and ive lost count of the times ive seen girls half asleep on the b/f's shoulder not even watching the game and fellas who dont even move when we score i think probably it's because these part time supporters can't get tickets for european games so the ground is full of real supporters who will scream and shout and get behind there team. i may be wrong but just the impression i get. I stood on the kop myself as a kid albeit a bit later in the 1st half of the 90's and without standing being allowed again which will never happen you wont get back to those atmospheres.

Also the songs like "LLIIVVEERRPPOOOOLL" "LLIIVVEERRPPOOOOLL" what the f*ck is that droning slow chant about probably gives the away team more of a boost than us. Bring back "LIVERPOOL" "CLAP" "CLAP" CLAP" "LIVERPOOL" "CLAP" "CLAP" CLAP" and songs like that.

It happened with southampton as well as city when they first moved but i think it's the only way to move forward for the club financially and know the "real" fans can make anfield as loud as the current one may just take a bit of time to settle in.

as for a few other points i think the current anfield is going to be made into a park hopefully encorperating the things you mentioned eternal flame etc.
1892 - 2005
18 League Titles
6 F.A Cups
7 League Cups
5 European Cups
3 UEFA Cups
2 European Super Cups
1 Super Cup
14 Charity Shields
Y.N.W.A
ScouseTommy

Postby Scottbot » Sun May 08, 2005 12:22 pm

kenco wrote:but i'am the first to admit that at some league games this year,anfield as resembled a morgue.lets be honest it seems the suppporters and the players only get themselves motivated for the big games,which is the same at a lot of premiership grounds.but what will happen,when and if we move to a new stadium.would the atmosphere of last tuesday ever be reproduced at a new sterile stadium,would we feel,as we do at anfield,steeped in history and tradition,or will all that be lost.could the kop ever really be transported,could it ever really feel the same

Personally i would prefer the club to stay at Anfield and forget the extra revenue a new stadium would bring. I'm lucky enough to get up to anfield 2/3 times a season and i'm in complete awe from the moment i see the old gound and i'm walking past the stalls and burger on the street. You can feel the history at Anfield like no other stadium. There's no club in world football with more pride in there history than Liverpool Football Club. I worry we will be lost in a new stadium full of executive boxes and, (heaven help us) a big screen to show replays. I also have a mate who is man.city through and through. I've been along to Maine Road a couple of times and then also to the City of Manchester Stadium for our game there last season. I couldn't believe how little noise the City fans made in there (compared to Maine Rd).

On the flip-side, The Stadium of Light is a magnificent stadium and the fans replaced the famous Roker roar with a fantastic atmosphere when Sunderland were up in the prem.

The only other positive with a new stadium for me is the chance to move up the waiting list for a season ticket
:D

I assume it is impossible to expand Anfield in any shape or form?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Sun May 08, 2005 12:42 pm

Scottbot apparently the engineering/planning complexity of expanding Anfield even to 55,000 would make it even more expensive than starting on a new stadium from scratch. I find that hard to believe as well but I think it's because of the need to demolish a load of houses (a la Kemlyn Road)

I saw an artist's impression of what it would look like if we expanded Anfield and it looked SENSATIONAL but I think it's one of those things that's just sadly never gonna happen :(

I'm torn between leaving behind the history and passion of Anfield and going for a new stadium with all the extra revenue and as much as it kills me to think of Anfield being gone, I'd have to say that I'm marginally in favour of a new ground as long as it has one distinct stand at the end which can be distinguished easily as the new Kop, rather than just a big bowl where there are no separate stands as such

The key to atmosphere in a new ground is the people who make it theirs, and our fans are as capable as any in the world of bringing their opwn atmosphere with them wherever they go (well, on eurpoean nights anyway :D )
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matt74 » Sun May 08, 2005 12:45 pm

personally i think it could be a good thing for the club. It's not a stadium that makes the atmosphere it's the people in it. Fans will still go through all the emotions they have at Anfield which means that the new place will create a new history. It will be sad to see Anfield go but i think that as long as the same fans are there the atmosphere will never be lost.
“If you are in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put
it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” Bob Paisley
matt74

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 08, 2005 1:26 pm

i dont think we should leave

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby 2520years » Sun May 08, 2005 1:34 pm

The people make the atmosphere.  That's why the Kop is still awesome, even though it's all-seater.

If we're going to compete with the likes of ManUre and Chelsea, we need plenty of revenue.  I know it's a shame that money is so important in what is essentially a game, but that's the way it is.  We need to compete off the field as well as on it.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 08, 2005 2:19 pm

2520years wrote:The people make the atmosphere.  That's why the Kop is still awesome, even though it's all-seater.

If we're going to compete with the likes of ManUre and Chelsea, we need plenty of revenue.  I know it's a shame that money is so important in what is essentially a game, but that's the way it is.  We need to compete off the field as well as on it.

its been awesome half a dozen times in as many years mate, the atmosphere in general isn`t nothing to write home about.
to me anfield is as much about liverpool as the red shirts are, would you change them to blue? after all it`s the players that make us successful not the colour of the shirts.
money isnt everything mate, it helps but its not the be all and end all - as rafa showed twice in spain.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun May 08, 2005 3:22 pm

Its got to have a kop. End of story. Up the 'pool!

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Mon May 09, 2005 12:21 pm

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:
2520years wrote:The people make the atmosphere.  That's why the Kop is still awesome, even though it's all-seater.

its been awesome half a dozen times in as many years mate, the atmosphere in general isn`t nothing to write home about.
to me anfield is as much about liverpool as the red shirts are, would you change them to blue? after all it`s the players that make us successful not the colour of the shirts.
money isnt everything mate, it helps but its not the be all and end all - as rafa showed twice in spain.

If the atmosphere in the Kop is nothing special then why not move?  Sure, Anfield is part of Liverpool FC, but the new ground will be too.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion