Pass and move - Where has it gone

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Number 9 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:47 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
Number 9 wrote:
Number 9 wrote:John i just read your signature lad! :no

'A new era at Anfield under C.unt and Super C.unt'??

Are you serious or what?

I made the signature when they took over, haven't got round to changing it, should though.

Deffo! :D

I think the new 1 is rather appropiate  :D

A grove is a small group of trees!

I reckon you meant groove? :D

Your missing an 'O' big lad...Hopefully your missus does'nt feel the same! :laugh:
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:50 pm

This clip sums it all up for me...

Liverpool v Barcelona, Nov 20 2001
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srui70ZzPC8

Between 0:13 and 1:37, and 1:50 and 3:00 we don't get a single touch of the ball, and at no point do Barcelona not have an easy passing option. That's 2:47 that the ball is in play, being pinged around at speed, and we can't get a foot on it.

And this was at Anfield, let's not forget.

How easy is this game when you have a team that can pass the ball? These days we call it a good passage of play for us if we string 5 passes together. Bottom line is that we have too many players that just aren't comfortable making and taking passes, even at short range, and have an unforgivable tendency to just get rid of the ball as quickly as possible, which all too often leads to us gifting the ball to the opposition.
ivor_the_injun

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:25 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:This clip sums it all up for me...

Liverpool v Barcelona, Nov 20 2001
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srui70ZzPC8

Between 0:13 and 1:37, and 1:50 and 3:00 we don't get a single touch of the ball, and at no point do Barcelona not have an easy passing option. That's 2:47 that the ball is in play, being pinged around at speed, and we can't get a foot on it.

And this was at Anfield, let's not forget.

How easy is this game when you have a team that can pass the ball? These days we call it a good passage of play for us if we string 5 passes together. Bottom line is that we have too many players that just aren't comfortable making and taking passes, even at short range, and have an unforgivable tendency to just get rid of the ball as quickly as possible, which all too often leads to us gifting the ball to the opposition.

i was at the game, they taught us a lesson, still, nothing compared to what we taught them last year  :D  or what we were capable of during the late 60s to early 90s
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:27 am

Number 9 wrote:
Number 9 wrote:
Number 9 wrote:John i just read your signature lad! :no

'A new era at Anfield under C.unt and Super C.unt'??

Are you serious or what?

I made the signature when they took over, haven't got round to changing it, should though.

Deffo! :D

I think the new 1 is rather appropiate  :D

A grove is a small group of trees!

I reckon you meant groove? :D

Your missing an 'O' big lad...Hopefully your missus does'nt feel the same! :laugh:

all done now i think  :D
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby puroresu » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:09 am

it left when roy evans was screwed out of the club.  Evans had us playing some great stuff.  We were the best team to watch in the league.  When he left we suddenly stopped with the pass and move tradition and have turned into a side who relies on the opposition making mistakes.  We dont cut open sides, we dont move the ball on the floor quickly, we dont use triangle and quick 1 2's.  I have said the football under Rafa has been dire for ages yet people still try and hold this false claim that we actually play good football.  Get real people.  We play defensive, negative football where the emphasis is on winning the ball back.  If we cant make them make mistakes we just hit it long and if that dont work we hit it longer.  This will never change under Rafa as his defensive style has been there since his valencia days.  Put Messi, Ronaldo and Kaka in our team and somehow Rafa would make them look ordinary.
puroresu

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:39 am

puroresu wrote:it left when roy evans was screwed out of the club.  Evans had us playing some great stuff.  We were the best team to watch in the league.  When he left we suddenly stopped with the pass and move tradition and have turned into a side who relies on the opposition making mistakes.  We dont cut open sides, we dont move the ball on the floor quickly, we dont use triangle and quick 1 2's.  I have said the football under Rafa has been dire for ages yet people still try and hold this false claim that we actually play good football.  Get real people.  We play defensive, negative football where the emphasis is on winning the ball back.  If we cant make them make mistakes we just hit it long and if that dont work we hit it longer.  This will never change under Rafa as his defensive style has been there since his valencia days.  Put Messi, Ronaldo and Kaka in our team and somehow Rafa would make them look ordinary.

Evans was part of the set-up from the 60s, he knew how football should be played at this club and that's why we played in the fashion we did under him. I think Houllier tried it and with Tommo's assistance had some success of passing and moving.

But Benitez with no link to our past and history, doesn't understand how football at this club should be played, I think that's one of the biggest problems. There is now no link at all to the Liverpool history. When he took over there was with Moores, but now the yanks own the club, there is no connection to our glory years.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Judge » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:38 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:Speaking as a fan who watched us lift trophy after trophy in the 70s and 80s I know what it's like to watch great passing football as a Liverpool fan.

Many of our more "modern age" fans won't know what pass and move is from a Liverpool prespective. So I'll explain it, it's pretty simple to understand. It's PASS the ball to the nearest fella in the same shirt as you AND then MOVE into space. Not lump it forward and then admire your pass.

So just where on earth has Liverpool's traditional pass and move gone. Now we just seem to be so static and robotic. Surely the ability to pass and move hasn't disappeared from the game off football.

anybody got any reasons for this?

unfortunately for us, you can see great pass and move at the emirates most weeks  :(
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:29 am

there is definitely a few players that could do with brushing up on there passing skills. The back 4 for starters. Someone up there called Hypia a ball player ???
burjennio

Postby Big Niall » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:01 pm

Our back four don't feel that comfortable on the ball. Carra hates having it and so does Hypia. Our midfielders (with the exception of SG) don't show for it enough.

Give me the job - I'll sort it out. :D
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:31 pm

Big Niall wrote:Our back four don't feel that comfortable on the ball. Carra hates having it and so does Hypia. Our midfielders (with the exception of SG) don't show for it enough.

Give me the job - I'll sort it out. :D

BIG NIALL IN "DOESNT BLAME IT ON BENITEZ" SHOCKER - read all about it.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion