Mario Balotelli

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:44 pm

Reg » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:13 pm wrote:Calm down, calm down.

di Maria, bought for 61 million sold for 44m, loss of 16 million.
Paid 200k a week for a year = 10 million.

One player cost United 26 million quid in just 12 months.... how the f is football economics sustainable?

In comparison Balotelli is a fly in the ointment, lets get over it and move on.

If the ointment in your metaphor is the manager  ??? Then I'd have compared Mario to a fish who tried his utmost to swim in snake oil ,the current manager being the snake oil ,rather than this miraculous ointment that will cure all ills.

In truth, if a player as undoubtedly talented as Balotelli leaves ,then its not just him whose failed ,its Liverpool football club.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:19 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:14 pm wrote:Lets face facts here ,he was never going to get the obligatory arm around the shoulder treatment from the current manager ,unlike Sterling who walked around with his tongue firmly embedded in his rip. Its no surprise really that Balotelli's performances for the reds seen an 84% reduction in creative output in comparison to his performances for other teams ,the same for Lambert who also has a 80% drop in creativity.

I think one of the many disappointing things about last season was Brendan bending over backwards to keep Sterling happy when it was obvious to just about everyone that the lad wasnt going to be here next season.
Raheem just wasn't interested, you could see that a mile off so why Brendan kept on playing him God only knows.
We could have been giving someone like Mario or even Markovic an extended run in the side to help them find some form, it just doesn't make sense.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:29 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:19 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:14 pm wrote:Lets face facts here ,he was never going to get the obligatory arm around the shoulder treatment from the current manager ,unlike Sterling who walked around with his tongue firmly embedded in his rip. Its no surprise really that Balotelli's performances for the reds seen an 84% reduction in creative output in comparison to his performances for other teams ,the same for Lambert who also has a 80% drop in creativity.

I think one of the many disappointing things about last season was Brendan bending over backwards to keep Sterling happy when it was obvious to just about everyone that the lad wasnt going to be here next season.
Raheem just wasn't interested, you could see that a mile off so why Brendan kept on playing him God only knows.
We could have been giving someone like Mario or even Markovic an extended run in the side to help them find some form, it just doesn't make sense.

I agree totally ,I think Sterling's constant inclusion in our team last season seriously hampered the development of Markovic ,well that and the managers
ridiculous and misplaced devotion to a player obviously determined to seek  pastures anew.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:56 pm

I think Markovic's performances were the main issue limiting his game time.

He needs to buck up his act this season if he wants to make it here. Next time he gets in the team he needs to show why he deserves to stay there.

Another season like the last one and he's gone.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:26 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:19 pm wrote:

It seems nigh on impossible for some of the players to get any sort of a run to build up some form under Rodgers. Take Markovic for example. He was always going to take time to adapt to the league and he spent more time out of the squad than in it. He didn't even feature much in preseason which is a telling sign as to how much the manager rates him. Going by his performance and body language against Swindon makes me think he knows it as well.

Moreno is another. Often sat on the bench watching Glen johnson playing in his position and now looks to be dropped for Gomez. This is a lad who came off the back of a fantastic season with sevilla who just won the UEFA Cup and now judging from media reports his future is uncertain.

Sakho is entering his 3rd year here and for all his potential he still hasn't established himself as a starter. Last season he only managed 6 more appearances than Toure who is just short of being a decade older.

Far too many players have come here during Rodgers reign and gone nowhere. Personally I think he has a cheek to claim he is a great coach.  :)
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:54 am

Let's not re-write history. Balotelli was played 8-9 games a stretch in the first half of our season. Performed badly, couldn't follow instructions. Contributed to our abysmal run of results. Until the manager didn't have any choice but to have sterling lead the line. Despite not being a striker (which balotelli is) sterling was able to put pressure on opponents which balotelli couldn't. In this scenario if the manager kept playing balotelli to further detriment of our results. He should be sacked. Balotelli was given enough chances. He couldn't follow through.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:54 am

I agree with the sentiment about giving more game time to the likes of Lazar but if he did that I seriously doubt we would have got the 49 million for Sterling this summer!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:00 am

I agree with the sentiment about giving more game time to the likes of Lazar but if he did that I seriously doubt we would have got the 49 million for him this summer!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:05 pm

maguskwt » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:54 am wrote:Let's not re-write history. Balotelli was played 8-9 games a stretch in the first half of our season. Performed badly, couldn't follow instructions. Contributed to our abysmal run of results. Until the manager didn't have any choice but to have sterling lead the line. Despite not being a striker (which balotelli is) sterling was able to put pressure on opponents which balotelli couldn't. In this scenario if the manager kept playing balotelli to further detriment of our results. He should be sacked. Balotelli was given enough chances. He couldn't follow through.

Contrary to popular media belief Balotelli 'albeit from scoring' actually worked his arse off the first four games ,as for Sterling spearheading our attack
he couldn't add pressure to a fucking boiler ,it was a standing joke with rival fans ,but not the first outlandish decision from Captain Anal.

What surprises me is the Kop acknowledged very early on that Mario was a world class talent being played by a man without a clue ,the lad would be pilloried publicly after every game he played by the manager even if he'd been amongst our best performers ,while that ponce Sterling was allowed to stink the place out. ....Balotelli's face never fitted and that's the truth ,less a scapegoat than Pascoe and Marsh.  ???
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:26 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:05 pm wrote:
maguskwt » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:54 am wrote:Let's not re-write history. Balotelli was played 8-9 games a stretch in the first half of our season. Performed badly, couldn't follow instructions. Contributed to our abysmal run of results. Until the manager didn't have any choice but to have sterling lead the line. Despite not being a striker (which balotelli is) sterling was able to put pressure on opponents which balotelli couldn't. In this scenario if the manager kept playing balotelli to further detriment of our results. He should be sacked. Balotelli was given enough chances. He couldn't follow through.

Contrary to popular media belief Balotelli 'albeit from scoring' actually worked his arse off the first four games ,as for Sterling spearheading our attack
he couldn't add pressure to a fucking boiler ,it was a standing joke with rival fans ,but not the first outlandish decision from Captain Anal.

What surprises me is the Kop acknowledged very early on that Mario was a world class talent being played by a man without a clue ,the lad would be pilloried publicly after every game he played by the manager even if he'd been amongst our best performers ,while that ponce Sterling was allowed to stink the place out. ....Balotelli's face never fitted and that's the truth ,less a scapegoat than Pascoe and Marsh.  ???

Balotelli for me is better than Ings and Origi combined. I thought he showed enough last season to warrant a starting spot and I really dont understand all the negativity from the fans. With Sturridge injured, I'd hope to see Balotelli, Benteke and Firmino getting all the minutes for the forward positions. Woul'dnt mind us selling/sending out on loan all of Ings, Origi, Borini to keep that trio + Sturridge.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:52 pm

To be fair mate whilst Mario didn't set the world alight in those games he was nowhere near our worst performer, others like Lovren, Borini, Lambert, Johnson, Sterling, Moreno, Gerrard etc often played much worse (as you can see from the player ratings thread).
What surprised me looking through those player ratings from last season though was how poor Coutinho played early on, because he ended up player of the year you tend to think he played well all season but he only started to come good when Sterling was moved up top. So whilst Mario's performances were often no worse than most of his team mates maybe it could be argued that his style of play didn't bring the best out of the players around him.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:00 pm

After his debut Balotelli scored a delightful little goal in his third game for the reds against Ludogretz ,and was the Kops man of the match against the Bitterz
he was awful against Basel ,but certainly not our worst performer as many could have took that mantle. The next game against WBA he was dropped  to the bench and replaced a largely ineffective Lambert in the 64th minute....Meanwhile stats show that Mario has had more shots saved than any striker in the Premiership ,and is third behind Aquero and Pelle for most shots on target. Next game against QPR he is involved in everything and was unlucky in not  getting  on the score sheet ,next he is arguably the only Liverpool player in the game against Madrid at our place who looks willing to get stuck in ,he's withdrawn at half time apparently for swapping shirts  ???  Chelsea at Anfield we lose 1-2 after a perfect start courtesy of Can ,Mario's worst game in the red shirt too easily frustrated by Chelsea's nullifying tactics. Injured for Palace as we're annihilated 3-1 at Selhurst ,Mario misses the next five games Ludogretz
Stoke at home ,and Leicester away  Mackems at home ,Basel at Anfield ...He is reintroduced as a substitute for Lallana for our humiliation at home to the mancs ,immediately we look more of a threat. He misses the Bournemouth match and the game against the  Gunnerz ,he's back for the Burnley game but remains on the bench.

Of course this is only Balotelli's performances seen from my perspective ,but after his debut  against Spudz were his link up play with Sturridge looked extremely promising ,the manager then stated after the game and I quote "this team has not turned into "the Mario Balotelli show" after that 
statement the pattern was always going to be familiar....The fella never stood a chance.  :(
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:13 pm

From the outside looking in you got the impression last season that at times Brendan and some of the other members of the committee weren't exactly seeing eye to eye. I think one or two players inadvertently found themselves in the middle of that power struggle, Mario included.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:15 pm

Maybe that doesn't tell the whole story. I've read James Pearce on twitter state that Balotelli missed plenty of training last season for pitiful excuses.

If the guy isn't putting it in in training then he doesn't deserve to play, end of.

It's not as if his performances were great when he did play. For me they weren't good or even ok. His return of one league goal is shocking whatever way you choose to look at it.

We are better cutting our losses here I think. I would only consider giving him another chance if we have no offers of a permanent transfer. The Italian clubs can stick their loan deals where the sun don't shine. We hopefully learned our lesson on that one over Aquilani. Agree a loan with view to buy and they then always try and negotiate down the agreed fee when it comes down to it.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:35 pm

JC_81 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:15 pm wrote:Maybe that doesn't tell the whole story. I've read James Pearce on twitter state that Balotelli missed plenty of training last season for pitiful excuses.

If the guy isn't putting it in in training then he doesn't deserve to play, end of.

It's not as if his performances were great when he did play. For me they weren't good or even ok. His return of one league goal is shocking whatever way you choose to look at it.

We are better cutting our losses here I think. I would only consider giving him another chance if we have no offers of a permanent transfer. The Italian clubs can stick their loan deals where the sun don't shine. We hopefully learned our lesson on that one over Aquilani. Agree a loan with view to buy and they then always try and negotiate down the agreed fee when it comes down to it.

I hear something similar.

Basically Mario had to give a number of assurances to us, in regards to his commitment, work ethic and willingness to work hard and be an example for the young lads. From what I can tell he got bored of that rather quickly.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion