LUCAS LEIVA - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:53 pm

Yes your theory is far more likely

We see it all the time - players signing new contracts just so they can be used in transfer bargaining .
Last edited by Benny The Noon on Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benny The Noon

Postby neil » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:03 pm

mine is conjecture aswell, the difference is you claim to know.
Last edited by neil on Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:05 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:We see it all the time - players signing new contracts just so they can be used in transfer bargaining .

correct
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:07 pm

So name them - who are the players that sign contracts just so they become bargaining chips in a transfer - if it's the more likely scenario then there must be loads .
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:10 pm

neil wrote:mine is conjecture aswell, the difference is you claim to know.

No I use common sense and the evidence we have seen over the last 30 odd years . A manager comes out and says how high he rates the player and says how well he is doing and says how it's good the player is finally getting some credit - then the manager gives the player a new contract - so everything points to the fact the manager wants him to stay at the club for longer - anything else is pure nonsense with no backing .
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:15 pm

Just as a little reminder for you here is what the club said when he signed

Liverpool today confirmed midfielder Lucas Leiva has signed a new long-term contract at Anfield.

The 24-year old, who signed for the Reds in July 2007, has put pen to paper on a new deal which secures his future with the Reds.

Director of Football Damien Comolli said: "I am very, very pleased. We have been talking for a few months now, ever since I arrived at the club.

"One of the first things I did after I arrived was to look at the contract situation and to see where Lucas was at. I knew we had to do something quickly because we couldn't afford to lose him and didn't want to lose him.

"If you look at his playing record he started 46 games last year in all competitions and this year it will be between 45 and 50. He is exactly what we want. He has the right mentality, quality and attitude. He understands what this club is all about and even though the discussions went on for quite a long time he always said to me 'I want to stay and we need to find a solution'.

"Considering his performances on the pitch with us and with Brazil, and his attitude around the place - off the pitch he's a great professional, totally committed and dedicated and it's always team first when you speak to Lucas - that's why we wanted him to stay. The celebration at Sunderland with the players after he'd had his baby shows that the other players were very happy for him and shows he is a team player.

"He could have gone to many clubs because he is highly rated around Europe, but he always said he wanted to play for Liverpool."

After securing the transfer window signings of Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez in January, Comolli insists today's news is a further example of the Reds moving in the right direction.

"This shows stability," he added. "What we did during the window showed ambition and what we have done with Lucas - and other players we are talking to - shows stability. We want to keep the core of the players we have who are performing and performing well."

Manager Kenny Dalglish was equally as pleased that his Brazilian midfielder had agreed a new deal.

"We are delighted," said the boss."He is a smashing lad to have around the football club but he hasn't been signed for that, he has been signed because of what he does on the pitch. Certainly since I came in he has been a great asset to the team and has done tremendously well.

"He's got wee Pedro to look after and now a new contract as well, and we're delighted for him because he's a really honest, genuine fella and that's reflected in the way he plays.

"He's happy to be here and play for the club and he's getting everything that he deserves at the moment - including being a fixture in the Brazilian team - because of what he's done on the pitch."
Benny The Noon

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:51 pm

Reg wrote:Most improved player of the season?

To go from sh'it to average is an improvement
But fair play to Lucas, he has improved and is at last becoming a decent and effective player. Lets hope he keeps it up and helps us to become a force again
Thommo's perm

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:28 pm

Its no secret Birmingham have been our bogey team for a long time ,so the fact Bowyer and Ferguson were practically snuffed out by the brilliant Lucas should warrant the Lad a touch more credit . I also believe it is no secret that our own Stevie G hates playing against Bowyer and Ferguson and this has sometimes often led to our eventual capitulation in Midfield .... I also  agree with St Mick that in the fullness of time Lucas will make a great Liverpool Captain as well as an excellent choice for  Brazilian one ...... Preposterous claims ?  I don't think so ...
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:40 pm

I think he is very overrated by our fans, that is just my opinion
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:56 pm

metalhead wrote:I think he is very overrated by our fans, that is just my opinion

There are none so blind as those that will not listen...
:rasp
Thommo's perm

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:23 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:Its no secret Birmingham have been our bogey team for a long time ,so the fact Bowyer and Ferguson were practically snuffed out by the brilliant Lucas should warrant the Lad a touch more credit . I also believe it is no secret that our own Stevie G hates playing against Bowyer and Ferguson and this has sometimes often led to our eventual capitulation in Midfield .... I also  agree with St Mick that in the fullness of time Lucas will make a great Liverpool Captain as well as an excellent choice for  Brazilian one ...... Preposterous claims ?  I don't think so ...

Hold up.  Ferguson didn't play on Saturday.  (Lucas was excellent, mind you).
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby neil » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:18 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:Its no secret Birmingham have been our bogey team for a long time ,so the fact Bowyer and Ferguson were practically snuffed out by the brilliant Lucas should warrant the Lad a touch more credit . I also believe it is no secret that our own Stevie G hates playing against Bowyer and Ferguson and this has sometimes often led to our eventual capitulation in Midfield .... I also  agree with St Mick that in the fullness of time Lucas will make a great Liverpool Captain as well as an excellent choice for  Brazilian one ...... Preposterous claims ?  I don't think so ...

lol, he's done it again hahaha  :D
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:14 pm

Bad Bob wrote:

:blush: Well spotted Bob . My second blip in seven years ....
Who knows this could even result in the lesser spotted Neil collapsing into a fit of  spontaneous    Guffawing    .... bless    :laugh:
Last edited by RED BEERGOGGLES on Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:22 pm

neil wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

lol, he's done it again hahaha  :D

Done it for you little fella ...Done it for you ... I mean, I know its obviously not as noteworthy as being outed as a racist ,but there you go ....forums eh .... Anyway all joking aside ,you have your little wank behind the bike sheds son ,who am I to begrudge you that .... go for it
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:33 pm

I least I dont come on here tryin to 'hold court' lettin on "me and me mates have decided to boycott tonights game" when the fixture was on a different day or claim to witness my current idol play ferguson off the park when he wasnt even in the squad :D
Last edited by neil on Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion