Liverpool strikers - Your thoughts ..

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Chelsea forever. » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:44 am

Liverpool has 3 first team strikers.

Fernando | Cisse | Baros

Mellor and le tallic are backup – and might only be used towards the end of the season and in the Carling,FA cup runs.

Fernando – Was signed last season but failed to impress. He was a good active player early on for Madrid and did well at Monaco. But ever since his move back to Madrid his performances have only diminished and his touch is lost. Everyone thought that with a full pre-season he would be back to full fitness and raring to go, but even Rafa has mentioned recently that Fernando is not at his best and needs to be more lethal and fit. He didn’t do much in the game against Boro, and personally I believe that this is a bet Rafa might not win.

Cisse – This boy is quick, very quick. But questions have started to arise on his first touch, off the ball movement and striking capabilities. Watching the boro game its clear that he isn’t the answer to your right side. He was as lost as if you played Carra for striker! He has a fierce shot, and iv been tipping him to be top scorer for you, but after a lot of thought and sharp viewing of his movement and other clips, im not sure if he is the ‘Complete striker’. In other words – what can he offer other than pace? Im still perplexed on this issue, a part of me wants to believe he can go on and do it, but a part says he has a poor touch and he will fail to hold up the ball. I think I need a few more games to decide on this one, but having double thoughts is never a good sign.

Baros – The only one who will put his head down and strike the ball. Always eager to score goals and always ready to run around. But this is not what Rafa wants (apparently). He wants someone who can hold the ball up and offer a bit more, and that’s the reason I believe Baros is on his way out.

So what is the answer for Liverpool to ensure that the striker contributes with 20 + goals this season?

Owen – IF he comes, he might be able to score a whole lot of goals. But im still to understand the system and how he would fit in. Will Rafa use a 4-3-3, 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1. Boro was a 4-5-1 with Zenden and Garcia on the flanks. But im not convinced that’s Garcias best position, and if there isn’t a balance on the right then there is no point playing Zenden on the left as a half tactic is just going to unsettle the team.

What are your thoughts? Will Fernando live up? Will Cisse stay? Will Owen come, and score 20+ goals?

What formation do you believe will be the constant, and who will play out right instead of Garcia?

Thoughts on a postcard ……

Chelsea Forever.
Chelsea forever.

Postby Ciggy » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:53 am

For starters Le Tallec has gone on loan to Sunderland, and we have 4 strikers we have the wonderful lanky Peter crouch :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chelsea forever. » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:56 am

I knew I was forgeting something!

Crouchy - This fellow is a half season wonder. He did a lot for Southampton and fought a lot for the team. He showed that he can score goals and give the team a different edge. He might be the one for Rafa's 4-5-1 which quickly changes into a 4-3-3, being the perfect striker and target man. But can he do it against big teams (dont think he scored against solid defensis) and can he play against a highly tactical side in Europe?
Chelsea forever.

Postby Ciggy » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:03 am

He wasnt bought for europe i dont think mate, he was bought for them tricky away fixtures against the likes of Blackburn and bolton, on cold winter nights in midweek, cause our players suffered major hangovers coming back from europe, plus all our injuries we had last season.
carra said he was the worst player he had to defend against last season and he scored 2 past us.

On a separate note, whats your honest opinion of drogba, I must admit I admired him as a player when he played for France, but any admiration i had for him has gone since last season.
I think you payed way over the odds for him, do you think he will be better this season?
I also think crespo is superb, he was great in the CL and only for his wonder goal on sunday you would have got a draw against Wigan.
thought?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chelsea forever. » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:13 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:On a separate note, whats your honest opinion of drogba, I must admit I admired him as a player when he played for France, but any admiration i had for him has gone since last season.
I think you payed way over the odds for him, do you think he will be better this season?
I also think crespo is superb, he was great in the CL and only for his wonder goal on sunday you would have got a draw against Wigan.
thought?

I was furious with Drogba last season. I felt he rolled around on the pitch a bit too much, cried about silly fouls, had bad movement and a bad touch, and didnt make the most of his opportunities.

However, he was injured (twice), didnt have a pre-season and did end up scoring 16 goals + setting up a lot for the rest.

He brings a lot to the team, he is strong and powerful and can unsettle a lot of defenders. He needs to work on his touch and movement. But I feel he will score quite a few goals this time around (hope im right). Jose seems to like him a lot and I can see why, his heading capabilities are superb and he really is a handful for defenders. Only if he makes the most of his chances he should be sorted.

Crespo is one of my favorite players. I have not experienced an emotion like I did when he scored against Wigan. A part of me was overjoyed, a part stunned and a part wanted to cry. We could have easily lost the game, but from a hopeful kick by Cech, to a header down by Drogba, Crespo (a right footer) produced a wonder strike with his left foot into the top corner, it was magnificent. Simply unstoppable ... simply superb. I hope his troubled times are behind him and he finds his place in our squad. He is no doubt one of the best strikers in the World and at Wigan he showed what he can do.

Chelsea Forever.
Chelsea forever.

Postby Chelsea forever. » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:20 am

"Do the English press speak about Cisse?" questioned Houllier. "They are wrong."

http://footballmsn.skysports.com/list.as....iership
Chelsea forever.

Postby Ciggy » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:25 am

Well Im glad houllier has quashed them rumours, Cisse is amazing I would hate for him to leave, I also like Baros, but if he is not in the boss's plans he will have to leave, he also talks to the press to much and as you know managers dont like that.
If Michael owen comes back he can partner any of our strikers, Crouch, Cisse and Morientes.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:30 am

You always post threads about liverpool,then 2 or 3 posts in, turn it round so you get us talking about Chelsea...Drogba,Crespo   etc.........listen mate ...i,ve said it before i dont give a sod about Chelsea  take it somewhere else.Whats wrong dont you get "any attention " on your own forum
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chelsea forever. » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:08 pm

If you try and actually READ the thread, it was "Cisses_gonna_get_you" who started talking about Chelsea, not me. I only answered the questions he asked me.
Chelsea forever.

Postby El Nino_#9 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:09 pm

he has got a point! :D
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:19 pm

Chelsea forever. wrote:If you try and actually READ the thread, it was "Cisses_gonna_get_you" who started talking about Chelsea, not me. I only answered the questions he asked me.

'He' is a she.
:wwww
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby Chelsea forever. » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:22 pm

Ok. Did not know.
Chelsea forever.

Postby Ciggy » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:23 pm

2520years wrote:
Chelsea forever. wrote:If you try and actually READ the thread, it was "Cisses_gonna_get_you" who started talking about Chelsea, not me. I only answered the questions he asked me.

'He' is a she.
:wwww

:D No CIGGY doesnt have to put the toilet seat up

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:24 pm

drummerphil wrote:You always post threads about liverpool,then 2 or 3 posts in, turn it round so you get us talking about Chelsea...Drogba,Crespo   etc.........listen mate ...i,ve said it before i dont give a sod about Chelsea  take it somewhere else.Whats wrong dont you get "any attention " on your own forum

Stop being such an a$$hole

i didnt think that he did anything wrong, Cisse's gonna get ya started the Chelsea topic and almost all of the other times in past threads he didnt start them either, other people bring it up and then the whole thread turns into everyone vs Chelsea Forever.
Most people just cant resist rubbing the 5 CL trophies and the fact that they let money run down the drain.

I agree that sometimes Chelsea Forever can be annoying but most of the time he says legitimate things and is a active, productive member of this forum. I do agree with him that this forum should not try to flame anyone who is not a Liverpool supporter.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:26 pm

Chelsea forever. wrote:Ok. Did not know.

I was just being obnoxious.  However, the picture at the bottom of her posts is a bit of a give-away.
:D
My earliest memory.
2520years

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion