Liverpool close to lucas deal - Another midfielder?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Fri May 11, 2007 3:07 pm

Despite Rafa says it's a signing for the first team it might be a progressive introduction to the first team, a bit like Agger yesteryear.

I'd like to clarify whether he's an attacking midfielder as I've read I think in the Rafa quotes, or a defensive midfielder as I've read to other posters and in the article in portuguese upper in this thread. A volante, as far as I can tell, is not an attacking midfielder.

The article in portuguese highlights that the negotiation have been kept in secret, and things rushed up after a recent muscle injury of the player. The article highlights aswell, that it's the most expensive player sold from that league since Rochemback went to Barcelona back in 2001.

To be honest, it's an important amount, hope he's good. Or at least better than Rochemback. A good example to remember of how very promising players might not confirm their expectations.

P.S. I thought that I read somewhere when I browsed quickly the thread hours ago that he was attacking mid, but I've re-read it and I was wrong. Rafa has stated he wants Alonso and Mascherano I think, so this news is great, hopefully next season we'll have a deep-competitive squad RIGHT FROM THE START of the season, and we don't have to look for desperate reinforcements in winter.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri May 11, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby monkey 20 » Fri May 11, 2007 3:14 pm

i think he's a player a bit similar to carrick in his positional play, maybe a little more defensive...
monkey 20

Postby red37 » Fri May 11, 2007 3:41 pm

Sabre wrote:P.S. I thought that I read somewhere when I browsed quickly the thread hours ago that he was attacking mid, but I've re-read it and I was wrong.

Brazilian coup

The club will welcome Brazilian Under-20 international Lucas Leiva in the summer after securing the midfielder's services from Grêmio FBPA in a deal thought to be worth €7.5m. "He is a player with a lot of quality who we watched playing for the Brazil Under-20s," said Benítez. "He will be ready to join the squad from the start of next season. He likes to be an attacking midfielder but he has many qualities." Lucas has registered four goals in 32 games for Grêmio in his homeland.

Re: UEFA.com

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby JeffJustice » Fri May 11, 2007 3:46 pm

Damn, 8 mil is alot to spend on a pretty unknown player. Looks like a promising player. I doubt he was bought to be put straight into the first team, but all I've heard about him is good things.
JeffJustice

Postby Gremio Gaucho » Fri May 11, 2007 3:48 pm

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1w9t4_lucas-pezzini-compilation
Im a Gremio fan here from the pampas and the news is oficial from the liverpool site and congratulations to you he's a great talent! He can play like a number 5, a defensive midfilder but he's more like a cesc fabregas style, a number 8 cause he's very technical and score goals playmake and and you will see... he will be in the first team and soon as you imagine.
Gremio Gaucho

Postby Sabre » Fri May 11, 2007 3:51 pm

Gremio Gaucho wrote:http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1w9t4_lucas-pezzini-compilation
Im a Gremio fan here from the pampas and the news is oficial from the liverpool site and congratulations to you he's a great talent! He can play like a number 5, a defensive midfilder but he's more like a cesc fabregas style, a number 8 cause he's very technical and score goals playmake and and you will see... he will be in the first team and soon as you imagine.

Welcome

Would you be so kind to tell us more about him? what are his strenghts and weak points? Has he ever played in the right or left midfield? could he be used in that positions?
Last edited by Sabre on Fri May 11, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri May 11, 2007 3:51 pm

Sorry lads, forgot to mention, Lucas is a bright starlet down here and local clubs would loved to have snapped him up but couldnt afford the price.

As to whether he's attacking midfield or defensive midfield - he's Brazilian - what do you expect?? !!
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri May 11, 2007 3:53 pm

Reg wrote:Sorry lads, forgot to mention, Lucas is a bright starlet down here and local clubs would loved to have snapped him up but couldnt afford the price.

As to whether he's attacking midfield or defensive midfield - he's Brazilian - what do you expect?? !!

Hahahaha  :D I see where you're coming from but that's a bit of stereotype, Brazil has given to football genuine defensive midfielders like Mauro Silva
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Fri May 11, 2007 3:53 pm

Gremio Gaucho wrote:http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1w9t4_lucas-pezzini-compilation

I really hope so!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Fri May 11, 2007 4:01 pm

If you scroll down on this link, you will see some highlights.

Hope the scout is not the same one who recommended Paletta:

http://www.recontragolazo.com/?p=339
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby peterc1992 » Fri May 11, 2007 4:06 pm

Hes a central defensive midfielder,we dont need another one..........But id love to sign him as i think hes a great prospect!
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri May 11, 2007 4:09 pm

That link won't reassure anyone as Brazilian club football no better than Tranmere on a good day.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri May 11, 2007 4:10 pm

Cheers for that video Effes. Promising. In a video like that you can't say how he'd do the holding mid rol, but some things are interesting, he has a nice ball conduction, he preffers the right foot but his left foot is not "dead", and it strikes me that he could perfectly play as a right midfielder. And looks like he likes entering the box too!

Anyway, the game is different in Brazil, the pitch is slower, he's very young, and let's be patient. But it seems a good signing
Last edited by Sabre on Fri May 11, 2007 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri May 11, 2007 4:10 pm

This is now confirmed on the official site...no fee mentioned, but if it does turn out to be in the £8m region, then we should brace ourselves for some explosive signings. Splashing that sort of cash in an area where we're sorted...you can only imagine who Rafa has in mind for the positions where we're not!

----------------
Liverpool are set to sign Brazilian midfielder Lucas Leiva from Gremio.

The 20-year old midfielder will join the Reds at the start of next season after Rafael Benitez beat a host of European clubs for his signature.

"The deal with the player and his club is almost done and I am really pleased he is coming to us," said Benitez.

Leiva, Lucas"He is the captain of the Brazil under-20 side and won the Golden Boot in his country last year so we know he has quality and we also believe he has the mentality and the character you need to do well in England.

"He can play as a holding midfielder but he can also get from box to box and so I am looking forward to seeing him score goals for Liverpool in the future.

"A lot of clubs in England and Spain were asking about him but our scouting department has again been working really hard and it's good that he's coming to us.

"He will arrive in the summer and then will start adapting to football in this country. We know it can take time but I think he has the quality to be putting pressure on Gerrard, Mascherano, Xabi and Sissoko next season."
ivor_the_injun

Postby gato_busta » Fri May 11, 2007 4:54 pm

I finally got one rumor right! :D
"Jugadores hay muchos, ídolos muy pocos"

Descansa en paz Claudia (9/10/1984 - 11/25/2007)
gato_busta

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion