The lamest bit of business lfc will ever do - The £8m + real right midfielder deal

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sean » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:03 pm

First of all, Real Madrid are probabaly swigging champagne and laughing at us tonight after the deal they've pulled off.

However, I am very annoyed with Owen.  For 16 months he salled over signing his contract.  He constantly made up excuses (e.g. agent on holiday).  All this time his value was depreciating.  Benitez wanted to keep him, but Owen had no intention of staying.  He said he wouldn't do a bosman but he almost did and would have.  Thanks for the 2001 F.A. cup Mikey but your a two faced smug ******.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby XSD » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:04 pm

The word in Madrid seems to be that Nunez is "not a bad player".
Certainly not world class, not highly rated enough to make the starting line up of a top club over there either it seems.
I cannot see how by this description - which I saw on skysports, quote:
"the consensus in Madrid is that Nunez is not a bad player" - can lead to him being part of a deal for a player valued at 25m by his club, when only 8m will be paid in cash along with him.
Doesn't sound like a 17m rated winger to me..might not be much better than Murphy.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 72-1090627431 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:22 pm

stop blaming the board for the deal, they were put in this position by Owen who wanted to bugger off, so thats all they could get for him.
72-1090627431

Postby sinema » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:33 pm

This is a quote from today's Times.
"Real are notoriously awkward negotiators, using any means possible to settle deals on their own terms, but Liverpool are happy with the package on offer for Owen, who had shown little desire to extend a contract which is due to expire next summer.  Indeed, the breakthrough was being portrayed last night as a triumph by the Merseyside club, who initiated the deal, even though it represents a concerted gamble by Rafael Benitez, the Liverpool coach, who was determined to offload Owen.
"Sources have revealed that Benitez had concerns about Owen's influence on a clique of English players at the club, a fact that also explains his sale of Danny Murphy to Charlton Athletic this week.  Even more intriguingly, it appears that Benitez prefers Djibril Cisse to Owen as a player".

My own opinion is that Owen is nowhere near the player he was and events will prove that we have the best of the deal.
sinema

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:39 pm

I must admit at being disippointed with owens attitude towards the offer of extending his contract with LFC. He kept the club(and fans) waiting so long, then with the new season almost upon us he decides he wants out, this after leading us up the garden path with his "Im so near to signing a new contract" statement, it smacks of a two faced turnabout! by him. I hope for his sake he has made the right decision its a big gamble when you think he might end up sitting it out on the bench (remember Mc Mannaman?) picking splinters out of his ******!!. :oh:
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Quimby » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:39 pm

the return of beavis wrote:Its a ****** joke, our board have betrayed us again, he was valued at £30 Million not too long ago.
£8 Million is a joke, even the £10 Million plus Morientes or E'to would have been a snip but this takes the p1ss
And do you all honestly think our board will invest in another well known world class striker to replace him?

From Beavis

How did we go from £10million and a world class striker three days ago to £8million and a player nobody has heard of now? I'm not so much upset by Owen leaving (though its sad), but how bad the deal seems to be.
Quimby

Postby RedorDead » Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:55 pm

The fact is that this is not too bad a deal for Liverpool under the circumstances. An in contract Owen is worth £25mill easy but in 3 months he was free to talk to who he wanted and leave for nothing at the end of the season....in effect if we had refused this deal we would have been paying £8mill and a winger for one season's service off Michael Owen. With his injury track record and lack of desire that was not at all worth it.
It is sad that players and their agents have so much power these days, Michael should have signed a long time ago and I still think that he would have signed but the board and Raffa decided that they wouldn't be held to ransom and rather than p*ss Owen off even more and risk him doing a Mcmannaman they approached Madrid and sold him...we started the "bidding" at £10mill and Morientes and they came back with £4mill and a player...we end up at £8mill and a young winger so that is just the nature of negotiations. Yeah it sucks, yeah Madrid have a bargain, but that is sadly the nature of football today.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion