How far away are we? - From a title winning squad

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kop king » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:39 pm

I would say we are not that far off but we need some players in, in the summer and get some players out.

The players that need to go are Garcia, Aurellio, Hyypia and Fowler.

The only deffinate starters for next season are Carragher Agger Gerrard Finnan Alonso Reina and Riise.

That is only 4 players and that isn't good enough. We need 2 quality wingers, and 2 qulity strikers like Huntelaar and Villa.

And get a 2 new defenders in because whenever we get an injury at the back it costs us points. So why not get a full back who can play both sides and a new centre back.

The 2 wingers that we should bring are Arjen Robben and Aaron Lennon or SWP. Theses two will be good because they play for themselves and will take players on and put the ball in the box and pennat and who has played on the left hasn't done this.

So with some quality signings we will win the league next season. Watch out Fergie and Mourinho's replacement.:)
"Fook Off Chelsea FC, You aint got no history"
kop king

Postby stmichael » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:41 pm

Ladeulcateg wrote:Fowler's been criminally underused

Couldn't agree more.

He is still the best player we have in the penalty area by a mile. He is inventive around the box and is prepared to take a chance with a killer pass or daft effort on goal. He has miles better movement than all 3 of the others onto a crossed ball.
Obviously he cannot cover the ground like Bellamy or Kuyt defensively but what do you want from a striker ? Efforts on goal or tackling full backs. At the moment we can't have both !

If we are on top in a game with a team penned in their own half he's still my first pick and there's only one striker in the squad I want a half chance to drop to if we need a goal to win against PSV.

Anyone remember Benfica at home last year and Crouch's dismal run going into that ? I don't want to see that happening again with Kuyt playing Crouch's role. I'm not saying Fowler should start every game at all but I do think he should be getting much more game time.

It's a striker's movement that makes a decent cross great.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:43 pm

stmichael wrote:
Ladeulcateg wrote:Fowler's been criminally underused

Couldn't agree more.

He is still the best player we have in the penalty area by a mile. He is inventive around the box and is prepared to take a chance with a killer pass or daft effort on goal. He has miles better movement than all 3 of the others onto a crossed ball.
Obviously he cannot cover the ground like Bellamy or Kuyt defensively but what do you want from a striker ? Efforts on goal or tackling full backs. At the moment we can't have both !

If we are on top in a game with a team penned in their own half he's still my first pick and there's only one striker in the squad I want a half chance to drop to if we need a goal to win against PSV.

Anyone remember Benfica at home last year and Crouch's dismal run going into that ? I don't want to see that happening again with Kuyt playing Crouch's role. I'm not saying Fowler should start every game at all but I do think he should be getting much more game time.

It's a striker's movement that makes a decent cross great.

:nod   here here. complete agreement with both of you
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1174245250 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:45 pm

Redman in wales wrote:
Ladeulcateg wrote:Right footballers don't ever become something they aren't. Agger will never become something he's not. No player will ever be average then all of a sudden become world class. It doesn't happen.

All the idiots will tell you about Carragher. The fact is that Carragher has improved ever so slightly and has gained confidence, but in general he shows now what he shown as an 18 year old. He still has the same limitations, he still has the same strengths and qualities. He's still a good player just as he was then.

Players will never become something they aren't. End of.

so you're basically saying that a player at 18 or 19 will only ever improve 'slightly' and will never improve enough to go from good to excellent or excellent to world-class

if so why did we just bring in 4 18/19 year olds in january? - if they're not good enough at 19 - whats gonna change them by 20 or 21?

and why are you so harsh on Agger anyway? - nobody else agrees with you. st mick mentioned in this thread that agger and carra are just as solid as rio and vidic. Everyone else thinks agger is a good defender and should be alongside carra next season.

Yes thats exactly what I'm saying you're correct.

Out of all the young players Rafa brought in why aren't ANY of them even making the bench and pressing for starts? Don't give me age as a :censored: reason either.

Theres alot of hope on Hobbs, Anderson and Hammill, so far the only one who looks like he stands half a chance is Hobbs and I am not convinced at all.

Owen at 17, Fowler at 18, Carragher at 18, Gerrard at 19, Stephen Wright at 19, Thompson at 19, McManaman at 19... They all pushed there way into the squads on a regular basis in some cases the first team.

Thats just to use Liverpool as an example. Then theres United... and West Ham, Beckham 19, Giggs 18, Scholes 19, Butt 18, Nevilles, 19, Rooney 16, Ferdinand and Carrick 18, Lampard 19, Cole and Defoe 17.

Also I'm not harsh on Agger at all. The fact no-one agrees with me is down the detachment in reality and the failiure to see whats infront of them. Just as the thing with Baros was and with Sissoko. After a year of me saying Baros wasn't good enough, people finally started to see it, after a year of me saying Sissoko isnt' the new Vieira, people are finally starting to see this also. Now its going to be the same again with Agger.

Teams next season will spot that he is weak arially and they will exploit it making him look worse than he actually is as with happens with the weakest links in good sides.

Daniel Agger strides out with the ball, but his passing is quite sloppy, his arial ability is poor, he's certainly not the quickest over 10 yards like everyone will have you believe and his communication and desire to go and press the ball rather than hold a position worry me greatly which is the reason I want a top class defender like Woodgate signed rather than having to "cope" with a decent player at the back.

Agger would't get into Arsenal, Chelsea or United's team. Not even close. Carragher would struggle and the difference in Carragher and Agger is there for all to see.
76-1174245250

Postby grayghost » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:45 pm

I agree wiith the 4 new players we need. but we need a world class talent like the mancs gunners cheski have all got i would go for Tevez.:) :)
grayghost

Postby 76-1174245250 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:48 pm

kop king wrote:I would say we are not that far off but we need some players in, in the summer and get some players out.

The players that need to go are Garcia, Aurellio, Hyypia and Fowler.

The only deffinate starters for next season are Carragher Agger Gerrard Finnan Alonso Reina and Riise.

That is only 4 players and that isn't good enough. We need 2 quality wingers, and 2 qulity strikers like Huntelaar and Villa.

And get a 2 new defenders in because whenever we get an injury at the back it costs us points. So why not get a full back who can play both sides and a new centre back.

The 2 wingers that we should bring are Arjen Robben and Aaron Lennon or SWP. Theses two will be good because they play for themselves and will take players on and put the ball in the box and pennat and who has played on the left hasn't done this.

So with some quality signings we will win the league next season. Watch out Fergie and Mourinho's replacement.:)

If I hadn't been banned you wuold be getting an absoloute earful and I am not going to go into detail on such a rubbish and clueless post.

All I'll say is why don't we swap Crouch for Ronalinho, Bellamy for Henry and £25million, Palletta for Toure and Gallas and then get Ronaldo and Robben in for Pennant and Gonzalez. Also, while we're at it offer 50p for Alves and Ashley Cole so we'll win the league. :laugh:
76-1174245250

Postby grayghost » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:50 pm

I think your wrong mate i think agger will only get better and better he has't done bad give him a chance to grow up and mature before you label him not good enough.:( :(
grayghost

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:57 pm

Ladeulcateg wrote:Out of all the young players Rafa brought in why aren't ANY of them even making the bench and pressing for starts? Don't give me age as a reason either.

Theres alot of hope on Hobbs, Anderson and Hammill, so far the only one who looks like he stands half a chance is Hobbs and I am not convinced at all.

Owen at 17, Fowler at 18, Carragher at 18, Gerrard at 19, Stephen Wright at 19, Thompson at 19, McManaman at 19... They all pushed there way into the squads on a regular basis in some cases the first team.

Thats just to use Liverpool as an example. Then theres United... and West Ham, Beckham 19, Giggs 18, Scholes 19, Butt 18, Nevilles, 19, Rooney 16, Ferdinand and Carrick 18, Lampard 19, Cole and Defoe 17.

Also I'm not harsh on Agger at all. The fact no-one agrees with me is down the detachment in reality and the failiure to see whats infront of them.

So you definately know more than Rafa Benitez who bought these players in do you?
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1174245250 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:59 pm

grayghost wrote:I think your wrong mate i think agger will only get better and better he has't done bad give him a chance to grow up and mature before you label him not good enough.:( :(

So in the meantime we have to put up with a player who's not good enough because you want to see if he'll all of a sudden become something he's not? :laugh:

G
E
T

A

C
L
U
E

L
A
D :D
76-1174245250

Postby 76-1174245250 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:04 pm

Redman in wales wrote:
Ladeulcateg wrote:Out of all the young players Rafa brought in why aren't ANY of them even making the bench and pressing for starts? Don't give me age as a reason either.

Also I'm not harsh on Agger at all. The fact no-one agrees with me is down the detachment in reality and the failiure to see whats infront of them.

So you definately know more than Rafa Benitez who bought these players in do you?

Another typical arguement.

:laugh:

Ok, Benitez signed Crouch, Bellamy and Kuyt. They must be better than Ashton and Anelka.

You know whats even more laughable? Look at Benitez transfer signings. Four quality players he's signed. Fowler, Reina, Alonso and Morientes. One he couldn't get the best out of, one he never uses.

Try coming up with a decent arguement which includes knowledge, fact, experience and opinion rather than pathetic attempts to be little someones knowledge of something.

Stick to rugby lad, you obviously know nothing about football.
76-1174245250

Postby stmichael » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:06 pm

Ladeulcateg wrote:G
E
T

A

C
L
U
E

L
A

at least you've learnt how to spell it now :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 76-1174245250 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:11 pm

stmichael wrote:
Ladeulcateg wrote:G
E
T

A

C
L
U
E

L
A

at least you've learnt how to spell it now :D

I know how to spell it, I tried to register as Daleulcateg but i gave the wrong email address. :D
76-1174245250

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:14 pm

Ladeulcateg wrote:
Redman in wales wrote:

Ok, Benitez signed Crouch, Bellamy and Kuyt. They must be better than Ashton and Anelka.

You know whats even more laughable? Look at Benitez transfer signings. Four quality players he's signed. Fowler, Reina, Alonso and Morientes. One he couldn't get the best out of, one he never uses.

Try coming up with a decent arguement which includes knowledge, fact, experience and opinion rather than pathetic attempts to be little someones knowledge of something.

i'm not talking about his choice of players, i'm talking about the point of buying 18/19 years olds with no intention of putting the straight into the first team, buying them as a young prospect.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1174245250 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:19 pm

Redman in wales wrote:
Ladeulcateg wrote:
Redman in wales wrote:

i'm not talking about his choice of players, i'm talking about the point of buying 18/19 years olds with no intention of putting the straight into the first team, buying them as a young prospect.

So how many of these young prospects are in an around the team?

How many of them have started ONE GAME or even looked like they may have an impact?

Do you ever think he may be signing them to gain a profit in the future? IE sign them for peanuts, get the maximum out of them then release them for half a million or so?

Does that not occur to you?
76-1174245250

Postby stmichael » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:25 pm

The reality of the situation at the moment is there's no Owen or Gerrard. In years gone by, half the team would have a good chance of making it to the first team, but the way things are now I doubt any will become regulars. I don't reckon Carra would have come through if things were like they are now when he was 18. It's really tough these days.

Look at the calibre of players the young lads are competing with for a first team spot. Someone like Ajdarevic looks promising and could be very good in a few years, but he'd have to get past Alonso, Gerrard, Momo and Mascherano to get in our midfield. Spearing and Threlfall are both really good too, but it's hard enough for them to get a game for the reserves.

It doesn't help that the ressies league is so sh#te and so small either. Something has to be done about that, and if it were up to me I'd enter us into another league so there are more games for the young lads. Rafa was talking about this the other day but realistically, it'll never happen.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion