How far away are we? - From a title winning squad

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 76-1174245250 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:06 pm

grayghost wrote:Are defence is one of the best arond and is only gona get beeter with Agger playing more games.
It is plain to see that it is are attack that is so lacking we need a hole new attacking line with 3 to 4 top class sinings.

1-Tevez =15mil Can run with the ball and beat a man make space for  strikers and creates and scores goals. Very good talent and will be one of the best attacking players in years to come.

2-Eto=20mil I think we all can see how good he is and his scoring record speaks for it's self

3-Alves=17mil The best player in spain at the moment his form has been fantastic very attacking player no matter if he is playing right back ur right mid

4-Joaquin=16mil Has not had the best of seasons at his new club not even in the starting line up half the time. But has the skill to unlock any defence if it's with pace and power ur with a pass. Rafa surposerdly tried to sign him before he joined valencia may try to get him again.

................reina.................
Alves....JC.........Agger......rise..
joaqen...SG.....Alonso.......kewell
...........Tevez.......Eto.............

Wot do you think could this team win us the prem
:) :)

Our defence is nowhere near the best around and it makes me laugh when people say this.

Tevez would be an excellent signing and is clearly a top class player but I can't see it happening.
76-1174245250

Postby grayghost » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:09 pm

I think we play are best football with SG and Alonso in the middle the game sems to flow beeter. Momo is great when the opersition are putting pressure on us(eg Barcelona away he was fantastic) but when we put the pressure on teams (eg Man u at home he strugles with his passing abilty)
grayghost

Postby 76-1174245250 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:11 pm

stmichael wrote:
Ladeulcateg wrote:
stmichael wrote:
metalhead wrote:
grayghost wrote:When he is running the game from the middle and wining games. And ya he does usally look unhappy but that never botherd the Mancs with Roy Kean gerrard is not the kind of player who whants to be everyones friend and favorite player he is the captain and he takes it serious when we lose he does't just forget like some players he hates to see Liverpool lose and if he thinksLiverpool could have won with him playing in the middle then he is gonna be unhappy just like any fan would and that's wot SG is a true fan lets not forget it.

bollox, he wasn't unhappy last year when he played on the right and he isn't unhappy either this year, he is and ofcourse all of the team are frustrated that we aren't scoring enough goals

Exactly.

Gerrard has plenty of anonymous games in central midfield yet I dont see the whole 'whats gerrards best position' bandwagon rolling then.

Yes, central midfield is probably gerards best position, but a more attacking central role. Benitezs tactics in a 4-4-2 dictate his 2 central players are required to hold for most of the game, which negates gerrards attacking attributes anyway. At least on the right, he is given more of a free reign to attack and also come inside when he wants.

Once we have an alves or someone of similar quality on the right, gerrard will be able to play more infield, but in the meantime, the team requires him to do a job on the right. A position in which he played in the uefa final in 2001 and scored a goal, and where he played most of last season in arguably his most consistant season, and a position from which he scored 23 goals.

Personally, I'm really bored with the gerrard on the right agenda spun by the media in particular sky. FACT is, hes played some of his best football in a red shirt in that position.'

Why does everyone see Gerrard as an attacking midfielder?

He's a better tackler than he is a passer. He's better at tracking back than opening up a defence. He's more aggressive and determined not to lose and stop good players attacking our goal than scoring goals.

Against United at anfield everytime Ronaldo or Rooney got the ball Gerrard used to sprint 50 yards full pelt just to go and tackle them and everytime he won the ball when others including Carragher failed.

I just think Gerrard has changed Stu. But then, back in the old days, we used to employ a midfield which was almost entirely devoid of 'tricky' wide players meaning that manning the centre of the citadel was less onerous a task than if you have Gonzalez and/or Pennant on the pitch. And, of course, he was nursed by Didi or Gary Mac or sometimes both.

He simply doesn't have the discipline to play centre mid in any game where the other side have anything like a stiff midfield. It's my hobby horse that if we could accommodate Momo, Xabi AND Gerrard in a centre-midfield trio we would have something that no team could match in that department.

And where would your creativety and ball skill come from in that midfield?

Comparing Scholes' on the ball skill, vision and passing to Gerrard's like comparing Sissoko to Alonso. Absoloutely no contest whatsoever.

With Alonso sitting deep aswell there wouldn't be enough about the team in that department to break sides down.

I think Gerrard has the discipline, it was creeping back into his game this season. But the fact is he doesn't have anything to rely on around him to make things happen upfront. The strikers aren't good enough and the wingers this season simply haven't done it. He's also got no full backs that he can rely on. Put Gerrard in Uniteds team ahead of Carrick. How good would the mancs be then?

End of.
76-1174245250

Postby grayghost » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:11 pm

Why not ladicultag we already have the contacts with his mate masherino and you never now we may alrady have first option on him as part of the outher deal
grayghost

Postby grayghost » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:16 pm

Well new players should be ariving next season. when owen was in are team steve and him had a great understanding if we can get a new striker with his kind of movment we will see the best of stevi in a attackin sense
grayghost

Postby grayghost » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:20 pm

You notice Scholes passing and vision more than you would SG because he has 4 world class attacking players to pass to and there movement is beeter than are own if SG had beeter qualty players to pass to and a more attacking style then i think he could be up there with scholes on that appartment
grayghost

Postby 76-1174245250 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:21 pm

grayghost wrote:Well new players should be ariving next season. when owen was in are team steve and him had a great understanding if we can get a new striker with his kind of movment we will see the best of stevi in a attackin sense

Steven Gerrard isn't about that. You do that you take away 50 percent of his game. He's about defending and attacking. He's a box to box midfielder who can do everything. He should be instructed to do everything.

If you instruct him to "attack" then you lose some of his game just as you do when you employ him in that effing "holding role".

Him and Xabi should be the best PAIRING in the country. They have it in them. Stop farting around and play them together with Pennant on the right, Fowler upfront bring in a striker and Kewell on the left.
76-1174245250

Postby 76-1174245250 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:23 pm

grayghost wrote:You notice Scholes passing and vision more than you would SG because he has 4 world class attacking players to pass to and there movement is beeter than are own if SG had beeter qualty players to pass to and a more attacking style then i think he could be up there with scholes on that appartment

:laugh:

Another one on the clueless rose tinted spectacle list.

The detachment from reality on here is actually quite scarey.

Tell you what boys, we're world class. Every players good enoguh and great at everything. Its just unlucky that we are 4th in the league. You've cracked it boys. All down to luck. :D
76-1174245250

Postby grayghost » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:25 pm

So your saying am right then:)
grayghost

Postby 76-1174245250 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:26 pm

grayghost wrote:So your saying am right then:)

Yes mate, thats exactly what I'm saying. What would I know? :laugh:
76-1174245250

Postby stmichael » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:27 pm

Ladeulcateg wrote:
grayghost wrote:Well new players should be ariving next season. when owen was in are team steve and him had a great understanding if we can get a new striker with his kind of movment we will see the best of stevi in a attackin sense

Steven Gerrard isn't about that. You do that you take away 50 percent of his game. He's about defending and attacking. He's a box to box midfielder who can do everything. He should be instructed to do everything.

If you instruct him to "attack" then you lose some of his game just as you do when you employ him in that effing "holding role".

Him and Xabi should be the best PAIRING in the country. They have it in them. Stop farting around and play them together with Pennant on the right, Fowler upfront bring in a striker and Kewell on the left.

The diiference I've noticed Stu, especially this season, is that Gerrard now seems to be thinking about his game rather playing purely on instinct. I don't think that's an easy adjustment for him to make as his entire game is based on simply being better than everyone else so not really having to think; he usually just does.

However, there were clear signs when Sissoko got injured that he was trying hard to listen to Rafa's instructions. Sometimes that has led to games where he has stayed back a bit too much for my liking, but all in all, the balance was better in games such as Chelsea at home.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:28 pm

Ladeulcateg wrote:Right footballers don't ever become something they aren't. Agger will never become something he's not. No player will ever be average then all of a sudden become world class. It doesn't happen.

All the idiots will tell you about Carragher. The fact is that Carragher has improved ever so slightly and has gained confidence, but in general he shows now what he shown as an 18 year old. He still has the same limitations, he still has the same strengths and qualities. He's still a good player just as he was then.

Players will never become something they aren't. End of.

so you're basically saying that a player at 18 or 19 will only ever improve 'slightly' and will never improve enough to go from good to excellent or excellent to world-class

if so why did we just bring in 4 18/19 year olds in january? - if they're not good enough at 19 - whats gonna change them by 20 or 21?

and why are you so harsh on Agger anyway? - nobody else agrees with you. st mick mentioned in this thread that agger and carra are just as solid as rio and vidic. Everyone else thinks agger is a good defender and should be alongside carra next season.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby grayghost » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:28 pm

Do wot give him beeter players arond him and in front of him get rid of the dead wait in the team and get some class players in and SG will get even beeter.:) :)
grayghost

Postby JC_81 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:30 pm

Ladeulcateg wrote:

Pennant needs to start wanting the fu.cking ball before he warrants a start Stu.  Everytime it comes near him he sh.its himself.  It's frustrating, he's obviously got the talent, someone just needs to tell him he does.

I'm still not afraid to say that with our current personnel I'd have Gerrard on the right.  That's not that I don't think he's quality in the centre, I just look at what he did last season scoring 20+ goals and being player of the year from playing regularly on the right.  Don't get me wrong, he's capable of being player of the year if he starts every game in the centre, the key is keeping him in the same position all season and not constantly changing his role, which is exactly why he's having a poor season by his standards.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1174245250 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:34 pm

stmichael wrote:
Ladeulcateg wrote:

The diiference I've noticed Stu, especially this season, is that Gerrard now seems to be thinking about his game rather playing purely on instinct. I don't think that's an easy adjustment for him to make as his entire game is based on simply being better than everyone else so not really having to think; he usually just does.

However, there were clear signs when Sissoko got injured that he was trying hard to listen to Rafa's instructions. Sometimes that has led to games where he has stayed back a bit too much for my liking, but all in all, the balance was better in games such as Chelsea at home.

Which is exactly why he needs better players around him. Wigan away, watch that game mate. We won 4-0 they gave man of the match to Bellamy. Gerrard was simply immense. Best player on the pitch by a mile in the first half, second half he was quality aswell.

This season had Kewell been fit a front six of Bellamy, Fowler, Kewell, Gerrard, Alonso, Pennant I feel would have made us a very very strong side.

Fowler's been criminally underused and Kewell's not been fit. Hence the reason I feel we've gone backwards alot this season. Kuyt certainly has weakened the side and for all his fantastic work rate and attitude the goals and lack of ability to consitently hold the ball up especially from arial balls have cost us big time.
76-1174245250

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion