Houllier - Will the fans ever love him again?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Sun May 16, 2004 3:19 pm

It's crazy to think that only two years ago Houllier was like a god on Merseyside. Houllier inherited a team in decline, a team of underachievers, spice boys an all. One by one, out they went, in came Houlliers new breed. We started winning again, we were going places, i believed, we all believed. The treble was unbelievable, LFC were winners again. The following season the man nearly lost his life working for this club, but back he came on that unforgetable night against Roma. The fans loved GH as one of their own. It is spooky to see how quickly life in football can change for the men at the top.

Will the fans ever fall back in love with Houllier? I don't know that i can see it happening? Short of Gh winning us the league next (or the following season) i'm not sure we will hear 40,000 fans singing Allez Houllier again.

Of course a manager lives and dies by his results/signings. But Houllier has alienated many LFC supporters for a combination of other reasons. A few i have listed below.

1- an obsession with the tabloid media, the spin has been constant this season, hearing how we are always making progress, excuses repeated time after time, the 'we ave won 6 trophies' line when it is really 4.

2- Houlliers post match interviews have left us absolutely baffled at times this season, often leaving the fans wondering if they were watching the same game. Not once does he hold his hands up and give us an honest apprasial of the game, if we play ****** i would prefer the manager to come out and tell us so.

3- GH makes little attempt to hide his disregard/disrespect for LFC fans who use forums, boards to voice their opinions + several veiled comments about the support at anfield   

Personally i believe results will be better next season with Houllier in the hot seat but i prey we get off to a fast start or the fans will turn very quickly. The board are taking an enormous risk.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Sun May 16, 2004 4:00 pm

Sure they will, if he wins the premiership or CL
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun May 16, 2004 6:03 pm

Football fans are notoriously fickle, and although Liverpool fans are a class apart when it comes to support, many of the less well educated (football wise) LFC fans are fickle also. This highlighted by this forum daily.

People with Houllier out etc as their names on this forum frankly embaress the good name of LFC supporters, and I am sure they were called Allez Allez or the like in the treble seaoson.

If success comes next season, you can rest assured the same fans who have called for his head will be singing his praises.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Sun May 16, 2004 7:54 pm

Sure will Leon!

I find it Hillarious that some posts are slating GH about things that have not happened or are media generated spin!
There have been some crackers posted today!

GH has brought this club a long way since the spice boys, look how professional the players have become!
The Squad was a mess when he first took over!
Hardly the foundations to build an imediate era of success!
Stevie Gerrard  shows how well GH has drilled them profesionally and this is probably why the 2 are very close!

I have every confidence GH will take this team further and the saying of "ROME wasnt built in a day" never rings more true then now!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jack66 » Sun May 16, 2004 8:01 pm

wot a load of ******
jack66

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun May 16, 2004 8:12 pm

You're a load of ****** Jack. Post something positive.

You obviously have no footballing knowledge whatso-ever.

Next...
115-1073096938

Postby jack66 » Sun May 16, 2004 8:20 pm

how do u know i havent any football knowledge? and wots the positives with houllier being in charge for most probably another year?
jack66

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun May 16, 2004 8:28 pm

What are the positives over the last 5 years and what are the negatives going to be next season mystic meg?
115-1073096938

Postby jack66 » Sun May 16, 2004 8:42 pm

30 points behind arsenal is positive i suppose..why did they push roy evans out in his last season in sole charge when we finished 13 points behind arsenal in 3rd place..done great houllier hasnt he
jack66

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun May 16, 2004 8:46 pm

Evans failed to stamp out the drinking/clubbing culture. GH, give him his dues, stamped that out and brought discipline back to the squad.  For that he's twice the manager Evans was and thats before we look at the trophy count!
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jack66 » Sun May 16, 2004 8:52 pm

yep but you would have swapped 6 trophies for 1 league title.
jack66

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun May 16, 2004 8:55 pm

we would NEVER have won the league with Evans.  I'm willing to give GH one last season and i say get behind him
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun May 16, 2004 8:58 pm

What an idiot.

That is simply a stupid way of looking at it.

Houllier has done a good job so far. Next season he has to get it spot on or his good work goes down the drain.

30 points behind Arsenal...

Chelsea spent our five years sepnding this one season alone and finished 11 points behind Arsenal. Arsenal have had a freak season, as have Chelsea, as have Liverpool and Newcastle.

As O'Leary said, he doesn't see Liverpool and Newcastle being this close to the rest of the pack next season, he said himself it was a great chance for Villa to get into the CL as he doesn't think this will happen again next season.

I agree with him.

Houllier has turned Owen and Gerrard into what they are today and has built a decent squad of players aswell as winning a few cups. Liverpool will improve next season and they will improve alot.
115-1073096938

Postby jack66 » Sun May 16, 2004 9:08 pm

i agree, we wouldnt have won the title under evans but his record wasnt that bad compared to houllier in the league and he was in charge for 4years..so why is houllier any different.Time for a change.
jack66

Postby jack66 » Sun May 16, 2004 9:12 pm

owen and gerrard came through the academy, why has houllier made them what they are today? They would have made it without kermit..
jack66

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion