Make him a sign - Houllier misread fans message

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Red » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:55 am

Gerrard Houllier today refuted accusastions that his Liverpool team are playing negatively and urged the fans to understand the position the team is in.

Frustration among some supporters boiled over at Anfield during last night's 2-1 win against Manchester City when the boss replaced the Bruno Cheyrou with the more defence-minded Igor Biscan.

Houllier admits he was surprised at the reaction of the crowd, especially as the victory took the Reds up into the much-coveted fourth place in the Premiership, but that he had his reasons for adopting such tactics.

He thought you were booing his tactics, not the player. Make him a sign "Biscan is Rubbish" and in french too, to make sure he gets the message.

Full Article
Football is a simple game, all you have to do is pass the ball to a player in a red shirt.
Red
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:19 am

No-one booed from what i heard. Was mainly just groans.

I don't think its a bad thing tactically. Anything to get the result. But i agree i don't want Biscan near the first team.
115-1073096938

Postby supersub » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:58 am

stu_the_red wrote:No-one booed from what i heard.

The Kop most definitely booed when Biscan came on.Although I don't believe it was particularly aimed at him,I think it was borne out of the frustration that had built up during the game.After we scored in the 3rd minute,one would assume a Liverpool side brimming with talent,playing a very poor man.city team,had the ability and drive to go on and finish the game off.Sadly the age old cautious approach was adopted and many in the Anfield throng sensed we could fall for the sucker punch.Sure enough city came out in the 2nd half much re-vigorated,feeling they were still in a game and promptly equalised.Thankfully our response was immediate but once again we decided shortly after the 2nd goal with half hour to play that we should hold on to what we have.Pongolle on for Kewell,instead of Heskey would of helped keep the play in the city half but once Murphy was on it was backs to the wall time.Biscan was the final insulting straw for many.I don't condone the actions of booing but I can understand the feelings that can create that reaction from die-hard fans.
  Gerard Houllier heard the boos and they weren't from arm-chair fans or radio phone-in fanatics but from dyed in the wool Koppites.GH would do well to heed the warning for the tide is a changing,beware the ides of March.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby oldredeyes » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:47 pm

Supersub - You are absolutely spot on with that analysis and appraisal of the situation. Couldn't agree more.
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:23 pm

Most definately a correct assesment, have a cookie.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby DAV » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:42 pm

we are negative and cr#p and only person to blame is houlier
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion