Houllier - Will the fans ever love him again?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun May 16, 2004 9:13 pm

Because with Houllier there has been and is a belief. There has also been evidence he can deliver.

With Evans it was hope, MASSIVE difference.

They are miles apart.

Houllier is a very good manager. There isn't anyone better out there at present who is available. Gerard will get it right. We are getting there.
115-1073096938

Postby jack66 » Sun May 16, 2004 9:18 pm

i disagree, but i hope you are right because 14 years is a long time, so i suppose another year without the title wont make much difference.
jack66

Postby stmichael » Sun May 16, 2004 9:25 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Houllier has turned Owen and Gerrard into what they are today.

what the hell are you on about? steven gerrard and michael owen made themselves into world class players by their own personal commitment and sheer hard work. michael owen had scored goals in a world cup before houllier had even taken sole charge of the club.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby XSD » Sun May 16, 2004 9:35 pm

stmichael wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:Houllier has turned Owen and Gerrard into what they are today.

what the hell are you on about? steven gerrard and michael owen made themselves into world class players by their own personal commitment and sheer hard work. michael owen had scored goals in a world cup before houllier had even taken sole charge of the club.

However I bet when a player performs badly you blame Houllier for it.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun May 16, 2004 9:39 pm

XSD wrote:However I bet when a player performs badly you blame Houllier for it.

only if they're playing consistently bad but houllier keeps picking them. a certain croat defender springs to mind.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Sun May 16, 2004 9:41 pm

Redtribe wrote:I have every confidence GH will take this team further and the saying of "ROME wasnt built in a day" never rings more true then now!

Fk me, have you been to Rome lately ? It's a sh*thole .
:laugh:  :D  :laugh:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Sun May 16, 2004 9:41 pm

the premiership has been very intriguing this year, especially outside the top three. however, arsenal aside, the quality has been poor imo.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun May 16, 2004 10:00 pm

And?

Owen was hot prospect when Houllier took over. Prospects who don't get the right coaching from an early age become like Robbie Fowler, Joe Cole, Steve McManaman. Look at Ferdinand before he signed for Leeds, nothing more than a decent player. Now he's world class.

Players need coaching to become world class. Don't sit there and talk ****** about natural evoloution because it doesn't wash. There are and where players better than Owen and Gerrard who don't make it for one reason or another and there always will be.

Gerrard has learnt by playing a defensive role, an attacking role, playing out wide and playing at right back. They have all contributed to making him the player he is today. To deny that is to deny fact.
115-1073096938

Postby jack66 » Sun May 16, 2004 10:20 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Prospects who don't get the right coaching from an early age become like Robbie Fowler, Joe Cole, Steve McManaman.

why has joe cole been badly coached?
jack66

Postby jack66 » Sun May 16, 2004 10:25 pm

or shall i say wrongly.
jack66

Postby rse » Sun May 16, 2004 10:44 pm

I have serious doubts about Houllier's attitude to the mediocre season we have just experienced.  He seems to believe that finishing fourth is some sort of major achievement and he's basically telling everybody to get off his back.

Before the match this weekend he was quoted as saying 'We have nothing to prove' because we had qualified for the qualifiers of the Champs League.

Well, I would say that winning four games on the bounce was something to prove, seeing as we hadnt managed it all season.
Unfortunately, we got an average performance from a team that wasnt prepared to commit itself and the midfield hung around just ahead of the back four.  Newcastle were sh#ting themselves holding on to that draw and with a little more positive attitude I think we could have finished them off.

They had nothing to prove though.  The manager told them that, and the team certainly played like it.  Houllier cant motivate, and he has an attitude that says....we finished fourth so leave me alone.

Its not good enough, but what concerns me, is that the manager thinks it is.
'Sing When We're Standing' is an audio cd of the Kop recorded at Anfield during the last ever game standing in 1994.  Quite simply, its the power and passion of the Kop captured on cd.  For more details and to hear a sample from the cd please visit www.kopcd.co.uk
rse

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun May 16, 2004 10:54 pm

2 things:

finishing fourth is some sort of major achievement

GH got angry at his last press conference because the press claimed this!  He is far from happy in finishing 4th!  Bascially this was the best of a bad situation and i agree.

2:

i disagree, but i hope you are right because 14 years is a long time, so i suppose another year without the title wont make much difference.

are you a wind up merchant?  I only ask 'cos u talk ****** 90% of the time  :O
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby daddyo » Sun May 16, 2004 11:32 pm

We's none of us happy finishing fourth but the problem seems to be Houllier's lack of 'responsibility'when the assesment of the squad comes around.

Who remembers his line about Biscan becoming an 'awesome centre back' ?
If he wanted an awesome centre back (which incidentally we do need) why didn't he spend the money he spent on Biscan on a centre back?
Doesn't make sense to me.

The players he's bought that have not performed will probably have to be given a little more time, as we'd lose shed loads of cash if we tried to sell them now and some of them aren't that bad anyway.

However that said He will be here for another season at least and lets hope he delivers within that time.

But i'll put my marker down now, if we win anything by playing *****, negative, boring football i'll still shout 'Houllier out' because thats not what we want to see.
daddyo

Postby glenbuck patriot » Mon May 17, 2004 12:55 am

"The Frenchman" (To use the words of a true Liverpudlian Ian St John), said this week That "People were saying we should go back to the 60's & 70's way........ but not under him",

GREAT, BYE BYE & GOOD RIDDANCE:

A few statistics;

WE WON the following in the 60's & 70's Playing the LIVERPOOL WAY!;

7 League Championships
2European Cups
2 UEFA Cups
2 FA Cups
4 Manager of the year
4 Football writers Player of the year.... in that period!

THREE words to describe HOW we played under first Bill Shankly (A man GH is always quoting) & second Bob Paisley (The most succesful Manager in the English game)!

PASS and MOVE!

Who disagree's?

Arsenal have won the league this season at a canter, playing flowing "pass & move football",

Bye the way it's in inverted comma's because it USED to be the trademark of the way LIVERPOOL played!

Now people can slag me for this OLD fashioned way of thinking, BUT it got the results THEN and is getting Arsenal the results NOW, and the MANC's the results for the last ten years (How SAD is that)!

SO Why is it SO Wrong NOW!

It also got the French squad their World Cup in '98, a feat we were ALL led to believe was Masterminded by Monsieur Houllier!

My take on ALL of this is that 4th maybe able to paper over the crack's for the board, and enable them to take "Non Threatening" money from the Thai President.....

But it leaves TWO REAL Issue's

1; Does ANYONE trust GH with Money in the transfer market anymore?

2;What kind of FOOTBALL does he (GH) have in mind for US?,

Hopefully not the dross we have had to witness for the past two season's.

I would welcome comment's re "Pass & Move" as I don't think any like minded Liverpool FAN would disagree.

I await your support, unless we have developed a NEW way of playing FOOTBALL,whilst I've been the Pub!

(Stu I'm expecting you to say I'm ******, stupid,GH IS A GOD, I hate cops, pick on you only because you are a cop, am NOT a fan, but....., ahhh forget it)!
Pirrie Labour Club 1976 Bill Shankly Prize giving at local ABA Championships.

"You've been booked in to do a three round exhibition bout tonight Bill."

" My fights don't last three rounds SON!"
glenbuck patriot

Postby Redtribe » Mon May 17, 2004 10:27 am

woof woof ! wrote:
Redtribe wrote:I have every confidence GH will take this team further and the saying of "ROME wasnt built in a day" never rings more true then now!

Fk me, have you been to Rome lately ? It's a sh*thole .
:laugh:  :D  :laugh:

lol no i havnt!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion