Houllier warned by moores - Could houllier be nearing the end?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bring Dalglish back » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:11 pm

Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier was warned today by David Moores (according to the BBC) that he must ensure Champions League qualification or face the consequences.
I agree with this 100%.
I mean, if we don't qualify for the Champions League, which is the holy grail for top clubs such as ourselves, we could potentially lose TOP players like Owen and we don't want that to happen.
No disrespect to Fulham or other teams just behind us at the moment in the league, but we can't let the fourth spot go. Remeber what happened at Bradford a few seasons ago and at Chelsea last year. Let's have no repeat of any of those, nail-biting games, which in the end, we were left reeling at the consequences.
"People Say football is a matter of life and death" , " I believe it is much more important than that", Bill Shankly.
Bring Dalglish back
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:39 pm

When did this happen?  Was it on Sky Sports News, newspapers, etc...?
jonnymac1979

Postby Owzat » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:40 pm

Try BBC website mate, it doesn't say anything we didn't already know (bar the odd statistic)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:51 pm

Owzat wrote:Try BBC website mate, it doesn't say anything we didn't already know (bar the odd statistic)

Nice one.  I see what you mean, nothing new.
jonnymac1979

Postby Chinesegirl » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:21 pm

rank the forth is my biggist dream this season.
watch match on tv to support LFC now
watch mathc in anfield to support several years later!
i'll study hard for LFC
Chinesegirl

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:43 pm

A good move, his neck is now officialy on the line.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:46 pm

Finally some movement.  GH has Hamman talking like a loser not the winner he is.  Tony Cottee said it all last night on Your On Sky Sports. Not good enough not good enough not good enough. He added that we don't have enough quality and that Houlier had mis-spent his 100 million whilst Chelsea spent wisely. Everything that many people here have been saying for a while.  We might be on to something here

This is liverpool not Little Houliers Experiment
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby 116-1065305004 » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:54 pm

Al
116-1065305004

Postby oldredeyes » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:42 pm

David Moores is actually covering his own back in his letter and annual report to shareholders and directors etc. The truth is that David himself would be under scrutiny if we failed yet again to get into the top four. He now intends to put some distance between himself and GH before it all hits the fan in a few months time.
The good thing is that he is now on record and must make the changes needed at the club to bring success.
If GH has any sense he will be tying up a new job before Christmas ready for a move in the new year. The club need to make radical changes - we have suffered ridicule long enough thanks to a diabolical 'five year plan' - more like five years wasted. Our priority is to build a squad of at least 17 top class players. At the moment we have got about six or seven players who fit the bill. The rest should be sold quickly and replaced with people who have skill, ability and guts - and don't need five years to adjust to the premiership. The back room guys will also be shaken up when the revolution starts - for they have followed blindly in the path of Houdini and will fall on the same sword.
Depressed? I'm not ! This could be the kick up the backside they all need at LFC - and the start of better things to come. From now on we only want winners at the club
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:45 am

I think Moores made a mistake in saying anything. It was pretty much common knowledge that fourth was a minimum requirement, now we can't jettison him mid-season. There will also be this "ultimatum" hanging over Houllier and he may not like that. Perhaps he will not stick around if he does go at the end of the season, not that I care where he is as long as it isn't at Anfield
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:58 pm

Barring something crazy happening now, it looks like Houllier will be given at least until the end of the season.

However, I have a feeling that Moores will bottle it and keep Houllier if we finish 5, missing out to Newcastle in the last game.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby THEBARON » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:22 pm

Yes it looks like Houllier's position is now secure until the end of the season. Moores cannot now sack Houllier when he has publicly said that things will be judged at the end of the season.But ask yourself whether finishing 4th ( and a mile away from the  top 3 ) is acceptable given that over £ 100 million has been spent and the manager will have been at Anfield over 5 years.
If we do finish 4th then Houllier will proclaim the season a success and continue to mismanage for a following season.We will find the extra cash useful but continue to underachieve as Houllier continues to pick the wrong players and waste more money in the transfer market.
If we finish outside the top 4 then hopefully Houllier will be asked to leave. By then it will be too late. Certain players will probably depart and it will be far harder to attract ( and pay for ) new players.
The time to act is now.
THEBARON

Postby leothelion » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:44 pm

have to agree but looks like we have no other choice but wait till may lets just hope for miracles between now and then and hope that moores lines someone else up to take over no matter where we finish
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
"MEMBER OF BEAVIS CREW"
leothelion
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redandblue » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:30 pm

David Moores comments were an accurate reflection of the ambitions of LFC. Since when did finishing fourth constitute success?? Moores and Parry have tolerated mediocrity for many years, including the Souness years. This is not a recent thing!! The Board thinks that fourth is OK and that's what we are stuck with. That's why Michael Owen will leave, and rightly so.

Moores inherited a lot of money, but he is bascially rather thick. His stubborn refusal to get rid of Houllier has damaged the club and he will hold on to his manager, even if we don't get fourth spot. Believe me, Houllier will be here next season. Moores doesn't have the balls to sack him.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:31 pm

I think it was the right thing to say at the right time.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion