Houllier criticises boumsong - Was boumsong right to join rangers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Houllier criticises boumsong - Was boumsong right to join rangers?

Yes, it was his decision to go where he chose
No votes
No, he agreed to join Liverpool although nothing was signed
20%
Don't care, he isn't coming to Anfield so what does it matter
80%

Total votes : 5

Postby Owzat » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:38 am

Taken from www.bbc.co.uk

Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier has branded Jean-Alain Boumsong "deceitful" after the Auxerre player blamed him for the collapse of his move to Anfield
Boumsong claims he agreed to join Rangers because Houllier went back on a deal to bring him to Liverpool - but Houllier says that is nonsense.

"What Boumsong said is both deceitful and incorrect and Auxerre know this," Houllier told the club's website.

"Signing for Rangers is making a choice based on money."

The 24-year-old French player has agreed to join Rangers in the summer but he claims he had already struck a deal to move to Anfield.

"I awaited confirmation, but nothing came," said Boumsong.

Boumsong gave me his word that he would join Liverpool, we even shook hands

"After waiting until November I understood Houllier did not want me. I found this attitude a bit surprising.

"The way he treats players tarnishes the grandiose image of this club. I am fed up with him."

But Houllier claims that an agreement had been reached to sign Boumsong but that the player and his camp changed their minds for financial reasons.

"The player gave me his word that he would join Liverpool, and we even shook hands," said Houllier.

"Everything was clear, including his salary and the length of his contract.

"I then learned that he and his agent had decided to sell him to the highest bidder from among Inter Milan, Juventus and Rangers.

"As far as I was concerned the matter was finished and I wish him good luck."
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:09 am

Liverpool may have lost out on a player rated by Houllier but perhaps it is for the better, we have enough French or previously French -based players and generally, they have not earned their keep - perhaps it is because of the fact that the Premiership is a bit too much of high tempo and more physical environment. That Danish striker at AC Milan John Dahl Tomasson (i forgot his real name) struggled in England but found his game in Italy.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:13 am

Saha struggled at Newcastle, went away and came back at Fulham and has now signed for Man Utd. I suspect some clubs just sign players and expect them to be able to adapt, that isn't always the case and not always the player's fault. We fans tend to blame the players, but it can also be the club, system or just the style of football they are asked to play.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:22 am

Gattuso played for Rangers for a while and last season he was probably the best midfield destroyer in the world....the new Roy Keane.

Boumsong said its a stepping stone to something bigger but I tend to agree that it has to be money related.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Owzat » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:45 pm

"stepping stone to something bigger" - he's having a giraffe ain't he?
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:36 pm

I tend to believe the player! Its not to his advantage to screw other managers over.  Lets face it if Houllier wanted his man then he would have got him.  I believe many top players would do the same. Just look at are current players, regardless of what Owen said or did'nt say there's no smoke without fire.  There are too many people turning the back on Liverpool, Boumsong talked of a grandiose image,
Grandiose = Large and impressive
or another definition trying to seem impressive.
Regarding the trying bit I find GH very trying indeed.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby redandblue » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:02 pm

Houllier's comment about Baumsong going for money doesn't quite ring true. Rangers are in dire financial trouble........debts of £68m and selling players just to pay the interest. Rangers cannot compete with Liverpool when it comes to money.

It's not a money issue.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion